How much does an h series weigh?

Got questions? We got answers....
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I used to he fine with the kdx weight, but I had a 1990 rm125 I bought and sold a few months ago that felt so light now my kdx feels like a back breaker. I ruined myself and sold the rm regrettably. Now I'm on a fruitless quest to drop some kdx poundage.
2002 KDX 200
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How much does an h series weigh?

Post by Goofaroo »

I used to he fine with the kdx weight, but I had a 1990 rm125 I bought and sold a few months ago that felt so light now my kdx feels like a back breaker. I ruined myself and sold the rm regrettably. Now I'm on a fruitless quest to drop some kdx poundage.
After riding my XR the KDX feels like a minibike. What are you trying to do with it? Are you aware that a RM is intended as a motocross bike and the KDX is set up for off road? The KDX is a fantastic bike in tight and technical trail riding and has the chops to blaze past an RM when the speeds get higher but if you are riding yours primarily for moto you could definitely turn faster laps on the RM.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Goofaroo wrote:
After riding my XR the KDX feels like a minibike. What are you trying to do with it? Are you aware that a RM is intended as a motocross bike and the KDX is set up for off road? The KDX is a fantastic bike in tight and technical trail riding and has the chops to blaze past an RM when the speeds get higher but if you are riding yours primarily for moto you could definitely turn faster laps on the RM.
A few mints ago I bought a garage kept 1990 rm125 and 1989 rm80 for $120 total. Both had about 10 hours original on the and the 125 looked brand new. I stupidly sold them both a couple months ago for a rather large profit. I wish to god I'd kept the 125 now. Anyway, I just want to drop a few pounds off the kdx for no reason other than to see if I can- nothing else :) I know for a fact 12 pounds ain't going to be noticible, but I want to drop it anyway. I won't be motocrossing it anytime soon seeing as I'm 41 with5 back surgeries lol. I can barely trail ride as it is; one good double jump and my spine would fold like a rollaway bed. It's just a project out of boredom.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Here's that rm by the way:I want to cry now when I look at it!
2002 KDX 200
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Ugh, if we all only had big enough garages! Painful, but cash in hand is sometime hard to turn down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Helluva deal for $120. Have fun with the weight loss project. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Goofaroo wrote:Helluva deal for $120. Have fun with the weight loss project. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.
Actually, that bike was $100, the 1989 rm80 was $80 lol. Sold that 125 for $850 and the 80 for $450. I used a lot of it to buy new kdx parts and the old lady got the rest. I just didn't have storage room. That 125 felt as light as a bicycle, but it had NOOOO low end power at all. I was gonna sell the kdx and trail ride the rm, but I found out that a lot of tranny parts were no longer available new, and I know suzuki are hard on transmissions over time. I won't even talk about the yz426 I bought for $100 a month ago and sold for $500 a week later. Fast bike, but no maintenance ever performed on it and a giant hole in the never-cleaned air filter made me unload it quick. The buyer spent about $350 on it fixing the looks up but never addressed the soon to be expired engine at all. Just new plastic, and a monster sticker kit. Lol.
2002 KDX 200
MCKDX220

Post by MCKDX220 »

I did a similar weight reduction to my old KLX 331, probably knocked off about 7 lbs. To my pleasant surprise, noticed that a stock KDX 220 with PC Pipe and stinger was noticeably easier to pick up after a get off, (hey it happens) and heck of lot easier to restart. There is a similar thread on TT about the 86 - 91 XR 200 models (taller suspension), which I have, an 87 (fun bike). My goal on that one is 210 lbs and running a headlight. That is my camping bike and back up bike, my eldest son will grow into.

The goal is to reduce the weight up high and work your way down, due to the center of gravity. Before I went back to the 2s side, I had an 05 YZ250F, which was an awesome bike, but due to be it being so tall due to the suspension I did not feel any weight savings at all. With it being approximately 220 lbs, it felt 20lbs heavier than the XR 200 although their weights are very similar, i.e, lower center of gravity. I would choose the KDX over the YZ250F any day of the week and twice on Sunday and this coming from a 4s Guy.

Also my KTM 520 E/XC has a very neutral and light feeling, until you have to pick it up, then you thank the good Lord you have an Estart and Rekluse auto clutch. And there virtually no weight savings to be had on that bike, it is pretty much as good as you can get from a weight savings stand point. Just have to deal with all the horsepower and torque, which is demanding on it's own.

Please keep posting on your results, my interest is peaked.

Michael
Last edited by MCKDX220 on 11:22 am Jan 20 2014, edited 1 time in total.
87 KDX200 / 02 KTM 520 EX/C / 87 XR 200 / 90 XR 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

A frame-off rebuild/cleaning is coming soon, and ill use a set of calibrated scales for weight testing. I re-weighed some parts today because I installed new plastic and results from my digital scales are as follows:
1. Klx 300 forks/axle/spacers= 4 pounds lighter than kdx.
2. 100/100-18 kenda rear tire= 2 pounds lighter than 110/100-18 tire
3. Removal of light, rectifier, switch, etc= 2 pounds roughly
8 lbs so far! Can I feel it? Nope. But it's gone lol. If a new pipe saves 3 pounds that's a bonus. Not bad for no big expenditure.
2002 KDX 200
MCKDX220

Post by MCKDX220 »

Actionman,

Are you sure about the 4 lbs on the KLX forks, cause it is a very similar design internally ?

