what order for the water pump seal?

Got questions? We got answers....
carts69
Supporting Member

what order for the water pump seal?

Post by carts69 »

Just purchased a new water pump seal kit, can anyone advise on the order that the pieces go onto the shaft & which way around? from what I have found out is.... 1st = Bearing open end goes on first, 2nd = Seal with a white plastic end on one side (not sure what way around it goes) 3rd = metal seal with the spring inside, finally the impeller which I believe should have an o ring on the back of it, mine has not!
Took mine apart a while ago because it had a slight leak & hence..can't remember how it goes back on, looked at the cyclepedia manual but the pieces are not shown, also the Kawasaki parts diagrams don't really show enough info to see what way around things go!
KDX 220 (1999) if anyone of you guys have a pic of the layout I would be pleased to see it?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: what order for the water pump seal?

Post by 6 Riders »

I know how you feel, I had to order a second kit because I could remember how it went back together!
I show the shaft/gear drive, bearing, oil seal, 2 piece mechanical seal, impeller.
Now the part that I screwed up, isn't in the manual, it is the metal "cup" in the case side (If I remember correctly) it MUST go in, in the right order or you will be buying a new kit.
Book says "Press oil seal into the hole from the inside of the right engine cover w/bearing driver so that the spring side of the seal is toward the inside cover" Use High temp grease to the seal lips and oil to the outer surface of the seal,use a bearing driver. Press the seal in until even with the step.

Next is the bearing w/the seal side facing the oil seal until it bottoms.

Press mechanical seal into the hole w/ bearing driver until the flange touches the step.

Install water pump shaft from inside the cover, clean, then apply coolant to the sliding surface.

Apply coolant to the surface of the rubber seal and sealing seat, then press the rubber and sealing seat into the impeller by hand until seat bottoms.

There is an O-ring that goes inside the impeller also.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

6 Riders wrote:I know how you feel, I had to order a second kit because I could remember how it went back together!
I show the shaft/gear drive, bearing, oil seal, 2 piece mechanical seal, impeller.
Now the part that I screwed up, isn't in the manual, it is the metal "cup" in the case side (If I remember correctly) it MUST go in, in the right order or you will be buying a new kit.
Book says "Press oil seal into the hole from the inside of the right engine cover w/bearing driver so that the spring side of the seal is toward the inside cover" Use High temp grease to the seal lips and oil to the outer surface of the seal,use a bearing driver. Press the seal in until even with the step.

Next is the bearing w/the seal side facing the oil seal until it bottoms.

Press mechanical seal into the hole w/ bearing driver until the flange touches the step.

Install water pump shaft from inside the cover, clean, then apply coolant to the sliding surface.

Apply coolant to the surface of the rubber seal and sealing seat, then press the rubber and sealing seat into the impeller by hand until seat bottoms.

There is an O-ring that goes inside the impeller also.
+1 on your instructions, be very careful during the carbon side seal installation because is very fragile. Here is a photo IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/14/ju3u9yna.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

The kit I purchased is a 2 piece, x1 metal cup seal & x1 rubber seal (with white plastic one side) I know the new bearing im gonna purchase needs tapping in from inside the cover (sealed end first) correct?? my question is where does the rubber seal with white side go & which way around?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

that part goes inside the impeller. The white part closest to the motor, or white side out, or that's what you should see when it's installed. :supz:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Thanks 6 Riders, now that's the info I wanted! :grin: