KDX clutch

Got questions? We got answers....
ArkAngel

KDX clutch

Post by ArkAngel »

Hey guys,

im hoping that someone can help me with this. but i have a KDX 250 that im trying to Finnish restoring now.. its a 1991.
But im just trying to figure something out with the clutch plates.. when i take a look at Kawasaki website it says that there must be 8 fiber plates and 7 clutch plates.
now i seem to have 8 of each and 2 fiber plates have been put together without a friction plate in between.

Can anyone shed some light on this? why someone would do this? is it maybe because the plates are getting warn and this is a quick fix?
Does anyone know what the thinness of the plates must be? maybe i can just measure them and see if they are wearing out?

Im also looking at the Wiseco clutch plates if i need to replace.. is this a good option?

Thanks
KDX 200
KDX 250
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KDX clutch

Post by SS109 »

There is no legitimate reason that I know of to remove a plate or friction. If one goes bad then you should replace it with a new one if not all new ones. BTW, plates are steel and frictions are fiber. The friction disc minimum thickness is 2.7mm and steel plate minimum thickness is 1.3mm.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: KDX clutch

Post by bufftester »

Sounds like someone put it together wrong or with the wrong plates, or both. Never used the Wiseco plates, EBCs have always worked well for me.