Air Pressure?

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Air Pressure?

Post by Indawoods »

For some reason my front tire doesn't grip well, feels like it's flat... I'm thinking it is air pressure because it doesn't matter if I'm going 5 mph or 40mph it acts the same. It is a new M12 and I am running the standard 13psi. Do I need to up the pressure to get a firmer feel or am I off base here? :neutral:

I have never ran anymore than 13psi in any tire around here and if anything I have run lower.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

If you have used a M12 in the past with success and just now, started to have problems, then I suspect it's not the tire at all. Check wheel bearings and the rest of the front steering and suspension components. Are the forks riding in the t-clamps the same point? A front fork problem maybe?

For me, the M12 works better as it breaks in. O.K. when brand new, awesome until it wears down about 50%. Then it's time to toss.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

This is my first M12. Wheel bearings are new...no slop anywhere in the frontend......
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I run an S12 & 756 w/9 - 13psi. I like the soft terrain tires. I have a mixed terrain and prefer them over intermediate type tires. Like Ski said, check your forks or it may be the new tire. I noticed also that they grip better after break in,
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

BTW, that M12 is a directional tire. Is the arrow pointed the right direction? (Carvr's right, not your right. Right?) :lol:

I run 13 psi most times but it will run just as well down to 9psi. I KNOW it won't run worth crap at high pressures. My gauge failed and I didn't know it until Carvr loaned me his, then, like magic, my front end tracked correct again.

My M12 on my 220 holds so well, that I almost exclusively use the front brake. No washouts, it never lets loose. Try sliding up a little (meaning as far forward as you can) on the seat when cornering. My bike WILL wash out if I'm sitting mid seat or further back. That M12 really likes the pressure pushed down on it with a forward weighted rider when cornering.

Let me know if any of those tips help, and if you want to get rid of that tire, send it my way!!! :grin:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If I swap that tire out... it'll go on the $500 bike! :lol:

Nah... I ain't gave up on it yet. I will check all the things you mention and let you know what I found. Thanks!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

karbon_dunn

Post by karbon_dunn »

My S12 feels the same way. I usually run it at 11psi but have bumped it 13-14 with the same feel. This is the first year for this tire with about 80hrs on them now and it still feels like it is running over itself. Bearings were new this year and took them out to see if the grease had run out and re-torqued to specifed lbs, no difference

I went a little softer on the dampening on my front forks by a couple clicks and it still feels the same. I wasn't sure if it was just me so I had my buddy ride it. He said the same. He also has an S12 on the front running just about the same pressure (12psi) as I do. His bike doesn't feel like the tire running over itself but he has a 2003.

One of those things I'm just learning to deal with but haven't given up on it yet.
hoodoo

Post by hoodoo »

I have Dunlop 756 and I always run a lower air pressur of 9 or 10 psi front and rear.
If i go to 12 or more the handling becomes very unpredictable for me. I have friends who complain about the lousy handling of thier bike, I say drop the air pressure to 9 or 10 psi. The are shocked and convinced that a flat tire is next, but as soon as they drop the air pressure they are amazed at how much better the bike handles. They stop falling down so much.
Proper suspension settings( to tight is not usually good for the woods) and a lower air pressure works wonders for me.
Riding technique is crucial as well. I am forced to ride at Jones Creek near Camas/Washougal Washington as it is the closest place to ride for me, but certainly not my favorite place. If you can ride at Jones Creek at any pace you are doing well. For lack of a better term it is faily technical riding area. This area is rough and rocky, long uphill and downhill sections of dinnerplate size rocks. Mistakes here will hurt you.
The key to going fast downhill through rocks is to sit on the tank (just about) getting your weight over the front wheel and keep enough speed so the bike rides over the top of the rocks, not through the rocks. I use one finger on the front brake, apply frequently and quickly(on off on off) and keep the speed in the happy zone, blipping frequently and always look as far up the trail as possible as you pick the best line. Do not target fixate on hazards immeadatly in front of you, look far ahead. I dont use the rear brake at all unless I want to panic stop.
00 kdx 200, the usual mods
99 CR 80 -sons
04 TTR 125- wifes
ZZR 600- wifes
ZZR 1200- mine (crashed and gone)
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Thats the same riding style I use for the rocks also, HooDoo. With lower tire pressure you can run you forks a little stiffer if you like also. Works for me
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

9-10 psi front?

I'm not arguing with your choice...if it works for you that's fine with me!!

But....if I run less than 12 in the front..I'm coming back to the truck early to fix a flat!!

That and my front rim would soon look like by rear rim...all bent up!

9psi and lot'sa rocks? Only on uphills with the front-end in the air most of the time.

...imo and all that....

Cheers!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I've had the flats, but that occurence is rare. I keep the front as light as possible, plus the valve stems were screwed up and the kids threw my gauge in the Koi Ponds (Litt'l Bastards :rolleyes: )After checking w/dried gauge & Moose Tubes its about 11 - 13 at most. If theres lots of rain, then 9- 10 and pray the rocks did'nt bite too hard
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

John W Read Jr
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

DOn't be afraid to try 15+lbs. I ran the S12 on my 94 at 15, and it handled well.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Tried higher, did'nt like it. The rear 756 works and holds up well at lower PSI. The front S12 holds up well at lower PSI also., I don't have alot of hard terrian, lots of loose dirt, mud, some sand and lots of rocks in certain areas. Just my personal preference. CC fyi, I have the M12 rear and I found it to be a bit squirly for my taste. Works great in the rocks, but as soon as the ground loosened up, the rear was all over the place. I can't even imagine what the front would have been like. TTFN
Last edited by Green Hornet on 02:44 pm Oct 18 2005, edited 1 time in total.
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

John W Read Jr
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Inda: I want to read about it if you like the front higher than 13.

I'd like to hear the 'outcome' of the M12, too.

Ski's M12 worked well...so did m0rie's S12.

I'm thinking of trying one or the other next time.........

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Where he's riding the ground can get rock hard...It that where it feels flat?
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah... pretty much....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****