question for guys that have done kx fork conversion ( ride h

Got questions? We got answers....
jerry malbeck

Post by jerry malbeck »

Installed 02 kx front end on my kdx , just wondering what your forks measure above the top tripple , mine are @ 5/8 inch to the top of the tube to the top of the clamp , cant decide if im in the BALL PARK or not . Appreciate any info .
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: question for guys that have done kx fork conversion ( ri

Post by KarlP »

5/8" might be a bit much, but I think in the ballpark
I would set the rear sag "by the book", say race sag at ~1/3 of travel or 110 mm, I believe.
The front height probably won't be right and you'll likely need to move the forks up or down in the triple clamps until the front/rear attitude feels right. An 1/8" move makes a big difference and can be felt right away.
I usually take the bike out to a loop of typical trail that takes 3-4 minutes to run and make fine adjustments to the rear sag from there.
You'll know when you hit the sweet spot, all of a sudden it will just feel on the money. Be carefull because a small change in front fork height or rear sag makes a big difference.
There is probably more information in the fork conversion section.

Have fun
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

My forks are about 11/16" (or about 18mm) up in the clamps if I remember correctly. Check out my gallery and look in the KX fork conversion sub album. I think I had a couple pics showing the factory original fork measurement and the installed KX measurement.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

Mine are 7/16" from top of upper tripple to top of fork. Rear sag is set at a normal setting ( I have a racetech spring to match my weight). Running a 120/90-18 (110 basic height). Bike works awesome, no real headshake at speed and still has good slow speed turn in. I had them slid up further in the tripples probly closer to your measurement before and it was ok, but handles much better with this current set up.