Float Bowl service check and adjustment guide

Got questions? We got answers....
Charl

Post by Charl »

Hi All,

Checked the float service hight and adjusted after as per the manual - some pics FYI if anybody ever needs it. (Please feel free to correct!!)

1: Create Level reading pipe- essentially a see through pipe with some sort of cork that can be fitted to the carb drain plug.

2: Attach the see through tube to the side of the carb - connect fuel hose, and get carb perfectly level. Open tap, and observe the fuel rising in the tube until the float valve seals. The fuel should settle at the carb bowl / carb meeting line, or up to 2 MM above that point (Hard to see on the photo - fuel line next to my finger, fuel level probably 4mm to high. (Note, Camera angle wrong here, carb is level).

3: Take open carb and measure float hight. Angle the carb against an object so that the float tab just touches the top of the float fuel shut off without compressing it.
Measure from top of float to carb bowl / carb meeting line. Should be 16mm + - 2. (To get my fuel level to settle as per step 2 I have to adjust my float to 20mm... )

4: If required, adjust tab on float, and repeat 2 until happy.

Isn't it funny how knee down is painfull off road, yet foot out is likely impending doom on a Superbikes?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Float Bowl service check and adjustment guide

Post by bufftester »

I've never done the sight glass method, always just adjust float height to 16mm and go, never had any issues. Nice to get a visual indication of where your bowl fuel level is.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Some good reasons for this method:

1: You have OCD, and ripping out the float every few days is not a feasible option

2: You are waiting for parts and cant ride, and there must be SOMETHING to do

3: You are on leave babysitting kids, and the garage is your sanity

OR

You opened your carb and found this: :hmm:

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 53#p140953
Isn't it funny how knee down is painfull off road, yet foot out is likely impending doom on a Superbikes?
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

:bravo:
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.