Setting Idle Speed

Got questions? We got answers....
kkim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Setting Idle Speed

Post by kkim »

I'm having a problem setting the idle so it remains consistent. I have just cleaned the carb in the ultrasonic cleaner and all the passages are now clear, from what I can tell. If I set the idle with the bike sitting straight up, everything is fine. Once I park the bike on the sidestand, the idle drops and the engine seems like it's running way rich. Lift the bike back vertical and the idle goes back to where I set it.

Float level has been checked and is set at 16mm. Should I raise the float level to 18mm?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem can be? Also, my bike came with a different sidestand bolted onto the stock location. Could the stand be a bit shorter than a stock sidestand and the added lean is causing the bike tipping over too much leading to a rich condition? If someone could measure their stock sidestand that would really help isolate this being the problem.

Is it normal for the idle to change when the bike is leaned over? Could a bad jetblock gasket cause this? I opened up the chamber and cleaned it. The gasket looked in pretty good shape as it was just changed when RB worked on the carb about a year ago. I have a new gasket on order to eliminate that as a cause.

Help?
2017 Husqvarna FE250
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Setting Idle Speed

Post by jjavaman »

Mine starts out high and as it warms up ,it slows down to a normal idle. I won't worry about how it idles on the side stand,it doesn't spend much time there :)
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Just checked my stand. 15inches from pivot bolt to foot.
kkim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kkim »

s10gto wrote:Just checked my stand. 15inches from pivot bolt to foot.
Thanks. I just measured the side stand that is presently on my bike and it measures 14.5". Not a significant difference, but it would allow the bike to lean a bit more than the stock stand. I rummaged through my spare parts boxes and found an extra sidestand from some previous generation KDX. Will try mounting that up and see if it makes any difference in the idle problem.

Thanks again for the info.
2017 Husqvarna FE250