Water pump seal question

Got questions? We got answers....
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Water pump seal question

Post by Goofaroo »

I recently bought a very nice 92 model KDX200 for my son in law. It had been sitting for a long time so I went through the bike and got it ready to ride and it ran great both days regardless of his numerous crashes. Anyway, he was complaining that it was hard to find neutral so tonight while I finally had a chance to survey the crash danage (bent subframe, broken headlight bucket,etc. lol), I noticed that the oil was milky.

I did a bit of research on the site and found that there is possibly an upgrade for the E model and that possibly I should use two seals instead of one as on the H models. Is that correct? Is there a better fix than just replacing the original seal? I need to order parts so any tips would be appreciated.

Also, the antifreeze looks good in the radiator but I'm guessing it will look polluted when I drain the system. Any brilliant ideas for cleaning out the tranny and the cooling system? I've owned a few water cooled two stroke dirt bikes but this problem is a first for me.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Water pump seal question

Post by 6 Riders »

The anti freeze should be fine, but you'll have to drain it to do the seal(s).
Buy a seal set for the 94 KDX, it will have 2 seals as you mentioned. Since the bike has been sitting, expect to replace the gaskets too, I also recommend replacing the clutch release shaft seal as it will leak water (from the trails) into the oil as well. Last time I did mine I bought a kit that had all the seals for the bike in one box, for around $30.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Thanks for the fast response. I have been making my list and checking it twice. I had planned to order a seal kit because the clutch arm seal was leaking but unfortunately I don't think that would account for how much my oil seems to be poluted. The oil seal kit in the link you sent seems like a great deal but it is a stock photo and gives no description other than " does not include valve seals" lol. Can I assume it has the clutch arm, KIPS, kick shaft, shift shaft, and countershaft seals? Then I still need to order the o-rings for the countershaft and the seals and gasket for the water pump?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

let me check..........
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I just used the 2 water pump seals, I have 8 seals left over, so by my count, it's every seal needed for the bike. Mine is actually the Moose kit from TT store, but the one above should be the same.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Thanks. I'll order the seal kit, the o-rings for the countershaft, the clutch cover gaskets, and the water pump gasket. Hopefully that will keep all the fluids where they belong.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

You don't take the clutch cover off, you take the side cover off. You will need (since your bike has been sitting); water pump gasket, side cover gasket, Water pump seals, if you buy the seal kit, use as many as you can while the cover is off (KiPs, kick started & clutch shaft come to mind), remember that the kips control arm nut is LEFT hand threaded.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I'm planning to replace all of the seals and hopefully be done with it for a while other than whatever crash damage he inflicts on it. In his defense, the trails I took him on are certainly a bit challenging for a new rider and once we got in there I realized I had made a mistake because of all the red clay mud. It was like riding on ice in some spots. He was getting fustrated and crashing a lot the first day but was ready to go back for more and only fell off a few times the next day. I think after a couple of more rides he'll be doing pretty well and I can tidy this bike up and it should give him many years of service. He loves the bike and is already hooked on woods riding so this should be a great bike for him. I had the shock serviced and revalved and I serviced the forks, the suspension linkage, the steering head, and gave the entire bike a thorough going over and it is (was) in very nice condition. It went through hell and back and ran great so I was very pleased. I expected a few minor issues to pop up and so far the seals are the only problem.

By the way, the 87 model that I completely rebuilt for my son was right there on the trail with us the entire time and I haven't touched that bike since I finished it. My son is getting much quicker and his confidence is growing with each ride and the bike has been the perfect tool for him. It's a little scary as a parent but it's more fun as his riding buddy now that he's getting faster.