Looking into buying a kdx200

Got questions? We got answers....
russell3

Post by russell3 »

Hi everyone. I've been trying to figure out a bike that will work well for what I want to do with it. The kdx seems to be the best, but I'm wondering what some of your opinions are since I've never had the chance to test out a kdx.

I have been riding all my life, and love it. I have had a ton of different kinds of bikes over the years. Right now, I have an xr600. I mostly ride trails and do dual sport rides on it, but occasionally, I do a hare scramble on it. I picked up an xr200 for a winter project that I recently finished. The idea was to get a bike that was much lighter and agile for the really tight stuff and I was going to go down to a smaller bike for the occasional hare scramble because of the weight savings and just run in a smaller CC class. I also want to do some enduros and some of those trails can be very tight. Not going to work too well with the xr600. The xr200 is nice, and I was excited about it because I had one when I was growing up, but man, I am a lot heavier now than I was back then and that xr200 just doesn't have enough power for me. I thought about going to an xr250, but that is a pretty big weight jump, believe it or not. I wanted to find something with disc brakes, a little taller than the xr200, more power, but without sacrificing a lot of the bottom end for the tighter stuff. That's what pretty much led me to the kdx. The kdx has a large stock fuel tank(good for the long distance racing), disc brakes, is full size, weighs the same as the xr200, and has a lot more power according to the hp numbers.

So the plan is to sell the xr200 and find me a bike that will do the racing and tight woods. Only problem is... a kdx is impossible to find. I've been scouring the classifieds for months and I've seen like 2 or 3 kdx's and they were really old models. I kind of want a newer one. Anyone got one for sale in northern Utah?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Looking into buying a kdx200

Post by 6 Riders »

keep looking, don't forget to check nearby cities in Idaho, I know it's a drive, but you might get lucky. In the PNW there is only one available and the guy wants 3k for it, which is to much. Be patient, the bikes will hit the market in Late Feb early march, but they also sell fast. Any KDX from 95-2006 will be pretty much the same, color and graphix is about all that changed.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Post by Mayor Brap Brap »

This will make you feel even better about your decision. I grew up on XRs (80, 200) and got back into dirt biking a few years ago. I found a CRF230F because I thought it would be a sizable jump from the XR200, closer to the XR250. Well, I ended up modding the piss poor suspension on the 230 (XR250 front end), and jetting and piping it. It was a fun bike, but then last Fall my friend let me ride his KDX. Holy hand grenade. The CRF230F was sold a month later and a KDX200 now sits in its place. I did some extensive research, and you cannot find a more dynamite-proof woods bike with more bang for the buck like the KDX. I have never heard a negative thing about the bike.

Good luck! Winter is the best time to buy. I bought mine for $2,000, but it came with extra parts that I sold for $300. It sold with all new plastics, chain, sprocket, full brand new FMF pipe and silencer, seat cover, you name it. Be patient and you'll fine one! :partyman:
russell3

Post by russell3 »

You must have grown up with the same bikes as me, haha. I had a xr75 as my first bike. We later got an 80, a atc70 3 wheeler, 2 xr100's, I got a xr200, etc. Always had 4 strokes. I did have an old trials bike that was 2 stroke, but that's a totally different kind of bike than most anything else. My first 2 stroke after that was a cr500. I loved that bike, but it wasn't designed for trails. lots of vibration, and not enough bottom end. It's the best sand dune bike you can get though and it's so much fun on the mx track. My hope is the kdx still has enough bottom end for the tight stuff, but enough top end to be good in hare scrambles. I've never heard that the bike can't do those things, so I have to try one :mrgreen:
chippy

Post by chippy »

The KDX 200 will absolutely blow away any XR 250. No matter what you do to the Honda.
I have them both, as well as a CRF 250x. It beats them all as far as power and fun factor! I live in the mountains of N.W.Montana and ride trails exclusively. I have riden many an XR 600 on these trails, as well as a few "brand X" 400's and 350"s. My KDX is stock other than an FMF Desert pipe, and it keeps up with the bigger bikes just fine. Actually, they have to play catch-up to me! There is something to be said for lighter and quicker. (and I weigh over 200lbs)
Last edited by chippy on 03:51 pm Jan 24 2014, edited 1 time in total.
russell3

