Modded Carb Slide ??

Got questions? We got answers....
Charl

Modded Carb Slide ??

Post by Charl »

Hi All,

My Carb slide has been modded as per so:

Any Ideas what the intended outcome was? Looks like it's seen better days to me, perhaps the best route is to get a stock one...
Isn't it funny how knee down is painfull off road, yet foot out is likely impending doom on a Superbikes?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Modded Carb Slide ??

Post by bufftester »

Definitely wouldn't send any parts out to the modder that did that work :shock:
Slide cutaway affects the 1/8-1/4 throttle response, less cutaway it runs richer, more it runs leaner. If it were me I'd source a replacement OEM (though it'll run you $50+, might be able to find a used carb on Ebay and use it for parts).
Charl

Modded Carb Slide ??

Post by Charl »

Yes, its certainly been butchered! Good news is the rest of the carb body looks ok, including block seal. We re returning her to her former glory piecemeal as budget allows.
Thankfully Kawa OEM parts seem to be plentiful and relatively cheap here in South Africa - great service also!

Some very interesting "tweak's" in this carb:

Needle (In bad shape, nibbled by a rat it seems) "NAFH"?? No Idea... cant find it on the needle reference table.

Main Jet - 195

Pilot - 52.

I am at over 5700 feet above sea level in Johannesburg, so its amazing it runs OK - KDX must be mega tough!! Just spooges a lot and eats spark plugs. Better rich than lean when getting an 18 year old bike, I say :-) Loads of room for improvement though.

Will return to stock jets, needle and slide - after payday lol. After that we can progress to proper jetting, trying to jet this marvel of engineering is a waste of time.
Isn't it funny how knee down is painfull off road, yet foot out is likely impending doom on a Superbikes?
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Modded Carb Slide ??

Post by ICRage42 »

are ya runnin crap gas through that?

looks like ethanol enriched.... here on the carbs run a better grade or non ethanol. Slide looks horrible despite mods. Just sayin I had the same look on mine and polished it back best I could and ran a better gas and it looks the same. Ran some low octane to get it home one time and had to repolish. Low octane ethanol ruins carbed models especially small engines. Not saying you but someone ran some weedwhacker mix at some time. :boogie:

but yes slide modded and yep wouldnt send mine out to him rofl :lol:
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Charl

Post by Charl »

I've done say 10 Hrs on it - bikes needed some serious TLC since I got it. Now running quality 97 Octane (The lowest at the pump here is 95). I think this slide would need more than a polish, but may just try that... otherwise, it could have the makings of a new paper weight. :toimonster:

As its clearly been raced, lets hope there's some upside - perhaps a stiffer fork spring, who knows?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I would be concerned that the slide was damaged by debris. I would check the inside of the carb for wear/damage.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Charl

Post by Charl »

Hi Julien,

Your thoughts on the carb body as per below? I though it looked OK. (Sorry about very fuzzy rear pic)

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Looks okay to me, although that notch in the top of the needle tube seems odd. I don't know that I have ever seen that before....
Charl

Post by Charl »

I see the RB Designs Carb has this mod... MMMM. May keep the block. Clearly the slide was not RB. Any Ideas if there would be any other identifying features on the carb body that may show it as an RB Modeed carb?

http://www.rb-designs.com/kdx200-220.htm
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

It doesn't have his divider plate.