97 KDX200 - smoke/fair bit of spooge at higher altitude

Got questions? We got answers....
AussieKDX200

Post by AussieKDX200 »

Hi guys

First big ride weekend for the KDX and it ran perfectly in the high country. No stalling, no bogging, no hesitation from any throttle position whatsoever.

The only thing that raised an eyebrow was a little more smoke than I noticed the only other time I had ridden the bike (sea level), and a fair bit of spooge. My exhaust tip is oily, and a large amount has dripped down from the chamber/silencer join onto the swingarm.

Here are some stats from the weekend:

Riding between 2000-4000' ASL
Motul 800 @ 40:1
PC pipe and silencer
Enlarged airbox lid hole
NGK B9ES (Going to switch to a BR8ES, but it seems fine as is)
Fairly low speed/technical riding barely ever past half throttle
Dusty conditions, filter a bit dirty day 2
Low hour bike with good compression

What I don't have yet is my jetting spec, but I was hoping for some preliminary thoughts given it ran perfect with just a little spooge at sea level, and ran fine again (albeit a little more smoky/lots of spooge), at higher altitude. From searching the forum, it seems my pilot may be a little rich at the higher altitude experienced on the weekend?

Any thoughts appreciated!
1997 KDX200R
AussieKDX200

Post by AussieKDX200 »

Any thoughts?

Am a bit hesitant to rip apart the carb as it runs so sweet, apart from the spooge!

Given I am doing fairly low speed/low throttle opening stuff would a hotter (BR8ES) plug give me a better burn?
1997 KDX200R
adam728
Supporting Member

Re: 97 KDX200 - smoke/fair bit of spooge at higher altitude

Post by adam728 »

Higher elevation requires leaner jetting. Less air density.

Sent via morse code
AussieKDX200

Post by AussieKDX200 »

Yeah - am across the basics there, but before I go fiddling with jetting it would be good to cross off any 'simple' fixes, as the bike runs great.

A few guys on the Australian offroad forum have suggested that Motul 800 is designed to be run at more like 50-60:1, and I should move closer to that, or 'downgrade' to Motul 710 if I wish to stay at 40:1.
1997 KDX200R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 97 KDX200 - smoke/fair bit of spooge at higher altitude

Post by bufftester »

A bit more spooge at altitude is to be expected as you are running richer. The real question is where do you normally ride? You would want to jet for the majority of your riding, and make air screw adjustments for the other times. Since the KDX stock runs on the rich side, and the mods you've done would lean it out a bit just jet it for your normal riding area and enjoy!