91 KDX200 Rebuild -Questions.

Got questions? We got answers....
ethankdx

Post by ethankdx »

Evening Lads,
I decided about a month ago to do a total rebuild of my bottom end and top end. Bearings and Seals for the bottom end and new piston gaskets for the top end. I got the cases split, new bearings and seals put in. Transmission put back in. Cases put back together. Then it came to the right side assembly with the kick start mechanism and the clutch. Once I got the bike put back together and tried to kick over. The kickstarter would go down but would not really rebound. (I'm guessing I have to preload the spring a bit more.) I was kicking and kicking and almost gave up but then I heard a sign of life. I got the bike running, For a 16 year old kid splitting the cases, putting the bike together in one piece, and getting the motor to actually run, I thought that wasn't to shabby. I had let it warm up for a bit, and then I thought... just go for it. Popped it into first and went off. I noticed that it's not shifting very good. When the bike is off and I'm trying to shift, It doesn't feel right. Didn't feel like it had felt before. (I'm pretty sure I put the transmission back together properly, not missing anything.)

So My questions are:
1. To get the kickstarter to rebound, Do I have to preload the kickstarter spring a bit more? Or did I just happen to screw up somewhere?
2. The shifting doesn't seem right, I'm not sure if it is the clutch plates, or if it is the transmission side of things. (I wouldn't mind splitting the cases for the 4th time. - Pretty good at it now)

I'm use to not being understood, so If you want me to clarify anything let me know, I would really appreciate some input.

Cheers!
Ethan
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Does the 91 have the little white plastic collar that goes inside the spring on the kick starter? That can be a pain to get together right. The spring should be pulled a little and set into the hole.

Did you get the shifter and all the pieces sitting on the pin correct?

You do have the manual, right???? that will show you where things need to be.
ethankdx

Post by ethankdx »

Yes, the 91' has a little white plastic collar type deal. I thought I had it correct. there was tension with the spring. I'll crack it open tomorrow, just a pain to take the engine off.

When it comes to the shifter, i was talking to my father... I remember not torquing the clutch spring bolts. Was going to torque them but forgot, I might have them to tight. Would that cause an issue in shifting?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You didn't really say what your shifting problem was. The clutch may have something to do with it but it should shift fine without the clutch.
ethankdx

Post by ethankdx »

It's hard to describe, Ill get back to you.
ethankdx

Post by ethankdx »

I got the shifting resolved (I believe), I got the kick starting resolved as well...

New Issues,
- Clutch just won't engage... I adjusted it, and it just won't engage. I start bike in neutral, put it into first and it just takes off with clutch still pulled in.
-Bike is idling like garbage, It wants to bog out without giving it gas... I ruled out the carburetor, cleaned everything. Cleaned jets. Checked reed valves. Adjusted screws. Could it have something to do with the timing? I marked it before i took magneto and put it back to where it was at.

Cheers!
Ethan