Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Got questions? We got answers....
vlxk98

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Post by vlxk98 »

I did something last weekend I have never done before. I my excitement to get out on the trail with my new KLX forks I put 2 gallons of gas in my KDX can on top of roughly one gallon already in there. Got down to White Rock in AR, topped off the tank, maybe 3/4 gallon, rode 22 miles of easy trails mixed with some really nice single track according to my buddy's Trail Tech. Had one nice encounter with a tree, no damage, and a rear flat that ended up being the valve core after changing the tube!

Loaded up and on the drive home I realize I didn't add oil to the 2 gallons of gas I added to the fuel container! :sad:

I did not notice any issues with the mighty KDX running any differently than before. There was the same small dribble of spooge out the end of the muffler with a few oily spots on the rear fender as usual. The one thing that concerns me is the coolant in the catch tank went from the full mark to the low mark, it has never done that before. The tranny oil in the window is not milky. Compression seems the same when I kick through the stroke with the starter lever.

So I'm concerned about damage done because of lack of proper lubrication for 22 miles, roughly 2 hours of run time.

I normally keep things pretty clean, so this week I'll pull the pipe and peer in there to see what I can see as well as pulling the carb to drain it and look through the intake side. I have already drained the fuel out of the tank.

By the way, the KLX forks were a great improvement as far as steering precision goes. I felt much more confident and was able to stay on line better than with the stockers.
Charl

Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Post by Charl »

Hi,

What was the mix ratio prior to dilution?
Isn't it funny how knee down is painfull off road, yet foot out is likely impending doom on a Superbikes?
vlxk98

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Post by vlxk98 »

Sorry, I forgot all the info.

'95 200, 40:1 Yamalube 2R. Maybe 10-12 hours on new Wiseco piston/rings from rescue rebuild.
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

Well if your running 40:1 and added 2 gallons that would put your mix at around 120:1. In only 22 miles at White Rock you probably spent the majority of the time on the pilot circuit and didn't run her really hard. The bottom end probably had quite a bit of residual oil from previous rides. Unless you had a BEFORE event compression number and could compare it to an AFTER event number you are stuck with a memory of what it feels like to your foot. The difference if any may not be noticeable to your kicker foot. You could take the pipe off and peer through the exhaust flange and look for any obvious damage. There is no good way to check for bottom end damage without pulling the top off.

I doubt any damage was done. If you didn't notice a decline in performance it is probably OK. Did you take some hours from the longevity of the top and bottom end? Maybe, but how would you ever know. Ride it and enjoy it. If it bothers you and makes you not trust it rebuild it. I know what I would do, I would ride on like it never happened.

By the way next time you head to White Rock let me know I am in NW AR and a member of Razorback Riders. Lots of good stuff in those woods.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
vlxk98

Post by vlxk98 »

The good news is there wasn't any damage to the exhaust side of the piston :grin: . I stuck my finger in the port and the top of the piston was smooth and oily. I'm gonna go with the no damage this time scenario.

The remaining question I have though, is what happened to the few ounces of coolant lost on this ride? The radiator was full to the top when I removed the cap this morning, but the catch tank was low at the end of the ride. What are the symptoms of a blown head gasket? Wouldn't there be oily residue in the coolant? (There is none).

Skythrasher, I have been to White Rock twice. I go with one of the old members of the club there, he goes by the name "Pinball" without giving out his name on this forum without his permission. He knows where all the good single track trails are that don't get ridden very often.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I'd throw new rings in it if it you're worried. Probably didn't hurt it much though or it would've seized up already.
2002 KDX 200
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

The coolant issue is a long time debate among kdx owners. There are several opinions on why it is hard to keep coolant in the catch tank. I have two 200's and neither one has ever overheated, but neither one will keep coolant in the catch tank. I can fill it to the line and they blow it out. I quit even checking it years ago.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Loss of a little coolant is normal on an open overflow system with such a small volume like these. Heat from the cooling system expands the air in the catch tank and blows some out the overflow. The catch tank obviously did its job if the radiators are still full. I always just topped off my catch tank and never worried much. With my engine now in a hybrid I have no catch tank and have no issues losing fluid. Doubtful you did any damage to the bike in that short period. Just don't make a habit of it :grin: