Finished my usd fork swap today on my 02 200....

Got questions? We got answers....
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I received my klr300 usd forks a couple days ago. I hit the proverbial jackpot in that the forks looked brand new, didn't need seals, and the bearings were in almost as good of shape as my brand new set of steering bearings I'd bought. I spent today installing them, and holy cow what a difference! The amount of flex in the stock kdx forks was immediately noticeable now that it's not there with the usd forks, and oddly enough the usd forks weighed almost five pounds less (with axle and clamps ) than the stock forks and clamps without axle. These forks were in much better shape than my stockers, so the damping is plush and smooth as heck as well. This is the one mod I'd recommend to everyone. It is awesome! The precision of steering compared to stock is amazing. You don't notice the stock forks flexing and wobbling all over the trail until you have a set of more rigid forks on to compare them to. Awesome, awesome upgrade!
2002 KDX 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Finished my usd fork swap today on my 02 200....

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the report, as well as the weight difference. That is interesting.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Here's the finished bike: Image
Here's how I mounted my headlight: I cut 4 pieces of plastic from an old fender and slotted them to make brackets. I can adjust my light up or down about 3 inches and angle it any way I need with this setup. Image
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Got a long ride in today and its hard to get used to the lack of flex in the forks, as well as the feeling in the solid-mount handlebars. There's almost too much feedback for me now. It will inevitably get better as I get used to it though. The precision of the front end is sooo much better now; I used to have trouble hitting a certain rut or line through the mud but now I can place the wheel accurately. I thought it was a frame geometry issue, but it must've been flex in the front end. Wow, those stockers are flexy!
2002 KDX 200
Chaz955i

Post by Chaz955i »

Did the KDX front wheel bolt right up or did you use the KLX wheel? Also did the steering stem and trees need modified?

Thanks,
CHuck
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Jason wrote:Thanks for the report, as well as the weight difference. That is interesting.
My scales suck, so may as well say its between a 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 pound savings. I can't figure out why they'd be that much lighter though.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Chaz955i wrote:Did the KDX front wheel bolt right up or did you use the KLX wheel? Also did the steering stem and trees need modified?

Thanks,
CHuck
I used the kdx wheel, Klx triple clamp and stem, and Klx axle and spacer. Also kdx brake line and caliper. No mods at all needed. Remove kdx forks and clamp, and slide the Klx clamp into the frame and install the Klx forks. Easy as pie. Btw: the Klx and kdx axle and spacer were the same length and size. I just used the klx cause they were within reach when I installed the wheel lol. The Kdx ones would've been fine.
Last edited by Actionman on 03:56 pm Nov 13 2013, edited 1 time in total.
2002 KDX 200
Chaz955i

Post by Chaz955i »

Actionman wrote:
Chaz955i wrote:Did the KDX front wheel bolt right up or did you use the KLX wheel? Also did the steering stem and trees need modified?

Thanks,
CHuck
I used the kdx wheel, Klx triple clamp and stem, and Klx axle and spacer. Also kdx brake line and caliper. No mods at all needed. Remove kdx forks and clamp, and slide the Klx clamp into the frame and install the Klx forks. Easy as pie.
Thanks and nice job.
JasonK94Z

Post by JasonK94Z »

What year kdx 300 fork and clamp setup?
Also, did you have to mod the stem?
Is the suspension travel the same, more, or less?

It's hard to get a straight forward parts list on forks to use, modification, etc.
2002 KDX 220R
2003 KLR 650
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

My Klx forks and complete triple clamps were a 2005 model. No stem swap or other nonsense needed.
1. Remove kdx wheel, stock forks, and triple clamp.
2. Take Klx triple clamp and insert into kdx frame.
3. Install Klx forks, kdx front wheel and brake caliper.
4. Ride into sunset.

The kdx front axle and axle spacer is used as well as the odometer housing on the right side of the wheel. Order a set of Klx 300 forks, and a complete upper and lower klx300 triple clamp( preferably with Klx stem intact). That's all you need to do. If it would've involved pressing out stems or machine work I never have fooled with it. All your doing is swapping one complete front end with another one- no modding or fabbing needed. So simple even an idiot ( me!) can do it!
Last edited by Actionman on 09:58 pm Nov 13 2013, edited 3 times in total.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

JasonK94Z wrote:What year kdx 300 fork and clamp setup?
Also, did you have to mod the stem?
Is the suspension travel the same, more, or less?

