i got 2 ?s first lighting and second sprockets

Got questions? We got answers....
makesuwanna!

Post by makesuwanna! »

hi my names tanner i am new to this forumr and i am the proud owner of my first kdx its a 92 200 i dont know too much about them and my question on the lighting is what would make your lights just stop i was just riding today they were working and hit a couple jumps and just trail riding and i noticed when i started it back up they were out is it something with the stator or... and now sprockets is there any other make or model bike that the sprockets interchange with mainly the front one i stripped it today
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: i got 2 ?s first lighting and second sprockets

Post by 6 Riders »

1st; There is an on/off switch on the left bar, you probably hit that.
2nd; Front sprockets are $9-20, vary available for a KDX, go buy one. You really should be doing both sprockets and a chain at this point though
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
makesuwanna!

Post by makesuwanna! »

are you talkin about another switch other then the switch that clicks on the right hand side of the bars
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Nope, just the switch on the RH side of the bars. You could have blown the bulb also. Take it out and have a look at it. The KDX bulbs are dual element, so you should see two of them there. My 94 recently burnt through the wire connections under the tank. So much to look at w/electrical....
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
makesuwanna!

Post by makesuwanna! »

my tail light is out as well are there fuses or anything like that i havent really had time tonight to tear into it and trace the wiring down
makesuwanna!

Post by makesuwanna! »

like where should i start on the trouble shooting forr this
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The tail light and head light are on the same circuit, no fuses. Check the switch, then take the tank off and follow the wires.....Red and Yellow are the wired that you are following. There are plenty (to many really) bullet plugs in these two wires. You will see them, just follow them back.
makesuwanna!

Post by makesuwanna! »

thanks man im gonna check it all that out tomorrow if all the plugs good im gonna put the dmm on it
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The lights are likely the bulb if it was working and they quit after jumping. Of more concern is your statement that you stripped the front sprocket? Do you mean that it spins freely on the output shaft? Or is it that the teeth have worn where they engage the chain? Pics help.
makesuwanna!

Post by makesuwanna! »

just stripped the teeth out, i know it would be a bit of a deal if the sprocket wasnt spinnin
david

Post by david »

If it was so worn down that the teeth broke off, you need to replace the chain and rear sprocket too (like 6 riders said). I have never seen one get that bad.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
makesuwanna!

Post by makesuwanna! »

they didnt break just worn down to when you apply mare than half throttle it slips and i just got the bike the night before last so im tryin to clean up and fix some one elses neglegence but on the lights the bulbs are good i took it to my buddys house today and on the way back he said when in high r's the tail light was working so im thinkin maybe rewind the stator coil?
david

Post by david »

Probably needs the proper bulbs installed. Previous owner may have tried to put a brighter bulb in the headlight and all that does is draw more wattage, which in turn makes them dimmer because the stator can only put out so many watts.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Batteries Plus sells a 2 pack of bulbs for the KDX for $3!
makesuwanna!

Post by makesuwanna! »

i dont really think its the bulbs because they were workin fine the night i got it then the next day i went and rode hit a jumips and blasted the trails then later that night i noticed that they werent comin on then my buddy said in high r's its barley on thats y im thinkin the stator maybe need to rewind it? if im wrong let me know bc im new with the kdx world
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

For $3.00 isn't it worth trying a new bulb? It's much cheaper and easier than rewinding a stator. Just a thought.
It is very possible that you knocked the filament loose while jumping and it "looks OK" like I said, there are 2 filaments in the stock bulb, if you don't see 2, then it's bad, if you shake the bulb and a wire is bouncing around in it, it is bad. Since the tail light works when at higher RPMs, I would check for a bad wire/wire connection, replace the bulb and see what you get...Only after doing those things would I look at the stator or the regulator. Don't be lazy, take the bike apart and get a good look "under the hood" and while you have the body work off, give it a good cleaning...lots of dirt hides under those parts.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

For $3.00 isn't it worth trying a new bulb? It's much cheaper and easier than rewinding a stator. Just a thought.
It is very possible that you knocked the filament loose while jumping and it "looks OK" like I said, there are 2 filaments in the stock bulb, if you don't see 2, then it's bad, if you shake the bulb and a wire is bouncing around in it, it is bad. Since the tail light works when at higher RPMs, I would check for a bad wire/wire connection, replace the bulb and see what you get...Only after doing those things would I look at the stator or the regulator. Don't be lazy, take the bike apart and get a good look "under the hood" and while you have the body work off, give it a good cleaning...lots of dirt hides under those parts.
Yep. You need to take a close look at the wiring and the bulb before you start rewinding your stator. Have you pulled the cover off the flywheel to see how it looks in there? It might be wet, corroded, and rusty. Considering that the countershaft sprocket was worn to the point that the teeth are gone I think we can conclude that this bike hasn't exactly been given the royal treatment. It probably needs a thorough disassembly, cleaning, and repairs as needed. Do you have any pics?