I was thinking of doing the Skipro KX250 thing, but....

Got questions? We got answers....
NM_KDX200

I was thinking of doing the Skipro KX250 thing, but....

Post by NM_KDX200 »

I ride about 50% track/50% trail and have been thinking of selling my '01 KX125 and '97 KDX200 and getting an '02 or better KX250 and woodsifying it, but the prices on used 125's and KDX's are dismal. A 2001 KDX200 just went on ebay for $1400! What do you think my '97 with FMF Desert and Woods, ISDE silencer, Utah skid plate, Devol rad guards, good tires and good chain/sprocket might bring? $1000? I suppose if I got $1000 for the KDX and $1800 for the KX (*), that would give me $2800, which should put me into decent used KX250 territory....

(*) 2001 purchased new in '03, PR2 suspension, V-force II, Pro Circuit pipe/silencer, Pro Taper bars, Chevy trucks graphics, N-style seat cover.
Last edited by NM_KDX200 on 10:43 pm Oct 19 2005, edited 1 time in total.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I just bought a 97 KDX200 for $500! :wink:

It has a FMF woods pipe, FMF silencer, MSR barkbusters but need work I'm sure of.... Your best bet is to list it locally, I woulda paid a few hundred more for my 95 if I didn't have to drive to BFE to pick it up... Especially now!

I think if you made sure it was clean and runs well, you should get $1,400 to $1,600 locally.
Last edited by Indawoods on 10:43 pm Oct 19 2005, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

You'll take it in the shorts on selling the KDX, thats kinda a given. Depending on the local market you might get anywhere between $1500-$2000 depending on how clean the bike is and how motivated the buyer is. You'll most likely do abou the same with the KX125.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:I just bought a 97 KDX200 for $500! :wink:
Damn, I still can't get over what a good deal that was...
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You gotta keep in mind that the KDX is a Cadillac in the woods. That's one thing I love about them. A KX will wear your ass out! Of course I'm old and like to sit alot too... I can still give the youngin' a run though! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote:>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:I just bought a 97 KDX200 for $500! :wink:
Damn, I still can't get over what a good deal that was...
Worth it in parts alone! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

$1500 for the KDX and $1800 for the KX125 would not be too bad. In fact, as long as I came up with $3000 for the two, I think it might be feasible.

The trouble with my "local" market is the size of it- I'm on a ranch 30 miles from town. Town is 2500 people. The next town is 65 miles with 8500 people. I have bought all my bikes by watching ebay and the various papers and being willing to drive 200-300 miles to pick them up. Still...I sold my '92 YZ250WR locally for $1500 in '00 and my '96 XR250 for $2700 in '99. Maybe the thing to do is list the KDX/KX and just be patient.

I really like both the KDX and KX, but I think I'd rather work and maintain a single bike than two of them, plus it just seems better to ride 1 bike and get to really know it. After riding the KX, the KDX seems huge. A KX250 with a larger tank would work just fine on the tracks I ride and would still work just fine in the woods. The Kawi's seem to fit me well, too. Yamaha's feel too big (I'm 5' 5") and I like Hondas but from what I've read, the CR250 seems to require 92+ octane gas and I just can't do that.

I'm definitely going to miss the KDX if I do this, though....
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote: A KX will wear your ass out!
Don't you believe it!

My son, 26 years old, just came up this past weekend to visit. Day one, Saturday, he rode the KDX, led by Doug on his KX500 and followed by me on my KX250. He couldn't keep Doug in site, and I rode his a$$ for 50 miles that day.
Day two, Monday, he rode the KX250 and dogged Doug so much that he finally let him pass. I couldn't keep up with either of them on the KDX and that was another 50 mile day. I was much more tired riding the KDX than the KX and when I asked my son how he liked the KX during a break in riding on day 2, he grinned and said it was like riding a cloud compared to the KDX. I asked him to elaborate and he said it was just soooo much easier to ride. He said neither he nor the bike had to to work as hard and that he felt much more control with the KX. It was just plain easier to ride and more fun. His words. He was certainly faster on the KX that day and I was on the first day as well. I have both bikes set up exactly the same with pipe, reeds, auto-clutch, etc. He loved to ride the KDX because it was a bike to ride, but he preferred the KX250.
In regards to getting a KX250: There are huge differences in the L series; 1999 through 2002. The 2002 is by far the more woods friendly motor. I've read it in many places and can attest that the 2002 is very linear in power delivery. The barrels are the main difference from year to year in the L series. I hear the later models are also very woods friendly.
Do your homework and discover yourself what other riders think of the 2002 KX250 in the woods.
BTW, the KX250 turn sharper than the KDX. I've done measurements in a parking lot and from lock to lock, the KX turns sharper by more than 2 feet in a 360 degree circle. With the bikes sitting side by side on their kick stands, it is obvious from looking at the front of the bikes that the KX steering turns sharper when against the triple clamp stop on the frame. The KDX comes right up to touching the tank, but the KX could have it's stops shaved to allow even tighter lock on the steering before something else hit.
My advice is: If you are going to get a KX250; be sure you try that particular year out first and be sure you like it's charactoristics before spending your money. The KX first gear is tall. You can change final drive ratios with sprockets, but at a cost of top speed. The aut0-clutch I have takes care of that. With it, I never use first gear on the KDX anyway. On the KX, that motor is so much more powerful at low rpm's than the KDX, it doesn't need a lower first gear when mated with the auto-clutch.
The KX stalls easily at low speeds before I put an auto clutch on it. A FWW might make up the difference, but I don't know that for sure. The KX is louder. Both bikes have FMF TurbineCoreII's on them; the KX with a PC pipe and the KDX with a FMF woods pipe. The note on the KDX is much deeper and bass like compared to the KX which is sharp and seems to cut right through my helmet. The tranny on the KX is noisier too. Think a KDX tranny makes lots of racket? I swear my gear box is louder than the top end at times. I'm wearing ear plugs when riding the KX so as to reduce noise fatigue on long (3+ hours) rides. The KX is a bit harder to grab on with your knees and I do like to steer with my knees. The KDX is easy to grab with my knees and flick back and forth down a twisty tight trail. The KX causes my pants to snag once in a while. It doesn't slow me down, but I do notice the shrouds aren't as comfy for this style of riding. The KX wheelies much easier but is very controlable due to the longer wheelbase over the KDX.
Good luck with your search.