Post by russell3 »

Thanks for the opinions, it does help since I've never ridden a kdx. I'm still looking for one. They come up so rarely on the classifieds around here. I guess everyone is keeping them.
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Deseret Rider »

I have one---and think I PM'd you? Maybe you were not interested?
The Duck of Deseret (Deseret was Utah's first name)
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

Deseret Rider wrote:I have one---and think I PM'd you? Maybe you were not interested?

he isn't a supporting member so he doesn't have PM privileges

I'd sell him my woods KDX if he wanted to come to Michigan to pick it up :lol:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Deseret Rider »

OR----he could come to Utah for mine? Maybe pick up a second wife* as well since that's what we seem to do here.

(* this is a very feeble attempt at humor----and not a requirement to purchase my bike. ha ha )

He could call me for details at 435 472 3500 if he were interested in my machine----I've not otherwise advertised it anywhere.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

lol, that's what he needs, that way his first wife can nag him about the XR and his second can nag him about the KDX
and if he ever decides to buy a muscle car they can team up and nag him together about that :lol:

come to think of it, since he is buying YOUR bike ... :whistle:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Deseret Rider wrote:OR----he could come to Utah for mine? Maybe pick up a second wife* as well since that's what we seem to do here.
He's looking for a bike IN Utah....probably has 3 wifes already :lol:
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Rocket science

Finding a women with a new top end and tight bearings. Non existent.

Finding a KDX with a new top end and tight bearings. They are everywhere. Just not for sale.

:lol:
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
chippy

Post by chippy »

russell3 wrote:Thanks for the opinions, it does help since I've never ridden a kdx. I'm still looking for one. They come up so rarely on the classifieds around here. I guess everyone is keeping them.

That's the problem. Most people keep them.
I've ridden a lot of bikes over the years, but my KDX 200 is probably the most fun bike I have owned. I hate it when my buddies want to swap bikes on the trail. It takes forever to get them to stop and switch back!
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Deseret Rider »

chippy wrote:
russell3 wrote:Thanks for the opinions, it does help since I've never ridden a kdx. I'm still looking for one. They come up so rarely on the classifieds around here. I guess everyone is keeping them.

That's the problem. Most people keep them.
I've ridden a lot of bikes over the years, but my KDX 200 is probably the most fun bike I have owned. I hate it when my buddies want to swap bikes on the trail. It takes forever to get them to stop and switch back!

You have that right----between myself and my sons and grand kids we have 6 of them. I actually have two of them---one for myself and one I built from the ground up for my grandson but still have as my grandson was presented a real nice one that his father found for him. I don't want to sell the second one but would rather keep it as a spare except now I bought a RZR for my wife and need the space in the garage to store it---otherwise I would not be thinking of selling my 'spare'. I've had a lot of dirt bikes though the years ---they are all good---but the KDX is my choice to ride.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Six between you? I think our count is, let me see...90, 90, 91, 94, 95, 97 (220). Yup six here too....but one, my B.I.L's is broken (in half)....looking for one or two more. :lol:
avgKDXjoe

Post by avgKDXjoe »

I only have two. :sad:
'04 KDX 200
'01 KDX 200 (current project)
russell3

Post by russell3 »

I haven't been on the forums for about a week. Sorry, I missed the post about someone having one I can buy. I'll text ya in a few minutes here. it's still a bit early for some people since it's Saturday, so if text doesn't work, I'll call in a couple hours. I always feel bad calling people earlier than about 10 or 11 am on weekends in case they like sleeping in.

Thanks for all the wife jokes, but there's no way I could handle two or more wives, one is enough! LOL Actually, she doesn't even nag about my dirtbike addictions and she's totally supportive of our kids getting bikes, so I think I lucked out.