Left Side Radiator Damage

Got questions? We got answers....
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Left Side Radiator Damage

Post by jafo »

Well in my last ride this year, I managed to destroy my Trailtech Computer and it's so called protective case. I also in the same crash messed up my left side radiator. It's not leaking and it crushed in the inside vertical row of fins right beside the long mounting bracket. It bent the lower bracket pretty good also. I went out today and took the radiator cover off and bent the lower bracket back into position and pulled the large middle bracket nack out and aligned correctly with the frame and radiator. When I did this it also pulled the fins back out to where they should be but the radiator is still bowed slightly. When I put the cover on, the lower corner is still pointing in alittle because of the bowing radiator. So I may be looking for a replacement. Will different yeras fit?

Jon.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I tore a radiator completely off a 00 YZ125, hoses and all. I took it to a radiator repair shop and 2 days later I got it back good as new, and I mean I TORE it off.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Gee...are you supposed to replace bent/smushed rads?

I should'a replaced both of mine long ago, then!!

Why worry about it? If they don't leak..and the damage isn't amazing (Look! My rad is the thickness of a postage stamp!!), why bother?

Besides...they cost a LOT!

You can pull those 'bends' out some. I haven't bothered with mine, but I've read of those that have. I'd rather leave it alone than try to move it BACK and THEN end up with a leak.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Both of the radiators on my 89 are bowed in quite a bit. They don't leak and so i've never bothered replacing them. They don't seem to make the bike overheat so I'm not worrying about them.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Forgot to add it only cost me $85AU. And I mean it came back looking brand new.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I rather like mine looking more like a banana! When they leak, it's time to fix them. Until then, it's just cosmetic. :mrgreen:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

If you need to have it repaired, Myler's Radiator Repair does OUTSTANDING work for cheap, and he has a quick turnaround too.
http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/

I strongly recommend this guy; I found out about him after reading many positive reviews on the "other" site. I think everything, including return shipping, was about $85, but I might be off a buck or two.

Check him out! :supz:
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Thanks for the info guys. I'd rather be safe than sorry on this. I hate getting out on a ride and not have the bike 100% thats all.

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My left one is bowed pretty good but works just fine... until I get a leak it stays as is.... :mrgreen:

Oh...and uh the 95-06 should fit fine!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
GS

Post by GS »

They can bend like a bloody pretzel and not leak at all. Wouldn't try to straighten it though. I worried about the pretzel passing itself of as a rad on the kid's KX100, bought a replacement, didn't put on, but now I KNOW it will NEVER leak
kelasaki

Post by kelasaki »

I'm a little late on this thread, but I repeatedly wadded the left side radiator, side impact style on my 2003. I just looked back at my ebay purchase of a left rad 89-94 and it fit fine. It was cheap $45, or I would have sent mine out for repair. I believe that the lefts were the same, the rights may have changed through the years. WC braces and no more problems.