Finished my usd fork swap today on my 02 200....

Got questions? We got answers....
AussieKDX200

Post by AussieKDX200 »

Nice work!!

Does anyone know if KLX650 forks (late 90s) are the same fit/dimensions?
1997 KDX200R
braap-attack

Re: Finished my usd fork swap today on my 02 200....

Post by braap-attack »

I think that I am going to try out the stock springs. I'm going to put some thicker oil in also in an attempt to slow them down a bit. I'm about 180 in gear so I think it's worth a shot.

I really wanted to go with more power this winter and have RB do his magic but I have decided to go with suspension instead.

My bike is more in need of suspension and tires anyways. Plus, it runs like a top so it's risky to get into the engine with the fear of screwing it up.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I've ridden more yesterday and today, and I'm still pretty stoked at the usd forks. My front end feels lighter, and the steering is precise as heck. Got a set of guards coming, so I haven't hammered them off-road too much, but I've completely abandoned the idea of onstalling the 2000 kx350 forks. These are plenty good enough for my skill level. Feels like a new bike! Can't get over how light the front feels in comparison. I guess the rigidity is as much to credit as the actual 5 pound weight savings. This weekend it's new oil, and ordering new springs as well as pulling the trigger on a new shock then I'm finished spending money! Yeah!
2002 KDX 200
braap-attack

Post by braap-attack »

Actionman wrote:This weekend it's new oil, and ordering new springs as well as pulling the trigger on a new shock then I'm finished spending money! Yeah!
No way you could be done spending money on it!

What rear shock are you going with?
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

braap-attack wrote:
Actionman wrote:This weekend it's new oil, and ordering new springs as well as pulling the trigger on a new shock then I'm finished spending money! Yeah!
No way you could be done spending money on it!

What rear shock are you going with?
Just another kdx shock. One of the previous owners used a punch to "adjust the preload" and ended up adjusting the shock body and the preload rings instead. Tore it all to pieces. Needs rebuilt anyway, so I'm putting a decent shock on it.
2002 KDX 200
robkdx

Post by robkdx »

I had heard the KDX rear shock is a good unit for a bladder shock. You would need to get an Ohlins or the like to get a better one.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Okay long post ahead. I've ridden even more, and the front end feels strange to me. I completely disassemble the front end, checked torque values, checked fork oil level, made sure front end or brake wasn't binding, etc; but it just feels weird. The suspension aspect feels fine, and the brakes are fine, but it sometimes feels like the front end is going to wash out. Even when I'm going straight. It's more of a feeling I myself have rather than a feeling of the bike doing something though. Am I just not used to the flex not being there? I can't put my finger on what it is. My front tire is a pos teak master, and I'm wondering if the extra rigidity is more than the tire can handle. Anyone else have counsel for me?
2002 KDX 200
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Front tire pressure?
A good front end will make the bike far more sensitive to things like that.
I like around 9 psi front with a heavy tube.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

You actually read my mind Karl. I was going to ask what front and rear pressure I should be at. I'm at 15 psi front and rear to keep from pinch flats.
2002 KDX 200
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I'd think 15 would be a bit "skaty"
I have not followed your progress to know what forks you put on, but fork height and rear sag are critical to getting the bike to feel and steer stable. You've most likely put a taller fork set on there so it is going to feel weird
You can set the rear sag "by the book", say race sag at ~1/3 of travel or 110 mm, I believe.
The front height probably won't be right and you'll likely need to pull the forks up in the triple clamps until the front/rear attitude feels right.
I usually take the bike out to a loop of typical trail that takes 3-4 minutes to run and make fine adjustments to the rear sag from there.
You'll know when you hit the sweet spot, all of a sudden it will just feel on the money. Be carefull because a small change in front fork height or rear sag makes a big difference.

Have fun
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Back when I rode bikes in my younger days, I kept about 25 pounds of air in each tire! I assumed it took that much since the tire said "32 psi max" lol. I used to wonder why I couldn't go as fast as my riding buddies- I guess they weren't bouncing and skating all over the road like I was. I never got a flat in almost 8 years of riding though lol. I've had 2 flats in the past 2 months alone. The previous owner had 6-8 flats on this bikes rear tire. He is a lot heavier and hits everything wide open though; he's the one that gave me my last flat lol.
2002 KDX 200
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

Another vote for 9 psi in the front tire with UHD tubes.

I run higher pressure with the studded tires.

If you don't like the way your KDX handles, put some studded tires on and ride it on the frozen ground and snow. You wont believe how much better it handles when you feel glued down.
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Yep. I lowered the front and rear to 9 psi today and instantly it worked great! Handles awesomely with the usd forks!
2002 KDX 200
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Don't forget to play with fork height in the triples also...I run tire pressure high and low and my bikes don't push at all. The original forks and most USD's are different lengths, so usually you need to have the USD's higher in the triples. I run my YZ125 forks about 1.5" high to get the right ride height. I run fatbar adapters which also act as risers giving the forks the clearance they need under the bars. Where I ride I use 13-14 lbs to keep from pinching tubes...
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Well, after all is said and done I can confirm that the usd swap is definitely a worthwhile mod. I changed fork oil. Torqued all bolts and axle, put tire pressure at 9psi and the bike is just a different machine altogether with the new forks. There had been a few hill climbs I had been crawling up before because I just couldn't keep the stock front end out of the deep ruts; ruts deep enough to stop me cold if I got into them. Now, I can take the same climbs with speed because my front end goes exactly where I point it. I'm still a novice by any measure, but even at my level I can tell you that the amount if flex in the stock fork was holding me back a bit. I was assuming that the kdx just didn't steer very precisely, but with a stiffer set if forks it is a pretty precise steering bike as far as pointing it through ruts and such. I now think I'd like to try those kx250 forks if my buddy will ever bring me the damned things lol.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

kawagumby wrote:Don't forget to play with fork height in the triples also...I run tire pressure high and low and my bikes don't push at all. The original forks and most USD's are different lengths, so usually you need to have the USD's higher in the triples. I run my YZ125 forks about 1.5" high to get the right ride height. I run fatbar adapters which also act as risers giving the forks the clearance they need under the bars. Where I ride I use 13-14 lbs to keep from pinching tubes...
The Klx forks keep the same attitude as the stock kdx forks even if they're flush in the clamps. That's been a big help in trying to get this mod right.
2002 KDX 200
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

Where would be the best to shop for the setup? Ebay? Also which klx model or are they all the same?
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

BlackMist wrote:Where would be the best to shop for the setup? Ebay? Also which klx model or are they all the same?
I used 2005 Klx 300 forks and triples. I paid $130 including shipping. You may as well order upper and lower stem bearings, fork seals and bushings and rebuild em while you're at it. I did, but my forks were in such good shape I didn't bother rebuilding them or replacing bearings yet. That's a project for spring.
2002 KDX 200
braap-attack

Post by braap-attack »

The ones I bought I got off eBay.

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

braap-attack wrote:The ones I bought I got off eBay.

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk
That's where I got mine also.
2002 KDX 200