KIPS return spring

Got questions? We got answers....
Piet

KIPS return spring

Post by Piet »

On my KDX 220 the KIPS does not seem to return.
I have opened the left cover and turned the 10mm bolt. Looking through the exhaust port everything seems operational.
Problem is the shaft turns very easy but does not return automatic. Feels like a spring somewhere is missing.
With the bike running the shaft turns as it should but I have to assist it to the closed position.
Where is the spring located that should return everything to the closed position? Top side of engine or below at the govener?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KIPS return spring

Post by Julien D »

It is all in the governor assembly. It is likely that the pin at the bottom that rides in the governor was bent or broken while the left hand nut on top of the pawl gear was being removed.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KIPS return spring

Post by scheckaet »

that would be my guess too, that or the valves are badly gummed up (less likely).
Check my sig for newb info :wink:
replace that stock piston on that 220 while you're at it :wink: ...
welcome to the site.
Piet

Post by Piet »

Julien D wrote:It is all in the governor assembly. It is likely that the pin at the bottom that rides in the governor was bent or broken while the left hand nut on top of the pawl gear was being removed.
That means opening the sub clutch cover? (or whatever it is called). Read a lot and watched some videos about that left hand threaded nut.

Will the valves still operate with a bent or broken pin in the governor? The flapper valve and sub ports do open as the I rev the bike. They just do not return properly.
Piet

KIPS return spring

Post by Piet »

scheckaet wrote:that would be my guess too, that or the valves are badly gummed up (less likely).
Check my sig for newb info :wink:
replace that stock piston on that 220 while you're at it :wink: ...
welcome to the site.
Doubt the valves are gummed up. They operate easy when taking a 10 socket to the left side of the shaft.
When doing the same on my 200 I feel the spring loaded resistance which I do not feel with the 220.

Thanks for the newb info link. Have already done most of that. (Edit: Trying to sort out the carb. Seems previous owners went way off with needles and jets)
I have no doubt that the piston on this one has already been replaced. Just trying to find out from the previous owner/s when last it was done. Might just replace it again if I can't track them down.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Possibly, If it's bent and catching. If it's broken it likely would not operate at all. If the gears operate smoothly without the pawl gear in place, the problem certainly lies somewhere in the governor. Removing the inner clutch cover is not a big deal. It helps if you remove the rear brake lever first. It will be pretty obvious how that stuff works once you get a look at it.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

KIPS return spring

Post by KarlP »

You can tell if it is the governor or gummed up valves by removing that pawl gear and operating the valves from the left side.
I had one of the shafts for the subports get really stiff in its bore and the valves would close slowly or not at all.
You sure can tell from the way it runs when those valves don't close.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Piet

KIPS return spring

Post by Piet »

I removed the gear on the right hand side. (the left handed thread nut)

Turned the shaft clockwise:
- The first few mm was loose.
- Then I could feel the spring tension.
- Then it slipped past whatever is now loose (can turn loosely for about 1/4 turn)

So will have to remove the right cover to get access and see what is bent/broken/misaligned.

Been reading up a bit. Can I do it as follow?
- Drain water and oil.
- Keep water pump and clutch cover in place
- Remove the secondary clutch cover with the other two covers in tact?
Piet

KIPS return spring

Post by Piet »

Ok so I tried. Yes you can remove the right cover including the water pump and clutch cover in tact. Easy job. Just one of the clutch cover bolts that goes straight through also to be removed.

The culprit was a bent pin. Will see if I can post a pic later. But in this case it was bent closed. In other words the previous guy that worked on it did not support the shaft when he tightened the left handed nut.

Bent it straight and back on and working perfect.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KIPS return spring

Post by scheckaet »

Piet wrote:Bent it straight and back on and working perfect.
Do NOT use this pin, it WILL break and cause a lot more damages when the pieces are jumping around...
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

KIPS return spring

Post by bufftester »

scheckaet wrote:
Piet wrote:Bent it straight and back on and working perfect.
Do NOT use this pin, it WILL break and cause a lot more damages when the pieces are jumping around...
+10 Once it's been bent (and now rebent) it is going to break and then you risk much more damage. replace it.
Piet

KIPS return spring

Post by Piet »

Please let me know if you can see the image below.

scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KIPS return spring

Post by scheckaet »

yup it's toast.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I wouldn't risk it. That little guy can cause a lot of damage when it's bouncing around in there.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Piet

KIPS return spring

Post by Piet »

Thanks for the feedback. Love the knowledge on this site.

Have ordered a new one. Only R100 (about $10). Probably expensive compared to US prices.

Such a struggle to get parts around here. Something as simple like the needle Kawasaki don't have stock and have to import.