Exhaust Port Leak

Got questions? We got answers....
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Exhaust Port Leak

Post by Mayor Brap Brap »

Okay, I've finally gotten it all buttoned back up after nearly three months of fixing a litany of issues the seller never disclosed. And it's alive! Pictures soon to follow.

The only thing now is a small trickle leak coming from the exhaust port. Should I RTV the end of the FMF pipe that fits into the cylinder? It seems strange that this bike relies on springs rather than flange bolts. What's the point of having a crush washer too?

H-series 200.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Exhaust Port Leak

Post by s10gto »

Just put a new fmf pipe on my bike and they recommend high temp RTV. I like the Ultra copper rtv.

Looking forward to the pic's :grin:
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Thank you! I'll slather it up. Pictures soon in another thread!
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Actually, I couldn't wait. Here are some to tie you over before I do a little stickering and graphics and shoot it with the 5D Mark III.

s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Exhaust Port Leak

Post by s10gto »

WOW! My Jaw just hit the keyboard! Nice work! :prayer: :supz:
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

Beautiful!

Well done!!
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Best looking kdx yet! If you had a maier rear mx fender it would be a knockout! Even as it is though, it is sweet! Where did you find the front fender brace? I needs me one!
2002 KDX 200
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Beautiful job on the bike! I would add some hand guards to protect your digits and call it a day. Very tastefully done.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Goofaroo wrote:Beautiful job on the bike! I would add some hand guards to protect your digits and call it a day. Very tastefully done.
Needs a few coats of black spray paint and some skull stickers then it's all done! Lol. Noooooooo!
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Seriously though: what year model are those shroud stickers? I'm getting me some as soon as you tell me! Looks beautiful ! All the aftermarket bling in the world never looks as good as a tasteful and functional design of which yours is a textbook example. A set of Klx usd forks with new white guards and you'll hit a home run!
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Never mind! Just ordered front fender, radiator shrouds, side panels, frame protectors, and those exact graphics! Your bike looked so good it made me spend $200 lol. Damn you to heck!
2002 KDX 200
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Thanks guys! I'm up in Bumblefrack, ME without power and just came back to this. Woo hoo!

Okay, front fender brace was made by the crazy guy I bought the bike from. I have a friend in CT who powder coats and he did that along with the KIPS cover and a few other things.

MX fender would be slick, but I kind of really like that lame angled look you see on so many factory thumpers of yesteryear. Hand guards and pipe guard are on the way.

I believe those are Factory FX '02 shroud stickers the precious owner put on. They're about $45 on eBay. I'm contemplating the EVO9 decals, but we 'll see.

Frame was painted with Eastwood VHT Rollbar and Chassis black. It now matches the ZRX--pictures coming after theis ice storm melts and we have power again!

Many, many thanks to all of you regarding your help and tolerance of my sometimes inane questions :D and I would feel bad about causing a spending spree, but when I think of all the others who made me drop oodles of cash because of their bikes, well, it all comes back around. :)
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

that kdx fender looks great! I actually like how it looks, but the front of your bike is so cool it would be a little "swoopier" with the mx rear thats all. As it sits now it looks like a million bucks! I have the maier rear, and soon im getting another kdx style rear cause im kind of growing fond of it again lol.
2002 KDX 200
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

By the way, they are all brand new UFO plastics and a Factory FX gripper seat. I hand cut the white number decal for the headlight. The front fender is the wide version. If this guy did anything right, it was the plastics. He should have stopped there before ruining everything else. :D
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Exhaust Port Leak

Post by s10gto »

I have been looking around for a KDX project bike. May have found a 01 with a blown bottom end. Your bike makes me want to just dive right in ,but Man did you have to set the Bar soooooo HIgh...... Beautiful simply Beautiful! :supz:
Yugmoto

Exhaust Port Leak

Post by Yugmoto »

Nice job on the KDX, it looks great. I have got to get to work on my bike. For the exhaust port I've been using stove rope on most of my bikes with good results, although I have not used it on the KDX since I am not to that point with my project yet. I use it without any sealer/RTV at all, seems to soak up any residue and seal it off, high temp resistant as well with no mess. The only problem is that here in AZ the hardware store folks look at you like you're crazy when you ask for it. If you are in the north east I would suspect it is more readily available. I shouldn't have sold my ZRX, you're killin me.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The crush washer is to keep the end of the steel pipe from damaging the aluminum cylinder. Over time, it will elongate (or waller out for my fellow southerners) the port.

Good job on the bike. It looks clean.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

A better look at the angles. Once I get the carb leak figured out and the damn snow and ice calms down, I'll take it outside from some high resolution shots.

Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Looks great! I have had a carb leaking and finally broke down and ordered a new float needle, float and gasket. Figured that would cure it, but won't know for sure until Thursday. What's up with you carb and what trouble shooting have you been able to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

It's your typical pissing out the bowl drain tube unless it's in the off position. I cleaned the carb, set float height and checked the float needle, and all were fine and dandy before reassembling. Can the rubber tip simply get hard and not work right? There was no stepping or grooving--it looked like it was in perfect shape. Never had this problem with any other bike.

The exhaust leak, however, has been fixed, courtesy of some red RTV. So that's a plus!