Wiring Help

Got questions? We got answers....
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Wiring Help

Post by Mayor Brap Brap »

H-series 200. As I'm going through with the rebuilding process, I am taking meticulous heed to the wiring. I have connected and routed all wires according to spec in the manual. However, there are a few things I'm unsure about.

First off, the bike has all UFO plastics, including the taillight and Ghibli (Sahara) headlight. I plugged the brown into red and green/white into black/yellow for the taillight as I read here somewhere that's how it's done.

However, the headlight did not come with wires, and the bike did not come with a light switch. Does anyone know how to wire the UFO Sahara?

Also, should I opt for an aftermarket light switch instead of an OEM? I hope to make this street legal someday, and would appreciate any feedback from those with experience. I installed an HID light on my CRF230 and that thing was bright as hell. Unfortunately, my battery would run out of juice, so I'm assuming I'd have to pump up the KDX stator in order to make it street legal.

Any help is much appreciated! :partyman:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wiring Help

Post by 6 Riders »

To make it street legal, yes you will have to bump the stator up a bit.
As far as your current lighting problem; If you are OK with the light always being on, ground the light, you can use the factory wire (black) or run the ground to the frame, at the ignition coil (factory ground location), then plug the positive wire into the yellow wire. The red wire is switched power (only works if the switch is in the "on" position) which tells me the red and yellow wires are connected somewhere. If you want the lights to turn on/off, you will have to plug the yellow and red wires into (opposite) posts on the switch and then the red wire to the lights + wire.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You can rewire the stator so it puts out more juice, but you're still going to need to wire in a battery and rectifier. Baja Designs has about the best kit I've seen for that. Depending on your state requirements you might be better off going with a KLR switch assembly and wiring it to the headlight/turn signals/horn. As for the brown, that should be the lead from the regulator. Not sure of a green/white, my bike has no green/white...is it the other lead from the regulator? I have attached the KDX200/220 wiring diagram

6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I don't have a battery or rectifier on mine. I'm GOING to put a rectifier on it to run LED turn signals, but other than that....if a cop is sitting behind me (while I'm stopped), I keep the RPMs up to keep the turn signal working, other than the turn signals not lighting up at low RPMs, I have no problems.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Post by Mayor Brap Brap »

Thank you--big help. My issue now is finding the wiring that goes from the headlight to the rest of the wiring on the bike, as the bike did not come with that bit of wiring. Anybody have an extra set, or know where I can get it?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I found my factory harness on E-Bay. You can buy it new also.