KLX to KDX fork swap completed

Got questions? We got answers....
vlxk98

Post by vlxk98 »

I just finished up the fork swap, 98 KLX 300 forks to my 95 200.

It could not be easier. The only question I had was concerning fork guards. I ended up searching this forum and others to see what options I could find. I went with the UFO #116332 (KA03704-280) because they come with the guides.

The guards are pretty close to what I needed, the only thing I did was elongate the inside hole on the right guard to move it over for more coverage of the inside portion of the fork tube, and add a hole to both guards on the outside for stability. I didn't use any of the little metal spacers on the attaching bolts except for the RH outside bolt.

The guides are just a bit too large for the KLX forks so for now about three wraps of silver racer tape took care of that.

The front brake line loses the metal clamp from the KDX fork and now just kind of hangs around in the guide. I wish there was a better way to secure the line, but it must be Ok, I think the OE Kawasaki KX guides for those years (96-02) was the same.

I replaced the seals and wipers with MSR brand from my local shop, the bushings looked pretty good. I cheaped out on the fluid and went with ATF at 100mm from the top of the tube. Just pushing the bike around in my garage it sure seems stiff! I think some of the stiffness may be from the new seals/wipers though. (Stock springs as far as I can tell).

It's too nasty to ride right now here in SWMO, as soon as I can get a test ride I'll report back.

I appreciate all the posts in the Fork Conversion section and the time you guys have taken to give those of us who are looking to make our bikes better. :grin:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KLX to KDX fork swap completed

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the report.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
elusive
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: KLX to KDX fork swap completed

Post by elusive »

I just finished the klx swap also :cool: . Very easy job. I went with kx450f guards, but I i think there are probably other options available that would fit a bit better. I still have to install the guide for the odometer cable.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I wish someone would've done a weight comparison between the sets of forks including axles and triple clamps. I saw a -5 lbs difference favoring the Klx forks, but it would be nice to affirm it or not. As to guards, I used 03 kx125 guards which have a channel on the back that the stock Klx fork guides can use with a small amount of modding.id still prefer a stock Klx set, but they are as rare to find as Bigfoot apparently.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Vlxk98, can u post a pic of your mounting solution? Just for curiousity sake.
2002 KDX 200