Anyone know anything about a vforce2 cage?

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Anyone know anything about a vforce2 cage?

Post by Ryan »

hi, i was wondering if it is worth buying a vforce2 setup for my bike or if i would be better off buying just carbon reeds and a moose spacer. Thanks, are reeds still easy to get for this cage??
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've used both the DF2 and the DF3. The DF3 is a better setup. As long as you're going to the trouble of getting a new reed valve, why buy the old one? 'Cuz it's cheep? Not a good idea.

The person to ask about reed availability for the older cage is at MotoTassinari. Give 'em a call. Ask to speak with Jeff. Don't ask the person that answers the phone..well, unless it's Jeff! ;)

If you go that route keep in mind there are (were anyway) two different reed tensions available for the DF2. That is in addition to the two different reed stop tensions available for that cage. My preference was 'low/low'. Your results may vary! (Note I ride the little KDX! The two are not different sizes of the same animal!!)

I never used 'just carbon' ..Boyesen or other.. reeds with a spacer. I couldn't say how that setup compares to a DF2.

The DF2 is hands down better than a Boyesen RadValve, though...so I'd guess it's also an improvement over 'just carbon'.

Good luck.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

so your saying that the df2 is not worth the money?? was there anyone problems with the df2 cages??
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

There is nothing wrong with the DF2. The DF3 is just a newer design that works better. And since the cost difference between the two is minimal you should get the DF3 instead of the DF2.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I say it was worth every penny on my bike. I loved the improved throttle response. I will get a DF3 when these reeds wear out as its probably easier to get in Australia than just the replacement reeds for the DF2.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Most of what I'd call a 'problem' with the DF2 IS its adjustability. Just the different reeds and stops give you four different combos. The way it's setup DOES matter.

It is worth the money when compared to any other reed cage of the same era. Since it has been replaced by a superior product, sensibility would include comparison to that product also.

Or....what m0rie said......... :wink:

Consider the source

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

so the reeds for the df2 are hard to get??
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

will a spacer do the same thing a reed cage will, i was thinking maybe of getting the spacer and some carbon reeds instead of the dfv2. Which one will give me better preformance through the whole rev range.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

In Australia everythings hard to get... Even my sense of humour !!!! :rolleyes:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I haven't used a spacer and haven't heard anything about them so on that basis alone I would choose what is tried and tested.... A DF3...

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

what if i can get a dfv2 for the same cost that it would be to get new carbon fiber reeds?
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Save an extra few bucks and get a DF3, if you can't afford it get the DF2 over carbon reeds.

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

If you could get the DF2 with new reeds for $45-50 thats a good deal...anything more though and I'd get the DF3.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'm missing something??.....

I didn't say the DF2 reeds are hard to get...I don't see that was said by anyone. Do call MT and ask. That way it won't be a 'he said/she said/I heard' thing. You will know what the deal is.

re: Spacer and reed cage do the same thing

Yep! In the same way a piston and a cylinder head do the same thing. :shock:

Thass'a joke, son. The answer is, 'No.'

Some of the effect of both may overlap..but they do not do the same thing.

Boyesen carbon reeds will run you $40. You won't find a DF2 for $40. Well..maybe a used one...but count on the reeds being no good, the reed stop mounts being stripped and no gaskets to boot.

I see a DF2 on the web...for $145.00!!. Cripes!! Why do that?

You say 'What IF...' you can get a DF2 for the same price as reeds.

IF you can..then the logical choice is the DF2 (considering it to be new, working, in tact etc.).

Well, unless the cost of the reeds you're looking at is...$145.00!!!

:roll:

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Thing to consider, some of the DF2's had fitment problems, ask me how I know :evil:

When I finally did get the POS to fit I did not like it. It was like a light switch, on or off. I went back to the 607 power reeds Jerry gave me, and still have them on it.
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

what do spacers do then??
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Reed spacers are generally advertised to increase torque on the bottom end of the throttle range.

A good reed system has to do with fuel induction, smoothing the air-flow, controlling the backflow and stuff. Depending on reed tension, makeup and design the upper rpm ranges are also effected.

Yes, a good reed system will also improve throttle response in the lower throttle ranges..such improved response could be reckoned to be an increase in torque. The two aren't the same thing, though.

Consider the source

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

if i wanted to increase my overall preformance through the rmp rangw would i be better to get the, carbon fiber reeds, carbon fiber reeds with spacer, or the dfv2?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Have you removed your airbox lid, or modified it?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Sounds like you are pretty stuck on the carbon reeds? :rolleyes:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS