Jumping gears

Got questions? We got answers....
Charl

Jumping gears

Post by Charl »

Hi All,

Since I got the bike is was " lurching / hunting" pulling mid range in 4th and 5the. Last night I fixed a leaky clutch gasket, and replaced the oil with an auto type (read the oil article - " the great oil debate" : http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/720396 ... il-change/ ) and tried a diesel auto oil 15 / 40. Previous was Motul 4t/2t trans oil.

Now the bike finds false neutrals.

So theories are - in order of preference:

1: Change to better oil

2: Messed something up putting clutch cover back on ( 5mm play, feels fine - doesn't like to be kicked in gear though, feel some resistance)

3: Snapped spring return (Neutral Set lever) behind clutch

4: Bent forks, etc etc....

Place your bets ladies and gents - any other Ideas?
Isn't it funny how knee down is painfull off road, yet foot out is likely impending doom on a Superbikes?
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Jumping gears

Post by Goofaroo »

#3 is my guess if it wasn't doing this before. It may just not be set in there correctly instead of actually broken. The "lurching/hunting" you describe is unrelated. Did the bike shift fine before you replaced the side cover gasket?

As for the lurching/hunting and idle problems in your other post- Once you answer a few questions there you may find that you have other issues in which case you may just need to fix the shifting problem while the engine is disassembled.
Charl

Jumping gears

Post by Charl »

Ok, I tend to agree - she was shifting sweet as a nut before.
Isn't it funny how knee down is painfull off road, yet foot out is likely impending doom on a Superbikes?
Charl

Post by Charl »

Changing oil seemed to do the trick!

I tried it again yesterday, and realised that false nuetral only happened when the motor was throroughly warmed up. Deduction - oil viscosity when warm is not to the the "ridden in" trannie's liking (It 28 Deg C here). Changed to some single viscosity 40, and tada! Positive changes all round, but clutch a tad draggy when engaging 1st. Going to use this as a starting point and find something in between in the ATF section.

If you REALLY try, you can find a nuetral between 4th and 5th, so clearly the trannie has seen better days, but not going to loose sleep over it.

Thanks Goofaroo, and Happy new year!
Charl

Post by Charl »

It turns out oil viscosity is not the cure of all ills (Surprise!) - Gear lever loose. Talk about a darwin award moment... :oops:

I checked the neutral return spring movement while the wife was swapping the cogs, and the movement was erratic - tada, loose lever... Once tightened all seems well.

All of this however led to the discovery of the rusted Magneto and dodgy clutch discovery. I took off the cover to secure the flywheel to discover this - ouch! and now for a clean up, and a new cover. I also discovered that there is a thrust washer missing in the clutch - mow the large spring that goes against the last friction plate has no "SEAT-SPRING" as per the manual, so getting new ones...

Heres to hoping the Gearbox is not at fault. Meanwhile, observe the water bath below ( treated to leads of Q20....)