Clutch Reassembly Help, Please?

Got questions? We got answers....
kkim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kkim »

I've removed the Dynaring and reinstalled the stock clutch friction and drive plates that I removed when I installed the Dynaring. Once reassembled, I get a very hard clutch lever feel. Also the lever will not go all the way back to the handlebar when I pull it in.

I've disassembled, inspected and reinstalled it a couple of times now with no change in the lever feel. When I start it in neutral, everything idles fine, but when I put it into gear with the clutch pulled in as far as I can pull it, the engine idle lowers like the clutch is dragging. I've obviously missed something on reassembly, but I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm using a service manual for guidance.

I'm sure it's a misprint in the manual, but there are 8 friction and 7 steel plates, right? Manual says 7 friction, but the online parts sources say 8, so I don't think I have one too many plates, do I?

With regard to the last plate, should I offset it like it says in the manual or will the clutch work fine with all the plates stacked in a row? I've made sure the slipper washers are installed correctly, too.

I measured the friction plates and they seem to be in spec. Also, I installed some new clutch springs as the old ones were out of spec.

I've tried installing the pusher arm w/ no spacer washer and with one spacer washer with no difference in the hard pull problem. Cable is fine as I can slide the cable freely when nothing is hooked up to it. Is there a trick when reinstalling the cover back onto the bike to align the pusher rod and arm onto the cover?

Someone please point out what an idiot I am in what it is I'm overlooking. What can cause the symptoms I'm having? :blink:

Thanks,
Kelly
2017 Husqvarna FE250
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Clutch Reassembly Help, Please?

Post by 6 Riders »

Do you have the flat part of the clutch arm facing the clutch? Also the position of the cable arm. double check that too. Seems at one point I had the same problem and it was one (or both) of those things.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
kkim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kkim »

So you're saying you had a problem when you put the clutch cover back on? I have the clutch arm facing back when I install the cover, according to the manual.

I'll take the cover back off and pay more attention to the interface on reassembly and see if that helps.
2017 Husqvarna FE250
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I did this the first time I had the side cover off years ago. When installing the cover, the clutch shaft has the flat side against the pusher, if the spring and the clutch release shaft are correct, the shaft will be facing the back of the bike. When you go to re-install the cable you should have to move the shaft forward, If you have to "fight" a little to get the clutch cable hooked up to the shaft, then it is correct.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
kkim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kkim »

Yes, I have the flat portion of the shaft facing back when installing the cover. The manual says to lift the arm as you install the cover and turn it forward until you feel resistance, then put the bolts in. It seems something needs to be in alignment when the cover is being put back on for the actuator to operate properly.

i just had the cover back off, looked everything over closely and it seems I'm installing the cover correctly, though the part about lifting the arm while installing the cover then having about 6mm spacing between the cover and the arm once everything is installed doesn't make sense to me and my cover goes back on without problems... so that's what I must be doing wrong... somehow. I'll try it a few more time and see if it improves.
2017 Husqvarna FE250
kkim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kkim »

Okay, still need some help. I still can't get the clutch to operate properly.

What should the stack height of an in spec clutch be? I suspect I might have swollen plates which is keeping the plates from separating when I pull in the clutch.
2017 Husqvarna FE250
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Check to make sure the washer that goes on after the basket but before the hub is in place. I have often tried to shortcut putting the clutch in as one assembly (sliding the basket, hub and plates all at once onto the trans shaft) and ended up with that washer down between the basket and hub. This results in there not being enough space in the clutch to fully disengage. I have also managed to taco the bottom steel plate by trying to shortcut a clutch install. I now install everything one piece at a time.
David Eckel
kkim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kkim »

Thanks, Dave. I'll disassemble and check your suggestions. I'm pretty sure I have all the parts in place, but your comment about assembling the clutch one piece at a time has me wondering if I did screw something up. I assembled the plates into the basket and held everything in place with the inner hub and springs and bolts all mounted as a unit, then slid the preassembled unit into place. I did this to make sure the plates are indeed bottomed in the clutch basket during plate installation. Perhaps this is causing the problem.
2017 Husqvarna FE250
kkim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kkim »

Follow up to this post. I installed a new clutch kit and the clutch now operates beautifully. I'm guessing the old plates were swollen and not separating fully when I pulled in the clutch lever.

Thanks for the help.
2017 Husqvarna FE250