Got me a new 02 220!

Got questions? We got answers....
russell3

Got me a new 02 220!

Post by russell3 »

Finally saw a 220 on the classifieds and picked it up! I don't really have any questions at this point about the bike, I just thought I'd brag :razz:

It's a little bit of a fixer upper. It needs a new seat...badly. Easy to fix though. I will probably grab a real cheap cover and see how it goes. If the foam is too messed up, then I'll break down and get a guts racing seat probably.

The bike seems to be fairly low hours, but has been kind of abused in some respects. It badly needed a carb cleaning, but the motor sounds good, no rattles or anything. As far as the PO knows, a top end has never been done, so that's first on the list. Don't want my new bike to grenade. It also just wasn't washed, it was kind of a dirty bike, but it'll clean up nice. The plastics were a touch faded, but really no scratches. I think they'll clean up nice.

When I bought it, they guy was having an awful time starting it. I was about to walk away. Turned out, the fuel in the float bowl was pretty varnished up. We drained it and it started right up. It bogged pretty bad, like it was out of gas. After cleaning the carb last night, it's way better, but still doesn't want to come off the bottom. it acts like it's starving for fuel. I'm thinking reeds are to blame. The air screw had near zero effect as well, so that also makes me think reeds. I'm going to pull them out and check them.

Anyway, lots of work to do on it, but overall a great bike. I'm excited to get it out riding, but around here, there's too much snow for the next month or two. Gives me time to fix it up. :boogie:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Got me a new 02 220!

Post by bufftester »

Before you go wasting time and money on reeds pull the carb off, disassemble it and clean it thoroughly. If the float fuel you drained off was really that bad then the innards are in need of TLC. The fact that the AS had no affect also indicates that the carb is gummed up internally. Once you think you've got it cleaned, go back and do it again. Then the usual recipe for a KDX goes: INspect intake/exhaust tracts and ensure no holes/tears/rips/missing bits; Fresh fuel/oil, new plug, clean filter, repacked silencer; then follow the jetting guide. It sounds like a bunch of work but it goes quick and it works every time. A shop manual and a torque wrench are required IMO for proper maintenance. Welcome to the site and congrats on your new mount. A little love and she'll stay under you for years!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Got me a new 02 220!

Post by scheckaet »

russell3 wrote:As far as the PO knows, a top end has never been done, so that's first on the list. Don't want my new bike to grenade.
:bravo: :boogie:
smart move!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yep, carb cleaning would be the number one thing of about 100 to do.

Congrats on the KDX!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Fitterman24
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Got me a new 02 220!

Post by Fitterman24 »

And after all that, tear into the swingarm, shock dog bone linkage and neck bearings before the riding season. I'm in the middle of all that myself. My 220 will be good to go this spring. My neck and dog bone bearings weren't trashed, but the swingarm ones were so bad I ruined the bolt trying to get it out. My bike ran great and looked clean and well taken care of when I bought it. Welcome to the club!
russell3

Post by russell3 »

Thanks for the replies. I did get the carb cleaned, but like you guys are saying, there must be some more gunk in there somewhere. I blew air through all the holes and it seemed like it was flowing freely. I'll have to try again, maybe I'll try blasting some carb cleaner in there or soaking it in gas or something to get the crap loosened up. The inside of the carb was actually very clean. The gas was bad, but it didn't leave any deposits or anything in the float bowl. The PO was using klotz super techniplate oil, which is part castor oil, kinda like castor 927. maybe some of the castor oil has gummed it up some? I know castor can dry out and get all gummy and sticky.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Check the filter screens in your petcock!!!! If they're torn you'll never get the carb clean. Trust me.
2002 KDX 200
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

When you clean the carb completely disassemble it; take all the jets out. Then liberal use of spray carb cleaner and air. Don't drop your carb in a dip tank, yo run the risk of damaging the jet block gasket (replaceable but a PITA). Just remember that when you spray into a hole, it comes out somewhere else, so use eye protection (yes, I have done it...more than once :roll: ).
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

+1 on what he said.
bufftester wrote: Just remember that when you spray into a hole, it comes out somewhere else, so use eye protection (yes, I have done it...more than once :roll: ).
Bahhh! how did you know I did that too??? :busted:
russell3

Post by russell3 »

I cleaned it out again and while I was at it, took a peek at the reeds. Reeds are perfect. I spent a lot of time blowing out holes and spraying carb cleaner. I think I did get more crap out of the pilot circuit. I put it back together and mixed up some fresh gas too. It runs much better now and the air screw seems to actually make a difference, but not much. It's very rideable now, but it still hesitates some when you open the throttle. I'm thinking one more size up on the pilot may help. I happen to have a 44 pilot laying around that I'll try. The jets and needle are all stock, 145 main, 42 pilot, 3 clip position, and the needle is the 1173 I believe. I can't wait to take it out for a test ride, but it's been so rainy and snowy here. I may go Saturday for a spin, but it'll be a mud mire. As soon as I sell my xr200, I am going to order the parts for the top end and a couple other things.