P.S. I hope I'm not banished for the heritic talk. I've said it before and will repeat, the KDX is staying in my garage. It's great as my recreation ride and to loan out to friends and family. The occasional rider should not get into as much trouble riding a KDX as they might on other bikes. It is very reliable and predicable. It won't spank you if you make an error in riding it. So far, my son and 2 co-workers have ridden it. I didn't let the co-workers ride my KX and they both want to buy the KDX. Not for sale, I tell them, so they buy me lunch and a beer for letting them ride it. It's much more valuable than I thought!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I've heard many people tell me that, I don't know it first hand but judging by the KTM 250 EXC I used to own... I believe them.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Oh Vince! You just know how to push my buttons! I know, but I can't help taking the bait.
See for your self when you come out for a visit. I'll make a wager on wether you will be searching for a KX of your own after the ride. It is a Kawasaki after all. The nut doesn't fall too far from the tree.

P.S. Let me know if you get one of them DVR thingys. I'd like to do that, but know less than squat about what to look for.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Here's my setup, any questions fire away. I'm trying to edit (read: make smaller) some of my clips so I can upload them for you guys to d/l.

Cam Link
MP4 Recorder Link
SD Card Link

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Don't fret Jerry, they are dead simple. You have a camera, a microphone, a battery pack for those 2, and the MP4 recorder. The MP4 recorders must have line in (not just voice recorder). You then plug the rca leads from the camera and mic into line in on the MP4 unit and press record on the recorder. Too easy... I would def recommend getting one with an SD card.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:Oh Vince! You just know how to push my buttons! I know, but I can't help taking the bait.
See for your self when you come out for a visit. I'll make a wager on wether you will be searching for a KX of your own after the ride. It is a Kawasaki after all. The nut doesn't fall too far from the tree.
I knew it would! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote: I didn't let the co-workers ride my KX and they both want to buy the KDX. Not for sale, I tell them, so they buy me lunch and a beer for letting them ride it. It's much more valuable than I thought!!!
Okay...here's what we'll do.... when I get my enclosed trailer, I'll drive out to see you and bring my KDX. We'll sell MY KDX to your co-workers and I'll test ride your KX.

One problem. According to MS Maps, Lake Tahoe is 1200 miles from me. At 15 mpg in the 'burban towing the trailer, round trip is gonna cost me $500 in gas. That means I could just go ahead and sell the KDX here for $1000. Bummer. Hey, it was a good idea for a minute, there.... :grin:
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

1200 miles? send me your addy and I'll see if I can find a shorter route. I drove from El Paso to my place in 1.5 days using a u-haul truck when I bought a boat off ebay a couple years ago. I thought that was only 900 miles or so. Las Vegas is about 500 miles; how far are you from there?
I told my co-workers. They are excited to hear you might come up! Engineers with too much money, I bet I could get them to pay at least 1700 for it and maybe 2K. Depends on how clean and what options I guess. A green stickerable bike in excellent shape is worth something in California.

Trev,
Let me know if you get into the business on eBay. I'm a customer for sure!!
Jerry

NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

Try "Springer, NM". Don't take me thru the Colorado or NM mountains!! 765 miles to Vegas via I-40.

It's a good bike. I take very good care of the engine. Scratches on the plastic, but nothing really deep or nasty. I've never crashed the bike- dropped it, yes, but never flipped it head over heels or anything.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125