Turn Signal Questions

Got questions? We got answers....
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Turn Signal Questions

Post by Mayor Brap Brap »

I am in the process of street legalizing my 02 200. I just ordered two sets of these off eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Motorcycle-L ... 6a&vxp=mtr

I just rewound my stator, and think I'm going with a capacitor instead of a battery, but that's later. What do I need to make the LED turn signals function properly, and how should they be wired? Thanks!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Turn Signal Questions

Post by 6 Riders »

You know that those are green right?
Anyways...If I recall correctly, Power to the flasher, power from flasher to switch, switch to turn signals. Try to get them to work w/o anything but wiring them up. If they don't flash at first, rev the bike up and see if it makes them flash. If they flash REAL fast, then you'll need to add a resistor. I didn't do a resistor because I am using incandescent bulbs on the rear of the bike. If you need me to, I can pop the seat off the bike and try to chase everything down....I shrink wrapped all my wiring, so it might not be possible, but I think that i can figure it out again.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

6 Riders wrote:You know that those are green right?
That's really the only thing I DO know about them. :lol:

I would appreciate any/all help you could provide! I'm just trying to figure out how to deal with all 8 wires and where they need to go. Do I need an LED flasher? Thanks!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I used a $2.00 flasher. Think of the 8 wires as 4, since you really are only wiring left and right. If you want you can simple wire the front/rear wire sets together and then you have L+/L-, R+/R-. I grounded the rears at the same point and the fronts at the same point, then wire the R+ to the switch, then L+ to the switch (R & L of course). Then ran the switch down to the flasher (I put mine in front of the air box), then power to the flasher. It worked...but when I tried it with some SUPER CHEAP LEDs they didn't work, but the LEDs never did work for anything, so I think it was the lights themselves. Now I use stem type LEDs that I found on clearance at Cycle Gear for the front flashers...mounted them in the lower headlight mounting holes. For the rear I used what came with the bike, they look like "low profile" turn signals from a really old Baja Kit. All the flasher does is cut power every 1/2 second or so I didn't worry about quality. I never converted the power from AC either, but that is in the works.....but only for the turn signals and charging a small RC car battery.
I guess if I get bored, I can hook both LED lights to the same side and see if they still work.
>>>I did make my wiring pretty modular, this way I can take the street stuff off the bike for really gnarly rides, like the 100 mile dessert race this spring.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Will this work? http://bit.ly/1doETL1

Also, how do I connect all the turn signals together? Cutting and splicing? Should I get more 18GA wire?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I think that should work, but the LED flashers don't alway fix the problems with turn signals. It sure is worth a try.
The positive wires (+) from both turn signals (front and rear, same side) will need to connect to the same single wire that comes from the handle bar control (switch). To to be clear, I used a LOT of water proof bullet plug to make me wiring modular. I made a "pig tail" by soldering the ends of two wires together and then attaching a bullet plug to each of the three ends. The Soldered end plugs into the wire coming from the switch, the other two plug into each of the two turn signals (lights). Do this twice, once for left and once for right. The switch will have a "turn signal power lead" and then two leads that go to the signals them selves. The power lead is what the Green wire on the flasher connects to, this is what causes the turn signals to light up and flash, both side get power from the same wire as only one side will flash at a time. The red will come from your main harness and of course the black is grounded. You will need about 50' of wire for the whole conversion, I used different colors, bought a total of 150' and have plenty left over if I want to change something around.

This making sense? Sometimes my mind works to fast and I break thing up the wrong way.