It's hard to get a straight forward parts list on forks to use, modification, etc.
I measured travel to be exactly the same with a ruler. My method may have been flawed, but I'm pretty sure they're the same. The Klx front forks, axle, spacer, and upper/lower triple clamp weighs almost 5 pounds less than the kdx forks and triple(without axle). The Klx forks hit the kdx tank slightly, but a bit of extra metal can be welded onto the frame stop to compensate. Also, In my opinion, I wouldn't want any bigger diameter than these. I may change my mind later, but to me any more stiffness would be a negative not a positive. Talk to me in six months though, cause I may change my mind about that.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Here's what I ordered:Image
That's the parts list. 1. Klx forks 2. Klx upper an lower triple clamp. Everything else you can use kdx parts, so nothing else to buy.
Shop around for a good set before you buy. Mine literally look like they've never seen any use. I got lucky in that my seals and upper and lower clamp bearings also looked like new, but id buy bushings, seals, and a set of triple clamp bearings and replace em while you've got the forks in hand.
2002 KDX 200
JasonK94Z

Post by JasonK94Z »

I had no idea it was just that easy of a swap! What with all the posts about knurling the stem, etc?
This makes it sound like a straight swap of parts!
2002 KDX 220R
2003 KLR 650
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

JasonK94Z wrote:I had no idea it was just that easy of a swap! What with all the posts about knurling the stem, etc?
This makes it sound like a straight swap of parts!
Only Klx and later model kx500 front ends are direct swaps. Anything else like newer kx or kxf or anything else will have issues with stem length, diameter, etc and will also need the kdx stem pressed into whichever triple clamp you're using. Some folks like the bigger diameter kx forks, but the Klx are fine for my skill level. They are 43mm, so it's like flipping a stock set upside down(the stock kdx are 43mm as well). I've noticed a big change in steering precision and rigidity- and in fact it's hard to get used to at first. I can't imagine how stiff a set of 46 or 48mm forks would feel!
2002 KDX 200
braap-attack

Post by braap-attack »

I can't wait to get mine now. I just bought a complete front end off a 98 klx 300 minus bars. I'll have to order a new upper triple or use adapters for my twinwall bars but nonetheless I can't wait to try em. Unfortunately for me up here in the frozen tundra my season is over.

Are you using stock springs in them?
What do you weigh in at with gear?
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

braap-attack wrote:I can't wait to get mine now. I just bought a complete front end off a 98 klx 300 minus bars. I'll have to order a new upper triple or use adapters for my twinwall bars but nonetheless I can't wait to try em. Unfortunately for me up here in the frozen tundra my season is over.

Are you using stock springs in them?
What do you weigh in at with gear?
I weigh 200 pounds complete. The forks feel soft and supple so far, but my old forks were wore out. I can tell ill need stiffer springs if I decide to increase my trail speed- but I'm slow.
2002 KDX 200
rsr02
Supporting Member

Post by rsr02 »

On mine the only mod I had to do was "dent" the stock tank a little because the new forks turn a little farther then the stock. I think my steering stops might be worn/damaged a little because I never hear anyone else having to do it.
If you have not done this yet, DO IT. The biggest change on my bike was the high speed stability. The stock flexed so bad that I would end up with the front end twisting back and forth after a bump, it was scary.

Also I would get some fork guards on there before you ride much more. First time I went out with my new set up, I went down on some rocks and put a big scrap/gash on the guards that probably would have scratched the fork tubes.
1997 220, KLX forks-pipe-reeds-trials tire
JasonK94Z

Post by JasonK94Z »

Valving already decent on the KLX forks? I understand replacing springs for my weight. This is too easy to pass up! :supz:
2002 KDX 220R
2003 KLR 650
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Post by Mayor Brap Brap »

Questions:

What year KLX forks are ideal?
Can other KLX models work too, like the 250?
Is the travel the same as the KDX? It looks a little shorter.
How does the KDX speedo work in this configuration?
Does this change the length of the front end?
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Mayor Brap Brap wrote:Questions:

What year KLX forks are ideal?
Can other KLX models work too, like the 250?
Is the travel the same as the KDX? It looks a little shorter.
How does the KDX speedo work in this configuration?
Does this change the length of the front end?
I'm not sure which years are best. I'm also not sure if the 250 works. The travel measured the same when I measured it, and the attitude of the nose seems the same. The stock odometer drive slips right on. Matter of fact I'm using the odo drive housing on that side of my forks.
2002 KDX 200