Also, the bike has the power core 2 silencer on it, which isn't spark arrested. I wouldn't normally care, but I plan on racing and they will check for spark arrestors. I need to get a turbine core or the stock one. Anyone got either for cheap? I am going to go check the site classifieds right now to see if anyone is parting with said parts....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Got me a new 02 220!

Post by scheckaet »

before you do anything carb wise, I suggest your read (or re-read) the jetting how to section. check my sig there is a link.
going up on the pilot seems a bit odd, you'll most likely need to go down...
JasonK94Z

Got me a new 02 220!

Post by JasonK94Z »

SCHECKAET - Any way you could contact me? Just moved down here to Moore, OK with a new to me KDX 220. :busted:
2002 KDX 220R
2003 KLR 650
russell3

Got me a new 02 220!

Post by russell3 »

scheckaet wrote:before you do anything carb wise, I suggest your read (or re-read) the jetting how to section. check my sig there is a link.
going up on the pilot seems a bit odd, you'll most likely need to go down...
I've read and reread this(it was probably the first post I read pretty much since joining, lol). I'm not a total beginner when it comes to jetting, but this guide helps a lot. I'm a little more familiar with 4 stroke jetting though because most of my bikes have been 4 strokes over the years. I think the problem I'm having with this particular bike is the air screw just doesn't seem to make much difference. I'm going to do a top end in the bike anyway because it's a 220 and I think it's still on the original top end, but maybe the top end is wore out and that's why the response isn't so great.

I did try that 44 pilot jet. I only tried it because it was sitting around in my garage. I don't think it made much difference, but I think I liked the 42 better, so I'm going to get a 40 at some point and try that. I'm at 4500 feet here in Utah, so typically, that means leaner jetting, but I also have the fmf gnarly woods pipe(I'm pretty sure it's woods anyway) on it. The pipe would normally need a little more of a rich jet I would think, or am I backwards? This usually means that a combination of pipe and altitude usually puts me right around stock jetting.

The needle may need some adjustment too, but I can't really screw with it much until the pilot is jetted right.(or at least close enough)

I may go out and ride tomorrow on it for the first time, I have to get that first ride out of my system, but the weather sucks around here right now. Hopefully it'll be nice enough. The ride will tell me a little more about the jetting too. Sometimes you have to ride it on real terrain and not just the driveway to get a good feel for it.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Got me a new 02 220!

Post by scheckaet »

you are mostly right, however, the jetting is pig rich from factory. I'd bet you'll be happier with a 40, maybe even a 38...
there's only 1 way to know...
russell3

Post by russell3 »

I put the 42 back in and it's better than the 44. Just for fun, I started screwing with the needle clip. I went one leaner, so 2nd from the top. It was terrible! I went the other way and put the clip 2nd from the bottom, one richer than stock. It was pretty good. It seems that the pilot is pretty close, but if I roll on the throttle, at about 1/2 or 5/8 throttle is bogs a second before lighting up good. If I wack it open, I get about the same thing, a short bog, then it lights up. maybe I need to screw with my main jet then? maybe a different taper on the needle? I think I'm happy with the pilot circuit at this point. If I live in the 0 to 1/4 throttle range, I get no bogs or stalls, works great. If I wack open the throttle when the rpm's are already up a ways, it doesn't bog or anything. I'm thinking a little lean on top still. I think when I order my top end, I'll order a spread of jets too. I don't think I'm going to get it perfect until I get the new top end and the new exhaust I need.(need spark arrester, it has a fmf powercore 2 on it, I'll probably get a turbine core 2)
russell3

Post by russell3 »

oh, one more thing I forgot, I do have a 155 main laying around, I will try it when I get a chance, just for fun and to see what it does, but I think it's going to be too many steps different and probably will be too rich, but I won't know until I try it. :mrgreen:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I know it has been said on this forum a thousand times (at least), and everyone is sick of repeating it...but...the only way to get the jetting right without wasting a lot of time is to go through the jetting guide step by step - in order - without skipping anything or jumping around. the reward is a properly jetted, nearly splooge free ride that will take on anything you throw at it. Or you can jump around and randomly throw needles and pilots and whatever at it for a year until you stumble on a combo that works. I'd rather spend my riding time riding than tuning, but thats just me.