Front Disc Grab / Wear

Got questions? We got answers....
Charl

Front Disc Grab / Wear

Post by Charl »

Hi All,

I replaced a badly worn front dist with a non - floating one, and am finding that the inside pad is not contacting in full - when inspecting from the front it appears that the pads are grabbing the disc from the top, with a slight andgle opening downwards causing the pad to contact initial improving at the outer edge of the disc, and the contact patch enlarging as the pads and disc beds in. Any Ideas? Perhaps slight fork tube bend?

Tx, Charl
Isn't it funny how knee down is painfull off road, yet foot out is likely impending doom on a Superbikes?
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Front Disc Grab / Wear

Post by Goofaroo »

The non-floating disk is correct. The problem is that your caliper is not floating. It needs to be disassembled, cleaned, greased, and reinstalled.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Thanks for the tip - will that over the next few days.
Isn't it funny how knee down is painfull off road, yet foot out is likely impending doom on a Superbikes?
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I tell you what; my brakes have always been good, but I did a complete disassembly including popping out the pistons and draining/cleaning the lines, master cylinder, and reservoir, greasing the sliding pins, and polishing the metal tension plates, and I was floored at how awesome my brakes became. It took about an hour, but every time I apply my brakes I know it was worth it. It's confidence inspiring to know I can stop reliably when I need it! The rear brakes as well- they had been dragging slightly, but now they are usable! I seldom use rear brakes, but they work awesome when I need em!
2002 KDX 200
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Post by Mayor Brap Brap »

I had to completely rebuild the rear caliper on mine--the bike almost couldn't be walked across the shop in neutral it was so grabby. Brake cleaner+lithium grease+an hour of scrubbing= brand new brakes. I even used all the old seals and they were fine. If that doesn't fix it, you have another problem.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Ok - Ill be a scrubbing then!
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I tell you what; my brakes have always been good, but I did a complete disassembly including popping out the pistons and draining/cleaning the lines, master cylinder, and reservoir, greasing the sliding pins, and polishing the metal tension plates, and I was floored at how awesome my brakes became. It took about an hour, but every time I apply my brakes I know it was worth it. It's confidence inspiring to know I can stop reliably when I need it! The rear brakes as well- they had been dragging slightly, but now they are usable! I seldom use rear brakes, but they work awesome when I need em!
Yep. The brakes on these bikes are actually pretty damned good if they are maintained properly. Once you get them dialed in and have reversed the neglect you just need to flush the system with new fluid and clean and grease the pins at least once a season and they'll stay that way. Any torn or cracked rubber needs to be replaced as well. Of course, the same rules apply to the rest of the bike as well.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Hi All,

Did the work - all sorted out tx.