Happy Thanksgiving and a couple of questions

Got questions? We got answers....
vlxk98

Happy Thanksgiving and a couple of questions

Post by vlxk98 »

I hope eveyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

Couple of questions...on the left side frame, the tab with the nut tacked on it that the seat mount bolt goes through is stripped. I don't have access to a welder at this point. As a temporary fix I filled the hole with JB Weld Steel Stick and drilled and taped it. It held for a couple of rides and is again loose. Anyone else have this problem?

Next, I have a set of KLX forks that will grace the front of my 95 200 by the end of the year. I know they are not as desirable as KX forks but they fit my budget. I have searched this forum and others looking for the best fit option on fork guards. The search has left me more confused than when I started :sad: . I have seen where 94-95 KX UFO guards are close but it looks like they don't offer much in the way of side protection. Being plastic I know about anything can be modified to work, but can anyone give me a better idea of a newer style guard to use?

Lastly, apparently the KLX forks are pretty much KDX forks in USD configuration. If needed, would the shim stack mod be the same on the KLX forks as the KDX?

I really appreciate any input.
zepplin153

Re: Happy Thanksgiving and a couple of questions

Post by zepplin153 »

Regarding your seat nut. get a tap set and make new threads just a little bigger. buy a bolt to fit the new threads. any auto parts store, hardware store, etc. should have one.

Regarding guards, check out my post: http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=14972 i went through the search for the perfect guard. there really is only one answer... OEM. so at the end of the day I broke down and took a gamble and bought the KX UFO guards when they got in they were not a match. I had modified them. It took me maybe 15 min of work and presto they worked. I think its worth it because the UFOs are 1/2 the cost of OEM... plus OEM guards break easy. so if you have any kind of ingenuity at all you can make it work. Let me know if you have any questions i found some quick fixes to the problems you may run into.

Regarding modifying your forks. I have read that its not worth the trouble (multiple sources), and have concluded to leave them alone.
'98 KDX 200 (KLX300 Forks)
vlxk98

Post by vlxk98 »

I checked your post and that's what I am looking for. What model KX are the UFO guards for?
zepplin153

Post by zepplin153 »

They wont fit perfect. If you need some tips when they come in just email (zepplin153@aol.com) me or call/text me (six15) 815-six015. see the ebay listing below. its exactly what i got.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fork-Guards-Pla ... b0&vxp=mtr
'98 KDX 200 (KLX300 Forks)