1989 kdx200 dc conversion

Got questions? We got answers....
bigchopperguy

Post by bigchopperguy »

Hello all, trying to install a voltage regulator rectifier and small battery pack to a 1989 kdx 200. can anyone provide a wiring diagram to accomplish this? any help would be greatly appreciated. john
patricktjms

Re: 1989 kdx200 dc conversion

Post by patricktjms »

how small/big of a battery pack? AA's or a small 12v battery? how many amps are you looking to put into this battery? are you charging a phone or running a spotlight? I have some schematics of some but i kinda need to know what kind of power you want.
Its not rocket surgery...
bigchopperguy

Post by bigchopperguy »

Thanks for the reply. I bought a battery pack from baja designs which consists of 10 1.2volt nicad batteries. I have their regulator rectifier as well. I intend to run a headlight (25w) and led combo tail brake light bulb that replaces a traditional dual filament automotive bulb and that is all. thanks so much
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

BD has a pdf page on their site labeled FLOATING THE GROUND ON KDX. Their tech info looks pretty good. Have you looked at this page, or talked to them about your specific application?
bigchopperguy

Post by bigchopperguy »

I spent an hour on the phone with them today mostly arguing about this model not having a factory voltage regulator and was essentially left to "do my on research". from what I can tell there is only one charge wire (yellow) coming from the stator. I tend to believe this wire should tie into one or both yellow wires on the regulator, red to battery and light switch, black to battery and ground. make any sense to you?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

If all your going to run is a 25 watt headlight and an LED tail/brake light why convert to DC? It will just cause more problems as your going to need to upgrade your stator (30-35 watts AC) for it to work.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bigchopperguy

Post by bigchopperguy »

I was told this system produces a max of 45 watts of unregulated ac power which works fine with a 25 headlight and a 10 watt taillight. When I added a standard dual filament bulb (for a brake light) the headlight and taillight would dim when applying the brakes at low speed. when I changed to an led rear bulb apparently it does not draw enough to keep the voltage in balance and blows the headlight. I thought by converting to a regulator rectifier and battery it would be a more manageable system. idk
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: 1989 kdx200 dc conversion

Post by dude541 »

I am in the middle of this at the moment myself, but I have upgraded my stator to an 85 watt item, and will be using a trail tech reg/rec.
varied info on how these need to be wired up! a lot say you have to remove your earth from the stator and add another wire in so both poles are connected to both yellow wires on the reg/rec, BUT you don't! you can leave your stator how it is, connect up the one yellow, then just earth the other yellow from the reg/rec to the frame.
but whatever you connect up then 12v dc wise will need to be connected directly to the reg/rec-battery, + & -.
I also will be using a small lithium ion motorcycle battery, I am sick of blowing rear leds using AC power, they don't seem to last 5 minutes!
and yes my ac regulator is fine! :grin:
so its DC for me, will make it so much easier to add anything else on in the future!
best regards
john
bigchopperguy

Post by bigchopperguy »

Thanks John, I'll follow your directions and wire it up today.