Is there any kx shocks that'll fit an 02 kdx200?

Got questions? We got answers....
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Ive got a set of klr 300 forks on the way, and a set of 2000 kx250 forks also available, but Im going to buy another shock since the threads on my stock shock are fubared beyond hope. I ran a thread file over them but Im still going to get another one. Kdx shocks are outrageous on ebay, and the kx chassis Im buying has a non kx shock jerry-rigged on it so I cant test that one. Does anyone know if any year kx shock will fit? If not Im in the market for a stock shock if anyone has a spare with preload threads that havent been beaten into submission with a chisel lol.
2002 KDX 200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Depending on where the threads are bad you may be able to use a spacer of some sort to raise the nuts to a higher position on the shock but keep the spring in the correct place. Most KX shocks will be too long and would require some internal shortening to get to work right.

Someone on here did get a KX shock mounted but I cant remember who or what they did to make it work. Try searching.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Is there any kx shocks that'll fit an 02 kdx200?

Post by Actionman »

The only shock thatll fit without question is a klx. I did some research and the klx 300 uses the same bearing top and bottom and the same mounting bolts. I just went ahead and ordered a klx shock in great shape but needing a rebuild. Ill build one nice shock out of it.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

rbates9 wrote:Depending on where the threads are bad you may be able to use a spacer of some sort to raise the nuts to a higher position on the shock but keep the spring in the correct place. Most KX shocks will be too long and would require some internal shortening to get to work right.

Someone on here did get a KX shock mounted but I cant remember who or what they did to make it work. Try searching.
I hate to admit it rb, but it just looks like total crap and thats the reason Im changing it out! Im on a loooong mission to totally rebuild my bike to almost new shape and the rear shock was beat to death by someone using a punch or chisel to adjust preload. The preload rings were cracked and bent as well. I have a klx shock, seal head, bottoming bumper, and new spring on the way! After tax time, Im rebuilding the motor, painting the frame, and installing new plastic and new bolts all around. Anything not totally sound mechanically is gettin replaced!
2002 KDX 200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Sounds good but you may want to check the length before you get to far with it. The KLX does seem to be pretty compatable with the KDX on some things.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

A Klx shock will NOT fit the kdx: the reservoir is on the wrong side! I caught it before my shock shipped out and the seller was good enough to cancel the order. I gotta pay more attention!
2002 KDX 200