worried

Got questions? We got answers....
the trail rider

worried

Post by the trail rider »

how worried should i be if i get a desert pipe dent wise. i ride in the rocks all the time. I have ridden 350 miles on the stock pipe in nothing but rocks and still havent gotten a dent. how worried should I be.
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Well the simple and probably most logical solution would be to get a pipe guard, but do I have one, no. I've been running the k-35 with no pipe guard for a couple years and have only gotten two small dents. I don't ride in too many rocks though.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
JD

Post by JD »

I rode about 800 miles or so in a lot of rocks (with the stock pipe) and never dented it... until my speed increased and then I beat the snot out of it. Rocks coming up from the front tire put a bunch of dents in the header section. Dents upon dents upon dents. Didn't notice a significant power loss until I threw the bike away on a narrow trail. That was the kiss of death for that pipe. BIG dent. Total loss of all top end.

I replaced it with an FMF Woods pipe which got a Moose pipe guard. Very thick aluminum. I formed it to shape around the trashed stocker with a rubber mallet. It has taken a bunch of abuse and has kept the pipe dent-free (knock on wood). Highly recommended.
'04 200
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Doesn't matter what I do, I've dented every pipe I've had on my bike. :cry: 2 stockers and 2 Aftermarkets. :rolleyes: My PC pipe has a nice gouge/dent about 1 inch above the "Moose" pipe guard. :blink: If you ride in rocks, chances are your going to dent your pipe sooner or later. It's part of riding...You can spend your time worring about it, or you can just ride and enjoy the power that your pipe helps create. :wink:

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
hoodoo

Post by hoodoo »

I ride rocks all the time and what got me was a stump hidden in some tall grass at the edge of the trail. Just a glancing blow, didnt even know I had damaged anything for a few minutes. But then I saw the nice fist sized dent in my FMF woods pipe.
I had it fixed at Pacific Crest Pipe, $50 and 1 day turn around. I am sure it was easy money for them but for me it was worth it cause a new pipe costs 200+.
They can do amazing things with a pipe that looks like a truck ran over it.
piperepair.com
00 kdx 200, the usual mods
99 CR 80 -sons
04 TTR 125- wifes
ZZR 600- wifes
ZZR 1200- mine (crashed and gone)