newb questions

Got questions? We got answers....
SIRed

newb questions

Post by SIRed »

I have a 93 kdx 200. Starts first kick but runs a little rough and seems sluggish, it also won't idle after it warms up. Any suggestions of where to start?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: newb questions

Post by 6 Riders »

Air filter! ALWAYS start with the air filter!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

newb questions

Post by rbates9 »

Clean the carb.
Fitterman24
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

newb questions

Post by Fitterman24 »

rbates9 wrote:Clean the carb.
+1! 60% of the time it works every time. Seriously, it takes about 20 min. I just assisted my 16 yr old ('01 220) and his buddy ('00 200) remove, clean and reinstall their carbs. They both said their bikes never ran better. They also found that you don't need to be a wizard to figure these things out, and that it was kinda fun.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

before you tear into the carb get yourself 4 4mm by 16 sockethead screws to replace the stocker philipsheads...those things are soft as cheese
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

diymirage wrote:before you tear into the carb get yourself 4 4mm by 16 sockethead screws to replace the stocker philipsheads...those things are soft as cheese
+1 Best mod you can do to your carb. Those bowl screws WILL strip out eventually, and the ounce of prevention is well worth the pound of cure when you have to drill one out.

As you will find if you search through threads about running rough/poorly/sluggishly/etc the same piece of advice pops up....Make sure everything is mechanically sound, clean fuel, clean filter, new plug, repacked silencer. Clean the carb, go through the jetting process. You will learn more about making your bike run in an afternoon of this than a year of just riding and fiddling with bits.
SIRed

newb questions

Post by SIRed »

Thanks for the info...I will start going thru everything in the next couple of days