Pipe Question ?/ Desert vs Woods

Got questions? We got answers....
chippy

Post by chippy »

I have a 2006 KDX200 that came with an FMF Desert pipe installed. (no stock pipe) After cleaning up the jetting it runs extremely well, but more in the mid-range than I would like. Most of my riding is done on mountain trails at 3000-6000 ft. The bottom end is weak until you get her rolling and sometimes that is not a good thing! I realize it's a two stroke and that is the nature of the beast, but would the Woods pipe really make a difference? Having never rode with the stock pipe, I just don't know if this is any different down low. Once you get moving, the Desert pipe works great, but sometimes you have to start on the side of a mountain and head up. Then it's not so good.
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Pipe Question ?/ Desert vs Woods

Post by ecojbr »

It will make a lot of difference. The Stock pipe will deliver nicely down low then sign off quickly. Thwe woods pipe will have a really nice bottom that flows into a nice top without the same snap as the rev. Almost a constant pull bottom to top.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

chippy wrote:I have a 2006 KDX200 that came with an FMF Desert pipe installed. (no stock pipe) After cleaning up the jetting it runs extremely well, but more in the mid-range than I would like. Most of my riding is done on mountain trails at 3000-6000 ft. The bottom end is weak until you get her rolling and sometimes that is not a good thing! I realize it's a two stroke and that is the nature of the beast, but would the Woods pipe really make a difference? Having never rode with the stock pipe, I just don't know if this is any different down low. Once you get moving, the Desert pipe works great, but sometimes you have to start on the side of a mountain and head up. Then it's not so good.
In about 4 days I'll be getting a brand new fmf gnarly by ups, but I traded my kdx to an rm250 today. If u are buying a pipe I'll sell it for $150 plus shipping. Keep me in mind if you can't find a good deal. I didn't know I'd be getting rid of my bike so I've got all kinds of parts still in the mail coming to me. Doh!
2002 KDX 200
endurofamily

Post by endurofamily »

Hey action man. What could you sell me the fmf pipe for shipped to 70706. ? Email
Me at endurofamily@yahoo.com thank you. Christina. Best bottom dollar price. We have a hybrid rm250 with 95-06 kdx200 my husband is building. Needs a pipe
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

endurofamily wrote:Hey action man. What could you sell me the fmf pipe for shipped to 70706. ? Email
Me at endurofamily@yahoo.com thank you. Christina. Best bottom dollar price. We have a hybrid rm250 with 95-06 kdx200 my husband is building. Needs a pipe
Honestly $150 + shipping would be about it. I'm already losing $45 on the pipe and thats about all I could do. If it's 10 pounds it $18 shipping. Less then 10 lbs is about $15 give or take a couple bucks.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

endurofamily wrote:Hey action man. What could you sell me the fmf pipe for shipped to 70706. ? Email
I tried to sell you my stock pipe for $60 the other day but you must've missed it lol. Bike(and pipe) are gone now. The day after I bought a new kdx pipe lol.
2002 KDX 200
endurofamily

Post by endurofamily »

Oh no. Lol. Yea I didnt realize it was u. Dang. Well im tryin to get a good pipe for him so if this other fella dont get in touch with me soon ill def buy your pipe. Just tryin to keep him in budget. Isnt that what good wives do? Hehe
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

endurofamily wrote:Oh no. Lol. Yea I didnt realize it was u. Dang. Well im tryin to get a good pipe for him so if this other fella dont get in touch with me soon ill def buy your pipe. Just tryin to keep him in budget. Isnt that what good wives do? Hehe
I paid 208.00 for the pipe two days ago, and I don't think it'll go any cheaper than that new. I understand trying to fit parts into a tight budget though. Your husband sounds like a lucky guy to have a wife trying to buy him parts for his kdx lol. Much as I love my wife, she couldn't care less about bikes lol. She did buy me a fender strat guitar once, so her "positive" column Is a lot fuller than her "negatives" lol.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

The guy that has my kdx just texted me and said he'd give me $190 full price tomorrow morning, so I can't turn that down lol. Sorry about that, but I think anybody here wouldn't pass that up.
2002 KDX 200
chippy

Post by chippy »

I think my post has been hi-jacked!

But seriously, is the woods pipe really that much better on the bottom than the desert pipe? I love the mid-range hit of the desert pipe, but most of my riding is in very steep, rocky terrain. 1st/2nd gear stuff. I plan on taking a trip to the desert this spring, but after that I am tempted to get a woods pipe. Is it really that much of an improvement down low is the question?
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I had both pipes on my 200 and i liked the desert pipe the best. I ride a lot of slow stuff and I couldn't tell much difference down low with either pipe. However the desert pipe had a noticeable hit in the upper rpm range that the woods pipe didn't have.
chippy

Post by chippy »

That's the kind of info I'm looking for!
Thanks canamfan.
I'm just not sure that a woods pipe would be any better right off of idle, at low rpm's. The desert pipe rips once you get moving! A stock pipe might be the better choice here in the mountains, but I have not found one to try yet. I wish I had my origional to play with, but it seems to be lost forever.