If so, I wonder if the underhang the KDX might be the culprit and the rubber mounts on top, which the KLX front end does not have.

The rest all sound about right and item #3 was your best weight removal, given it is closest to the top.

It would have been nice if Kawasaki put an aluminum subframe on the KDX and the KLX.

BTW, what does the stock expansion chamber and spark arrestor weigh individually ?

Michael

:pop:
Last edited by MCKDX220 on 11:19 am Jan 20 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

[quote="MCKDX220"]Actionman,

Are you sure about the 4 lbs on the KLX forks, cause it is a very similar design internally ?

If so, I wonder if the underhang the KDX has might be the culprit and the rubber mounts on top, which the KLX front end does not have.

The rest all sound about right and item #3 was your best weight removal, given it is closest to the top.

It would have been nice if Kawasaki put an aluminum subframe on the KDX and the KLX.

BTW, what does the stock expansion chamber and spark arrestor weigh individually ?

Michael
Believe it or not, the Klx fork/ axle/pinch bolts/bar mounts was almost 5 pounds lighter, but I said 4 to be on the safe side. That's 4 lbs lighter WITHOUT the kdx axle being included in the kdx weight. Honestly, until I get the parts on the calibrated scales these need to be treated as estimates. I do use the same scales to weigh my ebay items, and it's slways been spot on the money though. It's an old scale though, so I think 3 1/2 pounds is probably more like it to be honest. 5 pounds would be a whole lot of difference. I have a fmf silencer, but I don't know how much weight it saves over stock. I'd love to have a stock silencers weight to compare though. Concerning the forks, maybe they are thinner walled? I'm not sure why the big discrepancy. I'm chasing down aluminum bolts and washers to replace non-stressed bolts and adding a pipe then that's probably all I can do for it.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Here it is 9 pounds lighter lol. The front forks weighed 16 pounds opposed to the stock kdx forks at almost 20 pounds. Trust me, I removed and reweighed them twice lol. While the actual weight may not be spot on, they were 4 pounds lighter regardless. The headlight, wires and switch, assorted bolts and mounts and other small parts ended up being 3.0 pounds total. Finally the new tire I have to mount is 2 odd pounds lighter. Until I get a pipe she's finished lol.
2002 KDX 200
MCKDX220

Post by MCKDX220 »

Well done Actionman,

Thanks for the data, I suspect you will drop 2 to 3 extra lbs in weight by changing to an aftermarket pipe.

I also suspect if the frame protectors and that side pipe protector are removed, there is a ~ 1lb, and fabricating an aluminum subframe another 3 lbs.

Michael
Last edited by MCKDX220 on 04:17 pm Jan 20 2014, edited 1 time in total.
robkdx

Post by robkdx »

I saved a LB on changing to a KX125 kick starter, I took off the side stand which is hopeless and heavy and Im going to use some KX125 Dog bones drilled down to KDX size as they are alloy. Also thinking about getting a steerer tube turned up for the forks out of alloy.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

MCKDX220 wrote:Well dione Actionman,

Thanks for the data, I suspect you will drop 2 to 3 extra lbs in weight by changing to an aftermarket pipe.

I also suspect if the frame protectors and that side pipe protector are removed, there is a ~ 1lb, and fabricating an aluminum subframe another 3 lbs.

Michael
Those protectors were negligible as to weight. I traded the kdx to an rm250 the other day, so I ended up with a heavier bike after all that work lol.
2002 KDX 200
robkdx

Post by robkdx »

Im going to see if the KX foot brake lever will fit also as its alloy.

Reason for me doing all this is I picked up a 00 KX125 for the forks. Im now looking at its alloy subframe with intrest. i was amazed at how much lighter the 125 is.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

The kdx was just shy of 12 pounds lighter when it left my house. It was noticible a little but the new pipe would put me above 15 pounds lighter but I never got a chance to install it. The rm has its weight a lot lower so if feels a lot lighter but the feel close to the same when I'm lifting them on the stand lol.
2002 KDX 200
MCKDX220

Post by MCKDX220 »

So Actionman,

You let 'er go ???

Michael
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

MCKDX220 wrote:So Actionman,

You let 'er go ???

Michael
Yep. Traded to a 97 rm250 which ended up being an awesome, well maintained home run. Not as good if a trail bike tho. That kdx was pure torquey pull from zero rpm to redline; this rm is moderate low end, hard midrange hit, rocket ship top end- with no flywheel heft to be found. Great suspension, awesome brakes, and looks badass lol. Image
2002 KDX 200
MCKDX220

Post by MCKDX220 »

Looks like it is has the 49mm showa conventionals on the front, supposed to be the best conventionals made.

I believe they were used on all the DRZ 400's as well.

Good Luck with 'er !!!

Michael