Best paint for dirtbike parts? PlastiDip?

Got questions? We got answers....
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

When my KX500 front end comes in, I was thinking about painting some of the parts but was wondering what would hold up the best. I figured PlastiDip could work? I used it on housings of the KC Daylighters on my Jeep... painted them with the rattle can stuff about 2 years ago and they still are holding uppretty darn good... but then again, the Jeep only drives on pavement. I wanted to paint the triple trees black and MAYBE the top of the fork tubes (might polish them up, have to take a look at em when I get them). Anyone use PlastiDip on their bikes? What other options do I have besides powder coating? I may end up having the triple's powder coated if all else fails.... was just curious if you guys had any good ideas....

Thanks!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Best paint for dirtbike parts? PlastiDip?

Post by Postigo »

Hi, I been using duplicolor engine enamel as a cheap alternative with good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I have buddies who have used plasti dip on their road bike fairings and it held up well with enough coats, but like you said they only go on pavement. Knew one guy who took his CR250 forks in and had them anodized red, looked cool as hell but was pretty pricey from what I remember. Powder coating holds up well, but in my area all the powder coat places are running like 5-6 weeks on projects, too long for me to wait.
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

For quick, durable rattle can, engine enamel, wheel paint, or caliper paint.

I've found Plastikote wheel paint to be extremely chip and scratch resistant. Not Plasti Dip, but Plastikote.

Sent via morse code
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Just so your guy know I powdercoat on the weekends. If you can fit it in your house oven I can do it and @ just about rattlecan prices (shipping included). Glad to help out fellow riders. :grin:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

s10gto wrote:Just so your guy know I powdercoat on the weekends. If you can fit it in your house oven I can do it and @ just about rattlecan prices (shipping included). Glad to help out fellow riders. :grin:
Where are you located? Will a swing arm fit in your oven? :mrgreen:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

I'm in Mass. For a swinarm I would need to do it @ the machine shop I work nights at. I can do it. I will just need a few more day as the oven is busy with engine cleaning. I ship from my first job so return shipping is no problem. $ is figured by color and shipping weight. Thanks
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

s10, you are awesome just to offer this service :bravo:
I am interested in having my swing arm done up in a "steel" color silver...not sure what it's called though, pretty close to the stock color though. The thing is pretty ugly right now and polishing it up isn't the look that I like, so I figure painting it, but if I can "coat" it for something close to paint, that's what I want to do.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Well if i take my bearings out and degrease it all, how much to do the clamps in gloss black (not including shipping). Also, do u have colors close to honda red and kawi green?
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Post by Mayor Brap Brap »

Nothing beats powdercoating. The next best option is a ceramic rattle can like VHT Rollbar and Chassis or stuff from Eastwood.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Tyl3r wrote:Well if i take my bearings out and degrease it all, how much to do the clamps in gloss black (not including shipping). Also, do u have colors close to honda red and kawi green?
Without shipping $25. I have a nice Mirror Black (super glossy). I believe I can get Kawi green and maybe honda red too.

I use Eastwood powders. Feel free to check them out. I have most and can get if I don't.

http://www.eastwood.com/paints/hotcoat- ... ating.html
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

6 Riders wrote:s10, you are awesome just to offer this service :bravo:
I am interested in having my swing arm done up in a "steel" color silver...not sure what it's called though, pretty close to the stock color though. The thing is pretty ugly right now and polishing it up isn't the look that I like, so I figure painting it, but if I can "coat" it for something close to paint, that's what I want to do.
Thank you! Always glad to help. Check out the link above. Tons of colors.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Finally get to boast about a oven I bought.

Powder coating for the most part is very easy. Most of the work is prep work. Eastwood has multiple setups that most can do in their garage. I picked up their small set and complimentary colors. They have kawi green. However to get a good workflow and less problems get fresh powder. Couple of the colors didnt work so well. Black and kawi green red and others worked very well. Possible old or moisture not sure.

Thought about picking up two ovens and hinging them together to create a larger shop oven to do the frame.

Problem with getting larger parts done is waiting for the shop getting to you.

JUST REMEMBER IF YOU PICK UP AN OVEN TO START POWDER COATING NEVER COOK FOOD OUT OF IT AGAIN!

As for plastidip. For the cost of a kit to do a complete bike your at almost the same price for new plastics. I would do it for older unavailable plastics or if you want to preserve a new set perhaps.

I plastidipped a car for a friend and it turned out great. Didnt mask anything just trimmed it off. You let it sit in the sun it will become very durable but when fresh yea you could drive it down the road and possible have an edge start. When it cures in the nice hot sun it becomes stronger imo. Youd figure road chips and bugs flying into it would make some marks but I never seen any really. He hit a bird with the car in the front and you could only tell by the lower half stuck in the grill.

Maybe in the future plastidip might become cheaper and make it a option.

Food for thought, bikes looking good btw.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.