2 stroke mix

Got questions? We got answers....
bigbytree

2 stroke mix

Post by bigbytree »

I have a 2002 KDX 220. I own a tree service and we run non ethinol supreme gas and mix with Husky XP Semi Synthetic two stroke mix. We run all our chainsaws at 50:1 with this mix and gas. Can I run this same mix/gas ratio in my KDX?
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2 stroke mix

Post by Sullyfam »

Only concern I would have is the ratio. Not a lot of oil at 50:1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Some folks run 50:1 with Amsoil, but that is a little light on the oil. I've run 40:1 for years with no problem. Make sure you jet to the ratio you use.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

It's not uncommon at all to run 50:1 or even higher on full synthetic oil. I have no experience with the Husky XP semi synthetic but I would be nervous running it at more than 40:1. I ran 80:1 in my GasGas trials bike but I wasn't running it at long sustained high speed (obviously) and I used a blend of race gas and pump gas to help keep it cool. In your KDX, you could probably run at 50:1 or even higher
but 40:1 will give you peace of mind. The jetting needs to be correct regardless of what ratio you use but it will become especially important to make sure you run more oil if your bike is jetted lean. On the flip side, if you're jetting setup is rich you can get away with a lesser amount of oil in the fuel.

For the sake of reliability and long engine life, the simple thing to do is run 40:1 and just make sure your bike is jetted in the ballpark and running crisp. However, I've never heard of anyone having problems just because they were running 50:1. Problems are usually caused by air leaks or completely improper jetting.

If you are hoping to use the same gas for your KDX and your chain saws, you could probably just mix it all at 40:1 or 45:1 and be done with it.
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

i personally run 32:1(castor927) in my bikes. my kx125 loved it. and didnt smoke to much. or drip any oil out the pipe. and in our 100cc yamaha gokarts we run 22:1 and the only time you see smoke is when you lift..... which is never lmao
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

I run 32:1 in the kdx and when I owned a RM250 I ran 40:1.

ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

Everyone will laugh at me I am sure. But I have been running 50:1 in my DX for two years now. Running 40:1 in the KX's. Never once have we had a problem. That's 12 races a year plus ride time. I wouldn't give it a second thought. If you stay with one mix for everything you will have better results from fresh fuel.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

I wouldn't laugh, but don't see the benefit of running 50:1 as much as the potential cost that's all. Not suggesting there is not a benefit, I just don't know of any.

adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

There is no performance or longevity advantage to running small amounts of oil. What's "best" depends on a huge number of variables. How the biken is ridden, jetted, engines specific power output, the list goes much further.

Sent via morse code
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Here is a good article on the subject..

http://www.dirtriders.info/mixture.html

ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

Great atricle, Most people don't realize the difference in jetting. I like to run less due to the fact that we burn 4-5 gallon per season !!! Sounds kinda silly but it is a pain. Lucas is the only decent oil I can find by the gallon. Doesn't seem like a big deal but when your buying what I use by the quart/liter it's a pita!!!. There are a million theories about oil mixture. One great article was proven that the most power was made at 16:1. I like the 40:1 myself, everyone runs something different. Back in the 80's I ran amsoil at 100:1. Not beacuse I wanted to but thats what Dad mixed for me and at that age if I had gas I didn't care. Never had a failure with it, and if I could buy amsoil local or by the gallon I would do it again. It just worked.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

I run Amsoil Interceptor at 50:1 in everything I own that burns pre-mix. No problems ever. I have been running this for several years. Several good places to get Amsoil products in NW Arkansas and SW Missouri.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
bigbytree

Rear Fender MX style

Post by bigbytree »

Where do I and can I get a MX style rear fender for my 2002 KDX 220.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Rear Fender MX style

Post by SS109 »

I run Maxima 927 at 32:1 just for the simple facts of the summer temps here in the desert, the extra bit of power, and piece of mind. It is easily found in gallon jugs. Saving the little bit of $$$ on oil isn't worth it IMO compared to the benefits. I built my bike to last for the long haul so I'm not scrimping on oil. However, run what makes you happy.
bigbytree wrote:Where do I and can I get a MX style rear fender for my 2002 KDX 220.
Search "fender" and you'll find the info.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
GREENSCREAMER

2 stroke mix

Post by GREENSCREAMER »

I may be screwing up and dont know it, but.....

I have been running Amsoil Dominator Full Synthetic at 2.5 oz. per gallon of premium gas (non ethanol when i can find it) and have no problems yet in my 99 kdx 200, 98 rmx250, and 04 gg 280TXTPro.

Have personally put ~600 miles on the kdx, even rode it in an endurance race last summer for 24 hrs. logged 145 hard miles in that one!

With this mix i do have a small amount of oil leakage out of the exhaust though.
Love the smell of 2 stroke smoke!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Not surprising to have spooge at 26:1 (2.5oz/gal). but definitely not in danger of under oiling the motor.
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

bufftester wrote:Not surprising to have spooge at 26:1 (2.5oz/gal). but definitely not in danger of under oiling the motor.
I think that would be 51:1 :doh:
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

skythrasher wrote:
bufftester wrote:Not surprising to have spooge at 26:1 (2.5oz/gal). but definitely not in danger of under oiling the motor.
I think that would be 51:1 :doh:
duhh... :rolleyes: public school math in action lol. that's why I use my mixmaster thats just marked with the ratios for 5 gallons.
redneckrider

2 stroke mix

Post by redneckrider »

All the kdx riders around here run belray at 40:1 the carbs stay clean preformance is exceptional. We ride hard all the time and we have had zero issues.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

2 stroke mix

Post by 6 Riders »

redneckrider wrote:All the kdx riders around here run belray at 40:1 the carbs stay clean preformance is exceptional. We ride hard all the time and we have had zero issues.
+1
Oil of your choice, 1 pint to 5 gal. of gas...easy easy!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type