Sedona hardpack tires- opinions?

Got questions? We got answers....
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Not a kdx question, but still relevant; I ordered sedona 907hp series hard terrain tires front and rear for my 97 rm250 and was wondering what opinions were. I know that the rear tire is heavy(12 pounds) but how is wear? The tread looks awesome, but I almost wish I'd bought some kenda trakmaster2 tires like I did for my kdx. Those tire had decent traction, giant knobs, and I rode 3 times on flats and no knob chunking. Any opinions on Sedona tire would be appreciated! I'm mounting them regardless, but I'm curious as to you guys results if any.
2002 KDX 200
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

Tried a rear on my old Husaberg 650 and was really impressed. That 650 would eat Dunlop 606's in a few rides out here in the jagged shale trails we ride and the Sedona lasted at least 10x as long and got great traction. They are heavy though, and unbalanced if you ride on the street, not noticeable in the dirt. I never tried a front, but am sold on the rear for high HP bikes. I tried the medium Sedona on my KDX and liked it except the weight, I prefer the MT43 for lower power bikes.
KDXrider1989

Re: Sedona hardpack tires- opinions?

Post by KDXrider1989 »

tried a set of the 887IT's, for the price they were OK. The rear tracked pretty nicely and hooked up well in a straight line, gave in a little in corners but its acceptable. the sidewalls on these tires are so friggin stiff you can run no pressure in ur tubes and be okay, which also makes mounting these a B**CH! the knobs themselves are pretty soft and squishy, so you can imagine that riding on anything really hard-pack gives the bike a squirmish and unstable feel, the front was really bad. the rear wore pretty well, the front not so much. I will only mount these tires again if I'm selling a bike and it needs new rubber to look good, otherwise save your pennies
AtomicKDX

Post by AtomicKDX »

I use the 907HP "snake treads" on my torque monster (XR650R). I really like them for my terrain: hard rocky high desert terrain. IMO, the hold up alot better than the D606s and the Kenda Trackmasters II. For my KDX, I may try them; I can't say if the pain of putting a stiff carcass HP tire on a lower powered bike is worth it.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I hate changing tires with the fire of a million suns. It sucks to hear how stiff the sidewalls are. What do u guys use for lubricating the sidewalls while installing the tires? I've actually ruined 3 rear tires before by ripping the bead wire through the sidewall due to lack if sidewall lube, so I'm always looking for Better way to make sure it doesn't happen again. I actually found the kenda trakmaster 2 tires to be very, very robust in terms of taking abuse. The only problem I had was when I got a little mud on the trail it was squirmy, but it wore great and worked awesome on highway and hardpack.
2002 KDX 200
vlxk98

Post by vlxk98 »

I too hate changing tires with a blue passion. The last flat I got was about 45 minutes into a ride and I was ready to call it a day rather than wrestle that carcass off the rim. Thankfully I ride with guys that will jump in and help on any kind of problem so with three of us working on it we changed a tube in about 15 minutes, not without much weeping, wailing, and knashing of teeth though! And then to double the pissoff, it was the valve core that caused the flat!!! :oops:

To answer the question, talc powder inside the tire to help the tube move, and either dish soap diluted to a slimey mess, or WD-40 to lube the beads. I go very slow and take small bites when going back on with the tire to reduce the bead tear problem with this stiff tire. And I still cringe at the thought of messing with it. In fact, the last flat was on a HD tube, we replaced it with an OE tube and I have not gone back to my HD because I don't want to fight it. I don't think I can take it in a fair fight :grin:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Actionman wrote:I hate changing tires with the fire of a million suns. It sucks to hear how stiff the sidewalls are. What do u guys use for lubricating the sidewalls while installing the tires? I've actually ruined 3 rear tires before by ripping the bead wire through the sidewall due to lack if sidewall lube, so I'm always looking for Better way to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Old motor oil seems to work pretty good for me....doesn't take a lot and lubes the bead up well. Also have used dish soap, old tranny fluid and spray lube (NOT WD-40). They all seem to work well but I think the dish soap is the hardest to deal with. I think, when I do my next change, I'm going to soak a bar of Ivory soap until it swells and rub that on.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I've had, counting the one on the rm now, five flats in the past year. I rode for almost 8 years in my youth and never had a single flat back then I ran 25lbs of sir in my tires cause I thought they were like car tires. I feel that my pressure is just too low. I've been using 11lbs, so what do I need to run?
2002 KDX 200
vlxk98

Post by vlxk98 »

For the rocky area I ride the general rule is about 12-13 out back and maybe 13-15 front dependig on how wet the rocks are!
11 might be Ok for your terrain. Are you running HD tubes?
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

i use baby powder on the tube, and as for lube windex works well, tends to dry a lil quick