new Cyclops LED Replacement bulb (Testing phase)

Got questions? We got answers....
francis

Post by francis »

New LED bulb at KTM talk.com (Electrical section) from Cyclops adventure sports in the testing phase. Seems like it would be a great replacement headlight bulb for KDX's (and GAS GAS) low-powered stator. If I had any computer savvy I'd post the link. I don't know how you would get it to fit the KDX's headlight mask but when I did my RM 125 headlight installation I used a stock KTM headlight mask and KTM front fender, which I had to oblong the mounting holes with a dremel tool to fit. The only reason I went through this expense was for the factory dualsport look and Ease of headlight installation. Anyways. The RM's aftermarket stator is 55 watts so I used a osram halogen HS1 35/35 Watt bulb and wired the high beam and low beam separately so only one filament would be lit on high or low. I also rewired the stator to DC and installed a trail Tech regulator rectifier to charge a small battery to guarantee full brightness at idle. After a few test ride it seems the headlight is not quite functional for night time trail riding similar to the KDX. So far what works the best is my battery pack powered 35 Watt HID Cyclops helmet light.
Until this bulb the only way to improve my RMs Lighting Is with some type of handlebar mounted LED's.
So basically I can't wait to learn more and I'm wondering if someone's going to try one in there KDX. Hope this will help someone have a better headlight for night riding.

Francis
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

Has anyone tried one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-LED-SMD-Bulb ... 8f&vxp=mtr

I wonder how they do. I am running the Acerbis dhh with led bulbs and they are amazing
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
imfoolishyet

Post by imfoolishyet »

I tried an LED bulb in the stock housing. The results were worse than the stock lighting.
I then removed the stock headlight housing from the plastic and installed an 18W LED spot light in it's place. It works great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-5-18W-Led-Wor ... 20&vxp=mtr
Last edited by imfoolishyet on 08:45 am Mar 17 2014, edited 2 times in total.
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: new Cyclops LED Replacement bulb (Testing phase)

Post by ecojbr »

I am waiting on the mailman to bring me my leds for the Acerbiss DHH headlight. Hoping for a nice light at 6 watts. We will see next week
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

ecojbr wrote:I am waiting on the mailman to bring me my leds for the Acerbiss DHH headlight. Hoping for a nice light at 6 watts. We will see next week
Update?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

They appear to be amazingly bright. With the weather I haven't got to do much riding yet. If I could run the 9-12 watt pair they would have to be great. the thing to look at when you buy them is beam width. Some are spot and some are flood. Being as I only have a 14 watt stator on the KX I can't run that much. I use a helmet light most of the time so they will work for me. Two 3 watt in the DHH and a led tail light are full brightness at idle!!!!
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
koshari

Post by koshari »

imfoolishyet wrote:I tried an LED bulb in the stock housing. The results were worse than the stock lighting.
I then removed the stock headlight housing from the plastic and installed an 18W LED spot light in it's place. It works great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6000K-18W-Led-W ... 09&vxp=mtr
Any chance of a pic of your setup?
I take it the 6 led assemly fits somehow where the old reflector was?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2
imfoolishyet

Post by imfoolishyet »

koshari

Post by koshari »

Cheers.

Ordered one.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2