KLX fork guards installed

Got questions? We got answers....
vlxk98

KLX fork guards installed

Post by vlxk98 »

First, sorry about the less than optimal picture quality. Once we get out of this period of liquid global warming that is going on in SWMO I'll take some better photos.

Brake line holder

left side view

right side bottom, w/added mounting hole

left side both front holes line up

left side added mounting hole

Upon further review, not having the small spacers behind the guards at the bottom may cause the guard to be too close to the fork leg at the bottom. I'm concerned that as the fork approaches full compression the upper tube might contact the guard. If it ever warms up and stops raining/sleeting/snowing, I'll get a better look at it.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KLX fork guards installed

Post by KDXGarage »

Which combination of parts am I looking at?? Can you post some background information in this thread? Thanks.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Jason wrote:Which combination of parts am I looking at?? Can you post some background information in this thread? Thanks.
I'd say those are 2000 kx250 guards Jason. I borrowed a set tonite from a friend to try fitment, and on my 05 Klx forks they fit nicely. The slider rings on the upper tube need a smidgen of spacer to make them tight, but they can made to work well. I put 03 kx125 guards on mine and they work alright but I'd rather have the 2000 kx models.
2002 KDX 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OK, so KX guards on KLX forks.

I think the 1996 - 2003 KX125/KX250 guards are about the same, aren't they? I know 2004 saw the KDX (Honda CR) style routing.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Jason wrote:OK, so KX guards on KLX forks.

I think the 1996 - 2003 KX125/KX250 guards are about the same, aren't they? I know 2004 saw the KDX (Honda CR) style routing.
Actually, mine may be kxf 250 guards. The have three mounting holes around the bottom circumference of the guard almost equally spaced. I had to trim, space, and mod them to get em to fit and they still aren't to my liking. Mine also have the brake holder attachment on the guard with the two bolts. It look nothin like those guards above or the 2000 kx guards I borrowed which have a "flat" spot at the front for two mounting holes. I'd recommend 2000 kx250 guards or any other model year with that flat front and two closely spaced holes. The are closest to fitting with minimal headache.
2002 KDX 200
vlxk98

Post by vlxk98 »

The background is...KLX300 forks on 95 200. The fork guards are UFO #116332 (KA03704-280) for 96-02 KX125-250.

The guides at the top are just a little too big so there is a need for something to take up that space, I used racer tape for now.

I elongated the inside hole on the RH guard to allow the guard to move closer inboard for more protection to the inside of the fork tube. I added a hole on the outside of the RH guard for support (the guard has a hole already but it doesn't line up with anything on the fork lug. That mounting point still required the small metal spacer behind the guard, I think you can see it in the picture.

On the left side the front two holes line up perfectly. I added a hole on the outside for stability, the original hole in the guard doesn't line up with anything on the fork lug. I did not use the metal spacer on that mounting point.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you for the additional info.