Flywheel weighting...

Got questions? We got answers....
Hookemhornz

Flywheel weighting...

Post by Hookemhornz »

Hey guys. I recently bought an 02 kx 250 that I'm tweaking for trail riding. I'm looking at making my own flywheel weight (13oz.). I'm a machinist with access to the equipment needed to make it. I don’t doubt that I can make it. My problem is that I can't seem to find the specs anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get some?
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Flywheel weighting...

Post by ecojbr »

pretty simple. It needs to be threaded like the flywheel nut as it will take it's place. Measure the maximum diameter and thickness that can be fit under your cover. Start big and machine it down to get desired weight. I would suggest making two. One to start turning down till you get to the weight you want, which you will actually go farther in discovering this. The second to make the final product
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Flywheel weighting...

Post by 6 Riders »

ecojbr wrote:pretty simple. It needs to be threaded like the flywheel nut as it will take it's place. Measure the maximum diameter and thickness that can be fit under your cover. Start big and machine it down to get desired weight. I would suggest making two. One to start turning down till you get to the weight you want, which you will actually go farther in discovering this. The second to make the final product
↑↑Agree↑↑ I know it's not a KX, but on my KDX the FWW caused the need for a "spacer" between the side case and the cover.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Flywheel weighting...

Post by ecojbr »

Building one now for a 97 and with standard hot rolled material I will indeed need a spacer to get 13oz. I have no idea what Steahly is using for material or if the 97 and 02 would need one also. On my 03 the Steahly 13 did not require a spacer, but the flywheel is lots different. I ended up turning mine down to 9.6oz and like it. I am going to try and build a 13-15oz for the horrible muddy races such as last years Off Road Cup in which I hope I will never need!!!!!
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
Hookemhornz

Re: Flywheel weighting...

Post by Hookemhornz »

Thx guys