1996 kawasaki kdx 200 street build

Got questions? We got answers....
kdxmccallister

Post by kdxmccallister »

Hey guys...im thinking about doing my first build...i have a running 1996 kawasaki kdx 200.... Then i have a non running one...its got the frame, swing arm, chain and sprocket, forks, spring, fmf pipe carburator, airbox handle bars and bottom end of the motor ... Im posting here hoping you guys can get me going in the right direction starting from the first thing i should do...also im wondering i know all the things needed to make it street legal brake light headlights mirrors and all that stuff...im wondering what i need specifically to optimize this bike mechanically for street
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1996 kawasaki kdx 200 street build

Post by bufftester »

The street legal part is going to depend on where you are licensing it, but some of the general things are the addition of a battery and rectifier, DOT compliant Hi/Lo beam, horn and rewind or procure a high output stator. The frame already has the mount for the rear brake switch, and a switch can be modded from a KLR to work fairly easily. Better yet is to use pressure switches (the type that replace the banjo bolts on the brake lines) which makes wiring brake lights that work with front/rear much easier. Baja Designs is one of the more common companies that makes a dual sport kit to do all this. You'll also need DOT compliant tires.

As for the build portion you already have a running bike, so are you planning on using it, or building the other parts into a second bike? SuperM or dual-sport? Plenty of examples of both on the site here, and the folks who built them are always happy to answer questions. As for optimization, depends on what you want to do with it. Dual sport I'd go with a larger tank, soft seat foam, grip heaters...make it comfy to ride all day. SuperM 17in wheels/rims. etc etc
kdxmccallister

Post by kdxmccallister »

Im going keep my already running bike as a woods bike...and im going to try to build the other one... order new parts and accessories etc for it..and im going to try to make it primarily street not dual
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kx200 »

I have a 1997 220 that I bought in 2001. It has over 7500 miles on it now. I'm still on the stock piston!!!! :shock: Wish I had a hour meter on it back then cant imagine how many hours would be on it. Good oil at 50:1 Wal Mart super tech TC-W3.
It came with a FMF pipe and stock silencer. I like the stock silencer because its quiet. I am running a 15 tooth on the front and a 45 in the rear. The power valve is still closed at 60mpg. Top speed is 92mph. I run a DOT 35w headlight and a LED tail light. I use a full wave rectifier to charge the 1.3 ah gel battery and it runs the brake, horn, turn signals, and instrument lamps. The head light is AC and runs only when the motor is running. Also using led bulbs in the rear turn signals only. I have been using up my old knobbies on the street works fine.
kdxmccallister

Post by kdxmccallister »

Heck yeah...you think i should use the same gearing 15 and 45 being that its a 200...what kind of suspension setup should i look at...and where's a good place to buy a parts online? Oh and what would be the best supermoto tire for it
kdxmccallister

Post by kdxmccallister »

Also what kind of brakes should i look at...from everything I've read it seems most superm bikes get larger brake system
kdxmccallister

Post by kdxmccallister »

Somebody say something...help me out!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The stock brakes work just fine for the street, if you grab a handful of em, your gonna hit concrete! Leave them on and if needed rebuild the masters and calipers.
I run 14/47 on both my KDXs, one street and one dirt, it's plenty fast. This is not a freeway bike, it's a back roads with a little dash down the highway bike.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
kdxmccallister

Post by kdxmccallister »

Cool thanks man
Charl

Post by Charl »

I've also thought about going this way eventually - I saw a KDX on the road a few days with 3 spokes that looked like TZR 250 wheels on it. Didn't see any swingarm / fork mods, or to the calipers. Unsure what he may have done to the hubs, but he ended up with a "street Fighter" look. If I did anything it would also be dual sport.
Isn't it funny how knee down is painfull off road, yet foot out is likely impending doom on a Superbikes?
kdxmccallister

Post by kdxmccallister »

Yeah that's kinda what i wanna do... But now i can't find a top end for my motor...is there a board i can post to try and find one on here?
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

kdxmccallister

Post by kdxmccallister »

Dude I've been wanting to talk to you actually...but couldn't figure out how to pm you....that's a sweet bike...well done...i have a few questions...did you do anything to suspension brakes or gearing to optimize it for the road..and are there any other mods that would be beneficial for me
Charl

Post by Charl »

That looks fantastic!
Isn't it funny how knee down is painfull off road, yet foot out is likely impending doom on a Superbikes?
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

kdxmccallister wrote:Dude I've been wanting to talk to you actually...but couldn't figure out how to pm you....that's a sweet bike...well done...i have a few questions...did you do anything to suspension brakes or gearing to optimize it for the road..and are there any other mods that would be beneficial for me
Thanks guys,
I think you have to be a supporting member to be able to send PMs.
all the info you asked about is in my thread.
best regards
john
kdxmccallister

Post by kdxmccallister »

Ok cool thanks man