KDX220SR question

Got questions? We got answers....
Pike

KDX220SR question

Post by Pike »

I've been seriously considering buying a KDX 220, I've got an offer for a nice one pretty cheap from my friend who is a good mechanic.

It's a Japanese import (1993 I believe), Which I think I'm right in saying they are called a KDX 220 SR?

It had a smaller carb, so he bought a UK/US spec carb and fabricated a custom carb manifold, says it runs much better than it did before.

I'm wanting to fit a Wiseco piston, and because of it's age I can't find any new parts for it on the internet at all (even eBay)

Can anyone tell me if a Wiseco piston from 1998-2006 will fit, and what else is interchangeable between years & models?

As far as I know the KDX 220 hardly changed at all over it's life time. Any help is greatly appreciated.
cornishwrecker220

KDX220SR question

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

There are quite a few differences between the 220sr & the full enduro spec 220....they are down on power but more road friendly..more of a `trail` bike than enduro....yes you can modify them for more power but its not that straight forward....personally I would steer clear of the SR & just buy the enduro version.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

KDX220SR question

Post by pumpguy »

On the other hand, if it were me, I'd go for the 220 SR. First off, its totally road legal with a multi=coil stator so you wouldn't have the hassle of needing a higher output lighting circuit, and you would have the stop light etc. already fitted. Also, you shouldn't have any problems with getting it titled as a road legal machine. The auto-lube feature might be nice too.

You can check the various on-liine parts fiches to compare any parts differences, but I would suspect the main engine parts are inter-changeable, and if so, the only thing besides a forged piston that you would probably want is a larger carburetor. Even there, I would try it out first to see how it works for you.

Of course, this reflects my own preferences. I'm not a hare & hound type racer, but more interested in good overall reliability and tractable tight woods type performance.
Pike

Re: KDX220SR question

Post by Pike »

It has one of the bigger sized carbs with a custom manifold/inlet, he says that it has increased the top end and mid range incredibly, better throttle response too with no noticeable lost of bottom power.

He said the oil pump's weren't very reliable so it's been disabled, It's already road registered!
Pike

Post by Pike »

It's done 21,000KM (13,000 miles), surely it must have a Wiseco piston or the engine would have grenaded already?
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

KDX220SR question

Post by pumpguy »

It's better to be safe than sorry. If you pull the plug and use a light and mirror, you should be able to see markings on the piston's dome. A search of this site should show the different markings for oem and Wiseco or Wossner pistons.

I wouldn't take a chance on an oem 220 piston, no matter how long it's been in service.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

KDX220SR question

Post by Jaguar »

Here is my page about the KDX200SR: http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/SR.html
It may be of some use to you.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Pike

KDX220SR question

Post by Pike »

Ok, I could do with a quick reply here guys.

I had a go on it today and did 4km, went up a small trail and a bit on the road, really enjoyed it, it has the big bore carb so the bottom end was OK (Still nothing compared to a 4T), and top end was real good, I didn't crack the throttle open just opened up smoothly and felt the front get light on first and second gear, didn't go fast enough to try it in third.

I really enjoyed it, but my dilemma is that the trails are about 40 miles from my house, I've read on here of people getting less than 20 miles to a tank, if I'm even getting 40 miles to a tank I would be filling up 3 times in one day, using up 3/4 of a litre of 2 stroke oil. If that's the case It's really impractical for me, I do motorcycle mechanics at college one day a week which is 35 miles there and back, is a KDX220 in general going to be reliable enough to do that?

If I buy it I would be changing the piston for a Wiseco straight away, but how long would it be before I would have to change it again if I'm running OK oil at 40:1 and riding at low RPM most of the time? Would I ever be able to keep the wiseco in and just replace the rings?

It's done 15,000 miles, surely that can't be a stock piston in there?

I've only got 2 days to say if I want it before he sells it to someone else.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Well I have never heard of anyone getting only 20 miles on a tank unless they were having severe problems, or a giant hole inthe tank. I get 50+ on trails at racing speeds. You'll have to fuel up a bunch, but you'd have the same problem with a 4T bike and 2 gal tank.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I really enjoyed it, but my dilemma is that the trails are about 40 miles from my house, I've read on here of people getting less than 20 miles to a tank, if I'm even getting 40 miles to a tank I would be filling up 3 times in one day, using up 3/4 of a litre of 2 stroke oil. If that's the case It's really impractical for me, I do motorcycle mechanics at college one day a week which is 35 miles there and back, is a KDX220 in general going to be reliable enough to do that?
You haven't mentioned how much riding experience you have but I can tell you that 80 miles round trip just to get to the trails is a long haul on a dirt oriented bike. At the very least you will need to run some universal tread tires and probably raise the final drive ratio considerably to make this tolerable. I don't know what your financial situation is or how much you are planning to spend on the SR but I if your goal is to do some serious dirt riding I would consider buying a standard KDX and a cheap trailer or hitch hauler. Then pick up a cheap street bike or scooter for the ride to class once a week.

However, if you are determined to ride to the trails and to class once a week, I would look for a an older XRL, DR or KLR of a larger displacement than the KDX. You could find a good used KLR650, XR650L, or DR650 for well under $3,000 and ride to the trails in reasonable comfort. It would also give you the ability to run at highway speeds.

Everything is a trade-off but in your case it sounds like you will be doing many more street miles than you will trail miles. The KLR, XRL,and DR are all designed to be able to do everything but they won't do anything exceptionally well. Unfortunately, that is why you will eventually end up with several bikes but for your present situation, they would make a nice compromise and a good bike to keep around for when you decide to tackle the TAT.

Motorcycling is a sickness and it sounds you are about to become very ill. :wink: