Jetting Issues?

Got questions? We got answers....
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Jetting Issues?

Post by Fatherof2 »

Hi Gang,

I have been doing a little winter riding this year.

The issue is that I now seem to have a spooge problem. I have a fair amount of spooge coming from the connecting ring between my Gnarly pipe and my tail pipe. It is dripping down on my swingarm. I also seem to have spooge coming from the point where my Gnarly connects to the engine. And now I seem to have spooge coming from my spark plug. The strange thing is that the bike runs fine. I know that due to the cold temps I need to mix my fuel a bit richer which I did yesterday. Hope that helps.

Thoughts?

For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
Charl

Re: Jetting Issues?

Post by Charl »

Hi,

What mix ratio are you running? My bike is running rich on main jet, and oil / fuel at 32 to 1. Having similar issues, no plug spooge though...
Isn't it funny how knee down is painfull off road, yet foot out is likely impending doom on a Superbikes?
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

You need to clean the area around the plug and then take the plug out and see what is going on there. Obviously it is not sealing properly and that will need to be fixed. That alone may fix your problem but a compression test is also in order.

You said you are mixing the fuel a bit richer. Are you saying that you are adding more oil? That certainly won't help. What mixture are you running?
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Agree that there should be no leakage from the spark plug. Also, a richer mixture is not the solution, but in would not lean it out past 40:1 either. Sounds like the jetting needs to be adjusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Jetting Issues?

Post by Fatherof2 »

The fuel I ran on Saturday was 50 to 1.

I need to find some time to pull the plug and see what is up.

I tried to remove it with my fingers but was unable. With the looks of it, I was afraid it was only finger tight.

Wierd that it runs fine. I dont notice any issues with that.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

50:1 seems really light on oil. Here is a good article on fuel mixture

http://www.dirtriders.info/mixture.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I tried to remove it with my fingers but was unable. With the looks of it, I was afraid it was only finger tight.
It would have been great if it was only finger tight.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Goofaroo wrote:
It would have been great if it was only finger tight.
Lol. You are talking about the spark plug? Right? :)
2002 KDX 200
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

That didn't sound right.

But I'm stickin' with it!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I suggest:

clean around plug, then take plug out and inspect, re-install/replace
clean pipe to cylinder junction and check copper crush gasket, o-rings and wear on cylinder to pipe junction area...perhaps some sealant in that area
clean pipe to silencer/spark arrestor area
re-pack silencer/spark arrestor if it is re-packable
fresh fuel at 32:1 - 40:1

Why did you change ratio for temperature??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Does it help to run a hotter plug if you lug the engine most of the time? I am jetted spot on and run 40:1 but I still get a little spooge as well. Would a b7es help that? Sorry for the thread jack, but I think that pertains to this topic as well. :)
2002 KDX 200
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

Jason wrote:I suggest:

clean around plug, then take plug out and inspect, re-install/replace
clean pipe to cylinder junction and check copper crush gasket, o-rings and wear on cylinder to pipe junction area...perhaps some sealant in that area
clean pipe to silencer/spark arrestor area
re-pack silencer/spark arrestor if it is re-packable
fresh fuel at 32:1 - 40:1

Why did you change ratio for temperature??

Jason,

Temperature- For most of us changes in air temperature will have the greatest effect on our jetting. As the air temperature gets colder the air density increases. The air molecules become less active ( move around less ) and therefore take up less space. Because they take up less space more air, and therefore more oxygen, can fit into a measured volume of air as the temperature decreases. As the temperature drops the engine will begin to run leaner and more gasoline will need to be added to compensate. As the temperature increase the engine will begin to run richer and less gasoline will be needed.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Did you ever put a wrench to that spark plug? If it was just finger tight, that might have explained your problem and you could have just cleaned everything and installed a fresh plug. Unfortunately, if the plug is in there tight it looks like you have some stripped threads to deal with. I'm curious to see what's going on here. I've never seen that much goo around the base of a spark plug. Did that happen quickly or has it been years since you cleaned the motor or removed that plug?

I'd also be curious to see what kind of compression you've got if you can get a tester threaded into the hole.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Jetting Issues?

Post by Dekon »

You want to change your jetting, not your oil/fuel ratio to get richer for the cold and leaner for the hot.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jetting Issues?

Post by bufftester »

Dekon wrote:You want to change your jetting, not your oil/fuel ratio to get richer for the cold and leaner for the hot.
+1 Always jet to your premix ratio, not the other way around. Jetting for 85F is not going to be the same as jetting for 30F riding. Of more concern is the leakage around the plug, shouldn't be doing that. Either the plug is not correctly torqued or was reused with a damaged crush gasket (or no gasket), or there's a crack in the thread seat area.
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Jetting Issues?

Post by Deseret Rider »

Cut four inches out of a 10 speed bicycle inner tube and stretch it over the pipe/muffler junction. That will end the oil drip out of that area.
I don't see a compression gasket on the plug?? Torque your spark plug---finger tight doesn't get it.
The Duck of Deseret (Deseret was Utah's first name)
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Jetting Issues?

Post by Fatherof2 »

Hi Guys,

Had some time to work on the bike today.

As I mentioned, I was unable to remove the plug with just my fingers. From the looks of the picture above, you would think the plug was barely in there.

Turns out that it was about half a turn from being finger tight when I put a wrench on it.

I installed a fresh plug and she is good to go. I think the spooge problem is gone.

By the way, I spoke to Jeff Fredette yesterday and he told me not to mess with the jetting. He said that you must run richer in the cold weather just as I stated in my previous post. Not trying to start a debate here, I know that jetting can be an art as much as a science but I trust Fredette. He is a living legend.

I got out today for a New Years Day ride. 20 degress, but stayed totally warm and had a great time!

Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Outstanding! Glad it was a minor issue.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Just so glad I don't have to put spiky tires on to ride in the winter :grin: Glad you got it sorted and got some saddle time in!
NewKDX

Post by NewKDX »

I have a similar problem I run 32:1 and I have oil on my spokes and fender. Not much oil but is it possible to get ride of the oil and just have it smoke. I have a 2005 KDX 200 all stock to get rid of the excess oil don't I just need to adjust my idle and air screw?