Stator Help

Got questions? We got answers....
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Stator Help

Post by Mayor Brap Brap »

I just did the rewind, and I want to make sure the thing works before I pop it back on the bike. How do I know I didn't mess it up? Also, what is the best way to connect the yellow wire back? I can solder, but should I add a little extra wire to be safe? If so, what kind and gauge? Thank you!

My head is spinning.
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Re: Stator Help

Okay, tell me if this is right. I took a multimeter to the stator off the plate, just sitting on the counter. I put the black to the ground terminal and the red to the yellow terminal. I got an average reading of 2.1 ohms. The manual says 1.6-2.4 ohms is the accepted range, but I still don't know what any if this means, or that it will work once it's back on the bike.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

2 ohms is good, the stator should work fine. You are just checking the resistance through the length of wire you added. If you had any internal shorts during the winding you'd get a lower reading. Bolt it back up and it should be fine. If you didn't cut any wire when removing it (just desoldered) you don't need to add any putting it back together
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Thank you. I just pulled the yellow wire out of its soldering around the terminal, so I will just solder it back on. I want to seal the coil first though. Can I use something like Minwax, or should I get an electric specific varnish?

Also, for future reference, what type of wiring would I need to buy for repairs or additions to the wiring harness? Gauge/type?

Thank you!
urgreathero

Post by urgreathero »

di electric grease would be your best bet, keeps wires moisture free and protects them. most motorcycle wiring harness's are between 20awg and 18 awg, your gunna wanna keep it pretty close to what you have because it will effect the amount of electrical current in that circut. also when you re solder that wire back on make sure you use a heavy duty shrink tube around it with a nice chrome looken solder joint. This will save you from alot of future head aches down the road :]
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You're not going to get a heat shrink tube on there so don't even try. If you used coated magnet wire there really is no need to seal it. Make sure your stator cover gasket is good and the rubber boot around the wires isn't torn. If you do want to seal it you can use spray urethane (just not on the solder contact until its reconnected). I haven't sealed mine and ride regularly in the rain here in WA, been through and in more streams and mud holes than I can remember, and haven't ever had an issue with the stator.
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

The reason I ask about the urethane was because I nicked some of the magnet wire during the process. Maybe I can just cover the spots I nicked?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Clear nail polish...dries quick, builds a nice layer, and you can put it where you want it. Ask your wife/sister/mother for recommendations on the toughest brand acrylic. For bonus points you could look for it in Kawi green :grin:
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

bufftester wrote:Clear nail polish...dries quick, builds a nice layer, and you can put it where you want it. Ask your wife/sister/mother for recommendations on the toughest brand acrylic. For bonus points you could look for it in Kawi green :grin:
Just what I wanted to hear! I might have some leftover from Drag Night Tuesdays. :boogie: