How much does an h series weigh?

Got questions? We got answers....
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Does anyone have a reliable number for how much a h series kdx weighs dry/ with fuel? I'm starting a weight reduction project and I'd like to have some primary data to base my numbers on.ill weigh parts individually upon install. I have aluminum bars(weight saving unknown) usd klx forks ( 3-5 pound savings according to my scale) mx rear fender( unknown saving) . I'm installing an fmf pipe next which I know has to drop a couple lbs over stock, and I already have an fmf silencer that saved an unknown amount. My goal is 10-12 pounds of weight removal if I can swing it. I'm bored, what can I say lol. Any suggestions from you guys? No high dollar aluminum bolts or titanium bolts, if you don't mind lol.
2002 KDX 200
kdx2oo

Post by kdx2oo »

What year and how big is it ?
Living the good life :)
jerry malbeck

Re: How much does an h series weigh?

Post by jerry malbeck »

Curb weight: 253.5 lbs. Dry weight: 222.7 lbs.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Wow, that's heavy lol. It's an 02 200 by the way.
2002 KDX 200
jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

My 220 weighs in at 242 with a half tank of gas ready to ride. Bike stuff: mx rear fender, kx front number plate, kx125 USD forks, wer steering stabilizer, fmf gnarly with metal pipe guard, fmf turbine core 2, New tires with heavy duty tubes (120/80-18 rear), pro taper 1 1/8 bars and enduro engineering bark busters, works frame guards and radiator braces. I'm afraid they are just kinda porkers. I wouldn't take off any of the above stuff just for a couple pounds either. They may be a little hefty but man are they indestructible! In reality they aren't any heavier than newer bikes either. I'd bet a new ktm 300 weighs almost the same with the same add ons, fluids and a half tank o gas.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I know the stock pipe weighs a ton! There's not a whole lot of excess weight to be shed I'm afraid. Things like tires can vary by a few pounds depending on brand and size. I think a new pipe is about the final piece I can save weight on. I'd estimate I've shed about 7-8 pounds from how it used to weigh.
2002 KDX 200
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Other than the stock exhaust you're not going to shed a lot of weight off the KDX. Be easier to shed 20 pounds off our own frames :grin:
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I'm down 17 pounds myself. I'm attacking it at both ends, both me and the bike. Even if I lose 20 more pounds, the bike will still feel heavy lol. I'm keeping a realistic goal if 10 -12 pounds of shaved weight off the kdx. I think I'm at 7 or 8 right now. It ain't gonna change a lot, but 10 lbs is 10 lbs. a power to weight increase through motor work comes next. If 3 or 4 more hp or more can be found it'll help as well. I love experimentin'.
2002 KDX 200
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

I don't recall the exact number, but swapping stock exhaust for full pro circuit was a hair over 7 lbs lost.

That said, most off road or trail bikes end up heavier than people think. We had a thread on a YZ forum, and many trail ready bikes were 230-245 lbs. My aluminum frame YZ tipped in at 236 with no fuel, thanks to skid plate, spark arrestor, bark busters, radiator braces, UHD tubes, etc.

Sent via morse code
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Thanks for the link rbates. I tried to find it again before I posted, but didn't see it. If another pipe saves at least 4 pounds then I'm right at 12 pounds less weight. Not a game changer, but some mx teams spend thousands on exotic metals for a pound or two less weight.
2002 KDX 200
Yugmoto

Post by Yugmoto »

I know this isn't the hybrid section but I recently pulled my 03 kdx200 and 2000 kx125 apart to start my hybrid build. The OCD kicked in and I started weighing everything. The stock kdx with a skid plate was right at 235 w/o fuel, the kx was 194. The kdx was about what my 04 husky wr250 weighed. The kdx engine is 7lbs heavier than the kx, both without oil or coolant. How accurate is my scale? Not sure, but I seem to be close to what others have posted. I'm hoping to save a significant amount of lbs in building a nice hybrid singletracker. However, none of that will change the fact that I am 6'6" and about 230lbs. Might have to do some mods for a little more power. It'll still be nice to have a bike that is lighter than me...
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

That's great info! I'm planning to go aluminum for as many non-stressed bolts as I can to shave a little weight as well. At $1 per bolt, I figure I'll be at about $75 total plus maybe a pound of weight depending on how many I can swap. Lightening holes in washers as well when I can find time to borrow a drill press. Again, I'm not going to spend too much, and this is purely a fun exercise with absolutely no purpose other than to try and see how much I can shed. I'm taking 10-12 mm off my silencer as well, for a little better throttle response and that should shave off a gram or two lol. Seriously though, I'm not stupid enough to worry about grams. I remember in the late 80's the idiotic trend in the mx mags off tilling a few small holes in the brake/clutch levers for "lighter weight". Even as a 12 year old idiot I though that was stupid as hell. It's like getting a haircut to help lose weight lol.
2002 KDX 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Actionman wrote: It's like getting a haircut to help lose weight lol.
Dude! That will work. Thanks for the idea. :mrgreen:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Jason wrote:
Actionman wrote: It's like getting a haircut to help lose weight lol.
Dude! That will work. Thanks for the idea. :mrgreen:
Don't forget to poop also! That'll shave a few ounces as well. Plus, clip your toenails and use a facial scrubber to get rid of those precious grams of dead skin. Team Honda swears by it. It was the final piece of the puzzle in Stanton's title run in 1991! :)
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I ordered a new rear tire because my already almost new tire was damaged by a friend while riding. My current damaged tire was a kenda teak master 2 110/100-18. The new tire was a 100/100-18 ( I accidentally ordered the smaller size and didn't realize it til it came in). Anyway, the smaller tire is almost 4 pounds lighter, by my scale. That means I've shed over 10 pounds already. A new pipe should save another 4 pounds, so I'm already getting some weight off it. Should restore a little pep as well. The old tire may have been heavier than stock anyway though, so it's kinda a wash as to stock weight. Still, it's less weight lol.
2002 KDX 200
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

Actionman wrote:I ordered a new rear tire because my already almost new tire was damaged by a friend while riding. My current damaged tire was a kenda teak master 2 110/100-18. The new tire was a 100/100-18 ( I accidentally ordered the smaller size and didn't realize it til it came in). Anyway, the smaller tire is almost 4 pounds lighter, by my scale. That means I've shed over 10 pounds already. A new pipe should save another 4 pounds, so I'm already getting some weight off it. Should restore a little pep as well. The old tire may have been heavier than stock anyway though, so it's kinda a wash as to stock weight. Still, it's less weight lol.
I think your scale might be a bit off. The TrakMaster isn't that heavy of a tire, and droping 4 lbs from it means the new tire must be as light ir lighter than most front tires. Also, steel to aluminum bars shouldn't be much more than 1 lb saved, definitely not 3-5 lbs.stock bars probably don't weigh 5 lbs on their own.

Sent via morse code
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

adam728 wrote:
Actionman wrote:I ordered a new rear tire because my already almost new tire was damaged by a friend while riding. My current damaged tire was a kenda teak master 2 110/100-18. The new tire was a 100/100-18 ( I accidentally ordered the smaller size and didn't realize it til it came in). Anyway, the smaller tire is almost 4 pounds lighter, by my scale. That means I've shed over 10 pounds already. A new pipe should save another 4 pounds, so I'm already getting some weight off it. Should restore a little pep as well. The old tire may have been heavier than stock anyway though, so it's kinda a wash as to stock weight. Still, it's less weight lol.
I think your scale might be a bit off. The TrakMaster isn't that heavy of a tire, and droping 4 lbs from it means the new tire must be as light ir lighter than most front tires. Also, steel to aluminum bars shouldn't be much more than 1 lb saved, definitely not 3-5 lbs.stock bars probably don't weigh 5 lbs on their own.

Sent via morse code
i think the aluminum bar might be a quarter of the stock bar. The front usd forks are 3-5 lbs lighter. The new rear tire is (probably) 2 pounds lighter(it says 4 but I do err to the lower number cause my scales suck). I figure the fmf silencer drops a pound. Probably close to 8 lbs. I have access at my old job to a set of calibrated scientific scales and I'll eventually find out how light it all is. This new tire is noticibly lighter though. Edit: I moved the scales to a concrete floor and reweighed the tires- the new tire is 11 1/2 pound, the old one is 13 1/2 pounds. Two pounds less. Those weights seem light for a tire, but there it is. I'll probably be at 12 -15 pounds lighter when I'm done.
-Usd forks- the scales claim 5 pounds lighter but I'm going to say 3 1/2 to be fair
-silencer- I don't know stock weight, but I'll assume a 1 pound saving with my fmf
-rear tire- 2 pounds less
-handlebars- lighter but probably not noticible
Lastly a new pipe should knock off say 3 pounds. That's probably as much as I can lose.
2002 KDX 200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I wouldn't be surprised if the aluminum bars weight the same or more then stock. Aluminum is lighter then steel but as you will see the steel bars are much thinner then the aluminum bars.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

adam728 wrote:I don't recall the exact number, but swapping stock exhaust for full pro circuit was a hair over 7 lbs lost.

That said, most off road or trail bikes end up heavier than people think. We had a thread on a YZ forum, and many trail ready bikes were 230-245 lbs. My aluminum frame YZ tipped in at 236 with no fuel, thanks to skid plate, spark arrestor, bark busters, radiator braces, UHD tubes, etc.

Sent via morse code
Yep. I've weighed my bikes over the years and the KDX is still comparable to the new bikes, weight-wise. My H model KDX's with 2 gals gas, aftermarket pipe and exhaust, usd forks, hand guards, steering dampers, weighed in at about 240 lbs each.

What about 4 strokes? Oink. My Husqvarna TE310 weighed in at 275 lbs with 2 gals gas, my WR250R (dual sport) with 2 gals gas weighed in a a whopping 315 lbs!

I'm sorry, but those KDX's are plenty light and carry the weight low....me likey.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.