KDX Aftermarket Headlight

Got questions? We got answers....
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: KDX Aftermarket Headlight

Post by B737driver »

Thanks. I know some don't like the look, but I think it updates it a bit. As far as functionality, it seems to be about like the OEM headlight. I also have an LED taillight that after installing seemed to make the headlight even brighter. I'm no electrician, but if the LED uses less wattage then the rest is sent to the headlight possibly?? Here is the one I bought.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Headlight ... 52&vxp=mtr
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

BTW….You do have to cut the wires in order to install, but it's very simple. Straps hold it onto the forks, and they work great. No issues whatsoever.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

I really like the look of that headlight on that bike. In fact I think that's what I'm going to do. Last night I found an AWESOME thread of a guy installing an HID kit into the generic KLX light. He had a KLX and was taking the lenses out of the generic and putting it into the OEM KLX because it mounted the bulb in a way what was better for the HID set up. I thought I book marked it, but no dice. :sad: I can't remember if it was this form, Thumpertalk, or Supermotojunkie. I'll have to keep looking for it.

I'm not an electrician either, but I can figure out cutting a few wires. I want to set it up in a Hi/Low configuration anyway.

Did yours have a small 12v running light in the headlight? Did you hook it up?
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

morganid wrote:I really like the look of that headlight on that bike. In fact I think that's what I'm going to do. Last night I found an AWESOME thread of a guy installing an HID kit into the generic KLX light. He had a KLX and was taking the lenses out of the generic and putting it into the OEM KLX because it mounted the bulb in a way what was better for the HID set up. I thought I book marked it, but no dice. :sad: I can't remember if it was this form, Thumpertalk, or Supermotojunkie. I'll have to keep looking for it.

I'm not an electrician either, but I can figure out cutting a few wires. I want to set it up in a Hi/Low configuration anyway.

the klx will already have a dc electrical system, and a high output lighting stator, fitting a hid kit to the kdx's ac system will be a fair bit of work!
have a read here.............

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 77&t=15216

best regards
john
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

I hooked up the little light as well. Some just cut the wires and do not use it at all. It's like a running light on a car. Doesn't put out much. Here is a good read. Slick_Nick did an awesome job with this headlight assembly.

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... +headlight
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

dude541 wrote:
morganid wrote:I really like the look of that headlight on that bike. In fact I think that's what I'm going to do. Last night I found an AWESOME thread of a guy installing an HID kit into the generic KLX light. He had a KLX and was taking the lenses out of the generic and putting it into the OEM KLX because it mounted the bulb in a way what was better for the HID set up. I thought I book marked it, but no dice. :sad: I can't remember if it was this form, Thumpertalk, or Supermotojunkie. I'll have to keep looking for it.

the klx will already have a dc electrical system, and a high output lighting stator, fitting a hid kit to the kdx's ac system will be a fair bit of work!
have a read here.............

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 77&t=15216

best regards
john
Yeah. I was thinking about this last night after I posted it. I really would like to put the work into doing it, but I'm a college student right now. I think projects of this magnitude will have to wait until I have a wee bit more free time.
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

B737driver wrote:I hooked up the little light as well. Some just cut the wires and do not use it at all. It's like a running light on a car. Doesn't put out much. Here is a good read. Slick_Nick did an awesome job with this headlight assembly.

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... +headlight

Awesome! Thanks. I've seen his overhaul on his bike, but I didn't realize he did the headlight too. Are you running the light bulb it came with or have your upgraded it?
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

I'm running the bulb that came with it. I rarely ride at night and it does the job just fine.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live