12T front sprocket

Got questions? We got answers....
vlxk98

12T front sprocket

Post by vlxk98 »

I have read through several posts about gearing trying to decide what to do about gearing.
Currently I have a 13/47 combo (95/200) that has done well for the most part in the terrain I ride, hilly, rocky, some tight single track, some open 5th 6th gear hare scramble sections.

The problem I have run into is getting false neutrals going from first to second, doesn't matter clutch or not. A fellow member here suggested a 12T front to get into second more so the neutral problem is averted. And I see several memebers have and do run 12T front with even larger rear than the 47 I have. My question is does the 12T cause the chain to rub the rubber guide on the front of the swing arm more aggressively?

I will be buying a new chain very soon but I thought with the next Hare Scramble coming up March 1st, I might try the 12T to see if it helps with keeping the missed shift problem at bay until I can get more time to dig deeper into the problem.

Next question, the bike had a brand new o-ring chain on it when I resued it. The chain was a bit too wide for the chain guide and rubbed pretty bad. It also looked like, and I'm going to reinstall it to make sure, it rubbed the case around the front sprocket. Any of you have that issue?
ICRage42
Supporting Member

12T front sprocket

Post by ICRage42 »

From what Ive found from my same neutral problems was this.

My shifter although tight with bolt still had some slop to it. I simple took it off and cleaned it good and also slightly smashed the ends a little closer and replaced onto bike and it helped a ton with very few false neutrals. But was still there especially when needed it.

I had switched to ATF because it was raved here a lot but have to come find out that also helped with my false neutrals. Ive since switched back to the recommended and I very seldom get a false neutral. At the times I do Im more thinking now its my riding boots and my unfamiliarity with wearing them. But Ive had very little problems since.

I would think tho after you ruled out the possibilities and your still having no luck with it I would gather to say perhaps theres some tranny problems. I am not sure.

As for chain couldn't help ya there. I still have stock gearing and regular chain.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.