220 piston

Got questions? We got answers....
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

220 piston

Post by s10gto »

Good morning everyone. Just picked up a mint 12 hour 05 220. Thanks to a few members here I have been forwarned about the piston issue. Glad I came here. Before I go out riding I am going to do the top end.

I have been out of bikes for about 12 years. Back then Wiseco was the go to piston. Now I see they offer a Wiseco pro lite. Is this the best? What would you use?

Thanks in advance and a big thanks to the Forum for saving me a ton of work and $$$$. :grin:
ethankdx

220 piston

Post by ethankdx »

I'm pretty sure Pro-Lite is forged vs. its cast counterparts (OEM, Pro-X, Vertex, etc.). Forging is the technique used to make the pistons and usually results in a product that is stronger which allows them to make them lighter as well. A lighter piston will create less stress being on the end of your connecting rod and should slightly improve throttle response due to less reciprocating mass.

I personally just did my top end and put a Wiseco Pro-Lite piston in, Right now I'm just debugging a few issues, Haven't really had a chance to ride it yet.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: 220 piston

Post by s10gto »

Thanks Ethan. I am familiar with pistons as I am a auto engine builder (antique to race) just don't deal with the powersport side so wasn't sure about other companys that may have come up. Always liked Wiseco for bikes. Like the idea of a forged piston that is close to stock weight. Will weigh it when I get both in my hands.

Good luck with your bike! :grin:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Wiseco is a very popular option on the KDX220R piston.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
cornishwrecker220

220 piston

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Here in the UK there have been reports of the `ring pins` working their way out on the wiseco pistons causing a lot of damage...they say its due to the manufacturing process overseas where the pistons are made & where the quality hasn't been up to usual scratch..If the pistons were made in the USA then fine but wiseco are also made under licence & from china where its cheaper to produce/manufacture etc probably for the European market...not sure how accurate the info was but once a few horror stories start to appear then it just makes you think....I fitted a wossoner piston to my 220 without any worries & its still going strong.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Interesting piston. I like the coated skirts. Thanks