Anyone ever do anything to their rear shock??

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Anyone ever do anything to their rear shock??

Post by Ryan »

hi, i was wondering if anyone has ever had the $80 job plus oil done to their suspension. This is what my local shop said it would cost to have the oil changed out. Does this make sence and what exactly does this do? ALso when can you tell it is time to do this job?? thanks
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Fresh oil helps keep the damping action of the shock consistant and helps the seals last longer. Your shock will work better with fresh oil in it.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

What mOries said is correct. The damping action of the fork gradually gets worse and you really don't notice much change, until you change the oil and recharge with nitrogen! Then its a big difference.

The H model service manual recommends servicing the shock once a year.
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

If you are handy, its not a very tough job to do yourself but you still need to take it in to a shop get recharged which should only cost about $15
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: '..has anyone...'

All the time. It's required scheduled maintenance. Annually at least.

Yep! You can feel the difference. Bigtime! It's like new tires..or new shoes (for your feet I mean). They just feel, 'Ahhhh........'

Might as well get it revalved while you're in there................

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

kdx220freak,
You could ask if anyone on this sight would be interested in servicing it for you if you ship it to them. There are some pretty expereinced guys who might do it for $50,and you would have a better than average job. KDX riders would tell you if some part needed replacing.
I did my own and it is well explained in the service manual. If you hit a problem, you will get a quick answer here.
I did pay too much for a re-charge on the nitrogen. Automotive shops use nitrogen when they service AC and if you can get a proper fitting it would be almost no nitrogen to get 150 lbs. I am going to see how I can do that since my buudy has a shop and will do it if I find a proper fitting. This can't be rocket science. Does anyone know how I can find a way to get the proper fitting to fit a nitrogen bottle? This must be what bike shops have.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

ok so how much is a good price to have new nitrogen put in??
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Just a guess...but that guess is an AC guy isn't going to use a regulator/bleeder because he isn't concerned about pressure particularly..but evacuating the AC system before recharging it.

A nitrogen bottle with a regulator is a pretty good penny.

Jason does suspension service. Ask him for an address to send your shock to...but not a brazillian questions about how to do it yourself. I mean...he gets paid to work on that kind'a stuff.

Proper fitting? It's a Schrader valve. Pretty basic.

Well...I think you call it a Schrader valve.....maybe it's a Presta valve??? :rolleyes:

Something like this:

..for $220.

Or like this:

..for $145.

..and all you need is a bottle!

A dual guage is preferable so you can set the pressure you want using a regulator. The single guage thing merely allows you to bleed off excess you already put in from someplace.

You don't want some screw-on chuck kind'a thing that will allow leakage when you take the fitting off...after you have set the pressure. The volume of the bladder is so small a teeny 'pffft' when you take it apart will result in a considerably pressure change.

Cool! I want one!!! :wink:

**edit** Nope. It's not a Presta valve. ...just in case you're taking notes!

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Or, you could just go to a bicycle shop and get a shock pump, fill it with good ol' air and let us know how it works :wink:

Some say its bad but I have heard otherwise :?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I was gonna say that...but didn't want to get flamed about it............

Wibby talks to hisself from time to time....I've heard him!!! Maybe that's where he heard such a thing......... :razz:

Consider the source

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Or, you could just go to a bicycle shop and get a shock pump, fill it with good ol' air and let us know how it works :wink:

Some say its bad but I have heard otherwise :?
My brothers RM has plain ole air in the rear shock. Aside from being the most uncomfortable, unusable bike ever i'm sure its great... :roll: :? The damping action seems a wee bit unpredicatable to me after it gets warmed up. Take it for what its worth though, the entire bike is a POS that was rode hard and put away wet.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
farmerj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by farmerj »

Might as well get it revalved while you're in there................
OK, I know I should do "the search", but here's an opportunity for me to say "Hi" since I haven't posted for a while.

So...what/whose "re-valve" or valve stack are we recommending? Is the re-valve something I can do myself??:rolleyes:

Thanks!

Jeff
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Just performing an oil change on a KDX shock is pretty straight forward. I just did my boy's shock this afternoon took me longer to take off and reinstall the shock then it took for the oil change if you don't count my 45 minutes (round trip) to get the Nitrogen charge. Should be done once a year according to the service manual.

For the DIYs- Beware that mistakes made during oil changes can be very costly((i.e. $$$$ or result in injury) when your talking about shocks. A little air in the oil which was not bleed out; a slip with the screwdriver while removing a spring clip in the shock body or bladder reserve. Using a different oil will give the shock a different feel.

It appears to me that Jason offers a good service and documentation of your valving with pictures at a very reasonable price. Never had seen anyone document this way but I thought it was an excellent idea. A number of very favorable comments on this board about his work.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

If Jason was close to me and shipping was reasonable, I would send it to him. He could re-valve it professioonally.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i think im gonna send it to him if shipping is cheap
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

>|<>QBB<
kdx220freak wrote:i think im gonna send it to him if shipping is cheap
Smart.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
Matt-itude

Post by Matt-itude »

are you guys revalving you shocks? I thought (oh never mind there is the problem) that the kdx rear shock valving from the factory is supposed to be pretty good?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I think it is, Matt; or more precisely, I think that there isn't much room for improvement for the KDX rear shock. Bang for buck, save your money on a revalve and just do regular service to it. Takes lots of special tools to do it right, so for that matter, it might be worth it to send off for the task.

My credentials? I had my rear shock goldvalved and reshimmed by Race Tech. I don't notice the difference much for what it cost. Carvr thought it worked well though, so I may just be used to it. My stock KX250 rear shock, now there's a shock. Much better than my KDX rear modded shock. BTW, it won't fit on the KDX, I tried. It's too long.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I've gotta get my rear shock serviced. Hopefully that will make the clickers work a little better. If it doesn't i'll be in line for a revalve.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

What about getting the KX shock shortenedededed ?? I know a short fella who got forks shortened. Dunno if he just used longer dogbones or whether he physically got it shortened.

Or am I dreaming again ?? :roll: Is it even worth it ?? :rolleyes: I'll just shut up now !!! :oops:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."