Is my clutch bad?

Got questions? We got answers....
trevorda8

Is my clutch bad?

Post by trevorda8 »

Hi, I just bought a 1986 KDX 200 and the guy who sold it to me said it needed a new clutch. I did some reading on the internet and it diddnt match the symptoms that I was having.
The problem is: The motor does not disengage all the way when the clutch lever is held. I took the cover off and some gears fell out and I am stuck, I dont want to dig any deeper and am thinking of hiring a mechanic. But if I diddnt, how would I know my clutch plates are bad? what are some visual ways of telling that the clutch needs to be replaced? Do I need a torque wrench to re-tighten the screws that fasten the clutch assenbly? I tried to tighten the clutch cable by backing the screw out at the clutch lever but it diddnt seem to make any difference.
Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Is my clutch bad?

Post by rbates9 »

Where are you located?
trevorda8

Is my clutch bad?

Post by trevorda8 »

Ok update: I just went out to the shop and messed with the screws that go through the springs. I found that some of the screws weren't even touching the surface of the metal. Maybe that is my problem> Maybe the screws need to be adjusted?? And how?
P.S. I figured out where all the pieces go.
I am located in Rochester, WA
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Is my clutch bad?

Post by bufftester »

1.) Get a service manual. Your bike will thank you for it.
2.) Yes, you want a torque wrench, it is a critical tool to keep you from doing more damage than good.
3.) The pressure plate screws are adjusted by torquing them to the proper value called out in the service manual (on the H/As its 78 INCH-lbs, probably similar on the 86). Get these torqued down right then adjust your clutch lever play using the cable adjusters. Clutches are not too difficult once you start looking at it and working with it, visually it will make sense. A clutch job requires little in the way of special tools, other than an impact wrench which make life much easier.
trevorda8

Post by trevorda8 »

Do you think the screws are my problem?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I can't say for sure, since you mentioned opening it up and a bunch of gears fell out. pics would be helpful. At the very least if it were me I'd do a clutch job (new plates, springs, inspect basket for wear on the fingers, etc). What condition was the oil in? What did the oil smell like? (that's a real question, not a joke) How long had it been sitting? What condition is the rest of the bike in? (gives a good indication to the way it was maintained). And as I mentioned, pics help a ton.
trevorda8

Is my clutch bad?

Post by trevorda8 »

Well the guy before me diddn't really do anything with it. He got it on a trade and was too busy to do anything but change the oil in it. The oil was yellow and fresh. I'm sure it was about 30w motor oil. I got some Honda 80w that I will use when I'm done with the clutch. Not sure about how long it has been sitting. I figured out the gear deal and where everything goes. The clutch doesn't rotate- like is there a part of the clutch that rotates separately from the flywheel?
As far as the condition, everything looks fresh inside, bearings look good, minimal wear of the gears.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

if you remove the clutch pressure plate bolts and springs, the basket and the fiber plates (along with the flywheel) should rotate separately from the clutch hub and the steel plates (ensure you're in neutral). Sometimes when the bike has sat a long time the plates can bind together, hence the suggestion to do a clutch job, or at least pull them all apart and inspect them.
trevorda8

Post by trevorda8 »

I'll try to take some pictures next time I'm out there.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Is my clutch bad?

Post by scheckaet »

check my sig for newb thread, there is a post about clutch.
trevorda8

Is my clutch bad?

Post by trevorda8 »

How freely should the inner part (the part that the spring screws screw into) of the clutch assembly spin? It doesnt spin very freely and thats is what I think my original problem was (motor did not disengage all the way when clutch lever was held). Also I was not abel to remove the big nut in the middle. It wouldnt be reverse-thread would it? My manual says nothing about it being reverse. Its a 1986 so there is no lock clip.
I cant figure out how to post a picture in my post. Could someone please tell me how? I just took some pictures and I think they will help diagnose.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

How much free play is there at the lever? Are you aware that the clutch cable can be adjusted?
trevorda8

Post by trevorda8 »

Yes I tried adjusting the cabl before I took it apart. Some of the spring screws weren't even touching the outer plate.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I cant figure out how to post a picture in my post. Could someone please tell me how? I just took some pictures and I think they will help diagnose.
I had trouble posting pics here as well when I first joined. You have to have them hosted on a site such as Photobucket and then you can post from there. It's been a while since I've posted a pic here so I forget the exact procedure but before you can proceed you need to set up an account with a hosting service.
trevorda8

Post by trevorda8 »

Theres my pic
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Is my clutch bad?

Post by ICRage42 »

I can see you tore into it too far to do a clutch. You really need a manual you can get the online version here or eBay. Not trying to be a jerk you could of saved some grief. Clutch isn't that hard. Got a pic of the parts that fell out?
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
trevorda8

Post by trevorda8 »

I figured out where everything goes. I have a manual. I'm having difficulty getting the main hub nut loose. It isnt reverse-threaded is it? My manual says nothing about it being reverse threaded. I pulled on it pretty hard and Im afraid it will break.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Also basket looks notched , well on my phone blown up some

On my h series it was reg thread just used impact to remove to tighten u need a tool copper penny some imegenuity etc but impact usually takes em off easily

Harbor freight sells a cheap one that works good for the job
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Is my clutch bad?

Post by ICRage42 »

Also some do but I wouldn't use impact to put back on I have a torque wrench ....torque specs are there for a reason I believe its because Kawasaki knows the point of when you'll never get that bolt out again :grin:
ethankdx

Is my clutch bad?

Post by ethankdx »

I might be incorrect on the current situation as I just skimmed through the topic. I had a similar issue. I had gone through everything, took all my plates out soaked them in transmission oil put them back in, and that didn't fix the problem. In my situation, I went up on a hill started the bike, and coasted down popping it into first or second and trying to un stick the clutch, Sure enough after pulling in the clutch and reving the engine a bunch, it had come unstuck.